Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I want to know they best way NOT to shred my fairings and get a clean cut when I dremel the hole for the new sliders

i.e. - using tape on both sides, cut small and slowly work way out...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
No cuts are the way to go IMO. But if you want to use the others. the tape on both sides is a must. And use on of those like door hole cutting deals on you drill. The drill bit that starts it somewhat stops the hole cutting part from acting a fool.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i like the no cuts as well, but if you are gonna cut your fairings, use a hole saw thats about 1/8th inch too small then sand the edge with sandpaper, working your way through finer grits to smooth any roughness

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've "tested" no-cuts and they failed miserably. I use cuts now and will always do so. They're not meant to save your fairings - they're not called Fairing Sliders. They're meant to save your frame, which is what my no-cuts bent the piss out of.

I used a 1/2" spade bit to make the hole. I just measured the diamater of my slider first and it's a perfect fit. Used a dremel to clean up the outer edge.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,477 Posts
Silly boys with their no cut sliders. No cut sliders equals: I don't have a clue about sportbikes and/or the forces involved in a crash, I have no confidence in operating power tools, and I don't really ride my bike so I just want it to look pretty in case it falls over in the parking lot when I'm picking up 16yrs old girls :infrandom. To each his own but I couldn't resist.

Remember one thing, it's a FRAME slider, not a fairing slider. No cut brackets cause more damage than protection when it is hit with even moderate force. The damage can be enough to destroy the integrity of the frame and/or welds which will total a bike even though the overall visual damage looks minimal. Most common damage caused by no cut sliders is damage to the hole the bolt goes into. After doing 8yrs of track riding with some racing and instructing at trackdays, I can say that I've seen more than my fair share of crashed street bikes. Seeing all the no cut brackets bent into the frame and torn motor mount holes...no thanks for me.

Easiest method is using a laser on a tripod. Take off your side fairings, place the laser pointing dead center onto the bolt you will be replacing with the slider bolt, put the fairing back on and the laser will be pointing exactly where you need to drill with a hole saw. Use masking tape on the fairing to keep the hole smooth. You can also use the Playdough/Silly Puddy method but that takes some explaining and a little visual aid to see how it's done but it's very easy as well...just complicated to put into words.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,477 Posts
thanks guys. I've heard many swear against the 'no cut' sliders.
Try this the next time you ride, look at who's kneedragging through the corners almost all the time in front of the pack...the guys with standard sliders. The guys with no-cut brackets will be bringing up the rear with mohawks.:lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Try this the next time you ride, look at who's kneedragging through the corners almost all the time in front of the pack...the guys with standard sliders. The guys with no-cut brackets will be bringing up the rear with mohawks.:lol:
:funny::funny:
yeah, its really not to hard to cut the holes. and well I think it looks better. Just dont rush. plus I didnt want to spend my money on something that wouldnt do the job. I used a whole saw and then a dremel to get a perfect fit.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,477 Posts
Well when I watched my brothers bike come to a sliding stop from 45 mph when some old lady pulled out in front of him wit no damage to his frame I bought the same no cut sliders.
Well, that's one crash you watched. I've watched well over 200 crashes in my years not including street crashes. Get the no-cuts if you want them but they are not as good as standard cut sliders. I'm sure you posted on hear to get answers from experienced riders and that's the truth.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've had experience with both. I will say that most no-cut sliders WILL NOT save your fairings during a crash, because they don't stick out far enough! I bought some no cut sliders for my bike (k8 600) thinking about the cleaner looks, but quickly took them off a day after installing them. I then promptly got some HAVE-TO-CUT sliders and cut my fairings.

After you cut the holes, TEST FIT and trim the hole little by little with some sort of razor blade until they fit perfect. Then lightly sand around the sharp edges of the hole to smooth out the edges. I've cut holes in my fairings twice now, and thinking they'd come out crooked, came out perfect both times.

I've seen shops cut fairings for some people to install frame sliders, and they did a crappy job. I would say just take your time. You'll be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts