Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys sorry i am new here and have been struggling with my k7 600 for a time.
I have blown my rectifier and in the proses of this my ignition started smoking. After a few day ive removed the ignition to find my problem and got to a poped resister of something,, but anyways now i am sitting with a problem in finding an replacement for my ignition,, i can get an ignition with the key with the chip for that ignition but it is for an gsxr 1000.
The wires are the same everything ,, my question is will it work ,, will it start my bike or will i still need to do coding on the bike?

Please guys im stuck anyone to help me thx

Dylan

·
Administrator
11,250 Posts
Welcome.

It is likely the switches are the same part number and you can confirm that by looking up the numbers online for both bikes. There is usually a part number on the switch also.

First, are you sure you have an immobilizer system? The immobilizer system is not used in the US so this is just what I've gathered over the years from other posts.
If it does have the immobilizer, then yes, the ECM needs to see the correct chipped key to work. I think a dealer can code it as I recall.

There are two parts to your issue. The physical key tumbler and chip.

To keep things happy, could you take apart the old switch and just swap the tumbler assembly into the new switch?
That way you could keep your original key with the chip that the ECM likes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the reply , yes it has an imobilizer because i have checked my harness with my manual to confirm. I have stripped the back of the imobilizer op to check what is causing it and i found that an IC or something has poped.

I started shopping arround for an ignition and and ecm to work together but i cant find ,, i could only find the gsxr k7 1000 ,, but the switches are identical ,, so now my question is wil it work as i have the key of that spicic ignition and i have the key of my ECM,, will it work ,and if it does wil it need coding?

·
Registered
947 Posts
"I have stripped the back of the imobilizer op to check what is causing it and i found that an IC or something has poped."
Don't know what that means.
The immobilizer stuff is in the ECM and the key (they are matched). The switch just allows the ECM to read the key and the cluster displays what's going on. The key also has cuts that are necessary to turn the switch. There are several approaches. Suzuki recommends replacing everything, i.e. the ECM, keys, and all locks. Easy but expensive. A new switch can have the tumblers changed to match an existing key. Alternately a new key can be acquired and the key cut & cloned to match the immobilizer codes in the old key. There are companies that can reprogram an ECM to match an existing key. As I understand it, you can use an unchipped key to turn the ignition switch on while holding the correct chipped key next to the switch's antenna coils.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts