Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how are you? I have a 06 GSXR 600, when I got it back in July the previous owner told me that it doesn’t hold charge so initially I thought the rectifier and stator are bad which they were so I replaced them and the bike still won’t hold charge, after working for while on the bike I found out that my wiring harness was shorting out so I replaced it and it holds charge just fine. However I ran into another problem shortly after the fix, while I was riding the lo beam didn’t work so I started to use the HI beam which stopped working a few minutes. The next day when I went to go for a ride as soon as I got out of my driveway the bike literally died, like no power no nothing when I turn the key ON and OFF. I assumed I had bad battery, so I go ahead and change that the gauges are working fine but now the fuel pump isn’t priming so I checked fuse box my ignition fuse was blown and I put another fuse from the spare and it blew again. I changed the stator,rectifier, wiring harness and the starter button which I thought it’ll fix the headlight issue and it didn’t, I’m at a dead end from what reading I’m not sure if I have a bad ECU because my wirings are all fine. Btw my signals are working just fine. Y’all help would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
Welcome.

From the information you provide, I don't think I have good news.

My guess is the R/R was overcharging (high voltage) which blew your head light bulbs then fried the battery and then the ECM.

Were there any funny sulfurous (rotten egg) smells from the bike during all this?

First check to do is to unplug the ECM and if the ignition fuse does not blow when replaced, the ECM is toast.

After that, put a voltmeter on the system when you get the bike running and check the charging voltage. It is likely your R/R is bad. My second guess is the R/R was a cheap Chinese Ebay crap part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

From the information you provide, I don't think I have good news.

My guess is the R/R was overcharging (high voltage) which blew your head light bulbs then fried the battery and then the ECM.

Were there any funny sulfurous (rotten egg) smells from the bike during all this?

First check to do is to unplug the ECM and if the ignition fuse does not blow when replaced, the ECM is toast.

After that, put a voltmeter on the system when you get the bike running and check the charging voltage. It is likely your R/R is bad. My second guess is the R/R was a cheap Chinese Ebay crap part.
Every time I stopped the bike it did smell kinda funky, I’m gonna to have to check the R/R, currently I have a ricks stator on it and a R/R from Parts Giant it wasn’t cheap nor expensive and definitely not Chinese lol, I also have a new battery on it which I bought a couple of days ago, I’m just bummed because I only got to ride it like three times since I got it in June and that I almost changed every electrical component.

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
I had not heard of Parts Giant but looked at saw they sold Ricks and Electrosport. Ricks has a very good reputation and I don't think Electrosport has a bad one.

Get it running first and do the charging system voltage check with the new battery. The system should be 14.0 -15.5 volts at 5k rpm.

An over charging regulator voltage will be about right at idle but go over 16 volts and higher as you increase the rpm. The battery acts as a buffer till it boils out then the voltage spikes very high and fries things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had not heard of Parts Giant but looked at saw they sold Ricks and Electrosport. Ricks has a very good reputation and I don't think Electrosport has a bad one.

Get it running first and do the charging system voltage check with the new battery. The system should be 14.0 -15.5 volts at 5k rpm.

An over charging regulator voltage will be about right at idle but go over 16 volts and higher as you increase the rpm. The battery acts as a buffer till it boils out then the voltage spikes very high and fries things.
Okay I’ll be checking that, however the fuel pump isn’t priming so the bike isn’t going to start, when I hit the starter button to start its blows my ignition fuse, you thinks it’s from the ECM?

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
Okay I’ll be checking that, however the fuel pump isn’t priming so the bike isn’t going to start, when I hit the starter button to start its blows my ignition fuse, you thinks it’s from the ECM?
Hmm.... New information.

The fuel pump is controlled by the ECM and one of the most common symptoms of a fried ECM is the fuel pump stops working.

To clarify, with the ignition and kill switch on, the ignition fuse does not blow? Only when you press the starter button?

Is "CHEC" showing in the temp window with the ignition and kill switch on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm.... New information.

The fuel pump is controlled by the ECM and one of the most common symptoms of a fried ECM is the fuel pump stops working.

To clarify, with the ignition and kill switch on, the ignition fuse does not blow? Only when you press the starter button?

Is "CHEC" showing in the temp window with the ignition and kill switch on?
Hello, Sorry for the late reply, the ignition fuse blows when I hit the kill switch on and there’s no fuel pump priming also, I checked my R/R it’s all good with the stator, I’m confused at this point I want to know if it’s for sure the ECM that needs replacement.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,698 Posts
Seems to me, you have a dead short somewhere. I might start by checking the switch, then maybe unplug the fuel pump. Next try the ECM. Keep unplugging things until the fuse doesn't blow. A little primitive, but you'll get results fast.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
I just replaced the both fuses, and the ignition fuse blew again when I hit the kill switch on.
It has been suggested twice to unplug the ECM and see if the ignition fuse still blows but carry on.

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for not replying back life got me busy. I had unplugged the ECM and hit the kill switch on and the ignition fuse didn’t blow, so I’m assuming that my ECM is fried?
Yes, that is the 99% guess. ECMs should not be shorted.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,898 Posts
Don't jump the gun to the ECM. It could be something controlled by the ECM (fuel pump relay for example) that is also fed power by the ignition fuse. No power to the ECM, no trigger.

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
Don't jump the gun to the ECM. It could be something controlled by the ECM (fuel pump relay for example) that is also fed power by the ignition fuse. No power to the ECM, no trigger.
Re-read the first few posts.

·
Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
2,898 Posts
My guess is the wiring to the right switch pod is questionable. Lights not working could point to the start button. Kill switch shorting out everything... kill switch is the main power feed to pretty much everything. I'd be testing the ins and outs of that pod.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, that is the 99% guess. ECMs should not be shorted.
I replaced the ECM and the fuse isn’t blowing no more and the starter is turning as well, before replacing the ECM the starter wasn’t turning but now it does, however the fuel pump is still not priming, what else can I check or do? Has the fuel pump gone bad? I’ve checked it’s connectors and they seemed fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts