Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Irish Road Racing (merged)

59K views 325 replies 13 participants last post by  RedMist 
#1 ·
#2 ·
THE governing body of motorcycle road racing says it is confident it can meet the challenges that threaten the sport.
Last month, the News Letter revealed a series of damaging revelations highlighted in the wake of an inquest into the death of leading Ardglass competitor John Donnan, 42, at the Tandragee 100 in 2007 would have serious repersussions in respect of how rider and spectator safety would be safeguarded at future road race meetings.

Senior Coroner John Leckey raised his concerns with Sports Minister Nelson McCausland, in light of which the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) has put pressure on the Motorcycle Union of Ireland, Ulster Centre – which oversees motorcycle racing in Northern Ireland – to outline how it intends to protect riders and spectators, particularly young children, at future events.

Earlier this month, Ulster's most senior road racer, Ryan Farquhar, told the News Letter he felt the sport "was on its knees" and required a dramatic shake-up in order for progress to be made.

Now, the MCUI (UC) has taken the first steps in what it hopes will represent a more stringent approach to safety by appointing a new, six-strong group to its Roads Inspection Committee to assess road race events and determine whether or not they are granted approval to continue in 2010.

The committee boasts a wealth of experience and includes North West 200 Race Director Mervyn Whyte, Mid-Antrim 150 Clerk of Course Jack Agnew, Armoy Clerk of Course Bill Kennedy, George Young, Ian Thompson and convenor Jack McGahan.

They will inspect the Cookstown 100 circuit in Co Tyrone tomorrow to appraise safety levels before granting the organising club a permit to host their event – traditionally the curtain-raiser to the road racing season – at the end of next month.

Yesterday, MCUI Roads Inspection Committee official Jack Agnew said he felt optimistic the obstacles facing the sport were not insurmountable.
"We have been working hard since the coroner raised his concerns and now have a new Roads Inspection Committee in place," Mr Agnew said.

"I feel a lot more positive now than I did a month ago. We have also put together our proposals for the Sports Minister ahead of our meeting with DCAL next week.

"I believe the report we have compiled is more than adequate in respect of answering the queries and concerns raised by the coroner; there is a real determination to pull together to ensure road racing survives."

He added: "We have a committee that has a wealth of experience and I have total faith that we can move forward on the issue of improving safety. The committee, I feel, consists of the best people from within the MCUI and we will do all we can to ensure every course is as safe as possible for spectators and competitors.

"I can't say at this moment whether or not the beginning of the road racing season will be affected, because that will depend on whether we feel courses are safe enough and on whether or not the organising clubs are prepared to act on and implement any recommendations we make.
"If they don't act on our proposals, then they won't be issued with a permit to run their race. Every course will be assessed on an individual basis."

Mr Agnew confirmed that moves to appoint an external safety assessor are at an advanced stage, but stressed that the Roads Inspection Committee will retain responsibility for approving national and international road race circuits.

Meanwhile, the organisers of the North West 200 will make a major safety change to the 'Triangle' circuit ahead of this year's meeting on May 15 by constructing a new chicane at the notorious Mather's Cross section of the course, which has claimed the lives of Robert Dunlop and Mark Young from Cookstown in recent years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXX8E7QmUE

#3 ·
North West Superbike Race Backed by the Far East! With entries set to close on Tuesday 6th April, Relentless International North West 200 in association with Black Horse Race Director, Mervyn Whyte MBE anticipates a full quota of top quality riders representing both local and international teams. Whyte also announced a brand new sponsor for Superbike Race 1 – Coleraine based restaurant Yoko Noodle Bar.
Melbourne rider Cameron Donald and Steve Plater and Gary Johnston both from Lincolnshire and local riders Ryan Farquhar, Paul Robinson, Sam Dunlop, James McCann and Mark Johnston were in Coleraine and Portrush to help launch the final three races – the CP Hire Superstock, McKendry Fabrications Ltd 125cc and Yoko Noodle Bar Superbike races. The riders checked out the 8.9 mile NW200 circuit, were guests at a special Coleraine Borough Council reception hosted by the Mayor, Cllr Sandy Gilkinson and attended the NW200’s penultimate media conference held at the Ramada Hotel, Portrush.
Yoko Superbike Race
Said Mervyn Whyte, “We’re delighted to welcome on board family run restaurant Yoko Noodle Bar as our new Superbike race sponsor. Yoko will take over from Dewalt and we look forward to working alongside Walter Tsang and his staff in the run up to Race Day.” Whyte went on to outline entries for this year’s Yoko Superbike Race which to date has attracted 55 entries including last year’s winner Steve Plater who chalked up a lap speed of 121.779. Also competing will be Steve’s HM Plant Honda team mate John McGuinness who achieved 3rd place in 2010, Relentless by TAS Suzuki riders Bruce Anstey and Cameron Donald, last year’s 2nd and 4th place competitors fellow TAS rider Alastair Seeley and Macau stars Stuart Easton and Simon Andrews. Easton from Hawick in the Scottish borders will ride with Swan Honda whilst Andrews will compete for MSS Colchester Kawasaki alongside fellow team members Ryan Farquhar and Stephen Thompson. Andrews who recently confirmed his NW200 entry was due to be in Portrush for the press conference but was called away at the last minute to take part in a World Superbike practice session in Valencia. Other competitors signed up for the Superbike race include McAdoo Kawasaki rider Conor Cummins who chalked up a fifth place last year, NW200 stalwart Michael Rutter, Martin Jessop, Ian Lougher on board the Black Horse Kawasaki ZX10R, Ballymena man Denver Robb and Davy Morgan. Yoko Noodle Bar proprietor Walter Tsang said, “We are very pleased to have our flagship restaurant, Yoko Noodle Bar as the official sponsor of the Superbike Race at this year’s North West 200. It’s a great privilege to support such a wonderful event within our local area and we look forward to welcoming lots of visitors to our restaurants, Yoko Noodle Bar and Charco Wine Bar during Race Week.”
CP Hire Superstock Race
Race Director Mervyn Whyte MBE also indicated that over 50 competitors have signed up for the Superstock Race sponsored by local company and long standing supporter of the NW200, CP Hire. Star names include 8 times winner Steve Plater alongside his Honda HM Plant team mate John McGuinness. In the Superstock John will race under the Padgetts banner whilst Steve will be on board HM Plant Honda machinery. Last year’s winner Carrickfergus man Alastair Seeley will ride for Relentless by TAS Suzuki and is set to be on the grid with fellow TAS competitors Cameron Donald and Bruce Anstey. Local star Ryan Farquhar and runner-up in last year’s race will enter on the KMR Kawasaki, whilst Isle of Man rider Conor Cummins who chalked up 7th place in 2009 is racing for McAdoo Kawasaki.
Welsh man Ian Lougher will be on board the Kawasaki ZX 10R with Ian Hutchinson, 6th last year, riding Padgetts machinery. Twelve times North West 200 rider Michael Rutter will compete on a BMW and after a two year absence, Loughborough’s James Edmeades will be back on board a KTM machine. Local stars set to compete in the Superstock include AMA rider Adrian Archibald, Dungannon’s John Burrows on the Mar-Train Suzuki, Denver Robb and Coleraine’s Mark Johnston.
Andrew Hutchinson, Managing Director of CP Hire said: "CP Hire has backed the International North West 200 for many years and as a locally based company we’re thrilled to be involved and support the event in 2010. We believe it’s important to back such high calibre local events which really do help attract more visitors to the region and raise the profile of Northern Ireland globally. Each year the build up to Race Day and the atmosphere at the Start/Finish area just gets better and better and we’re certainly looking forward to watching all the action at on 15th May.”
McKendry Fabrications 125cc Race
Coleraine based company McKendry Fabrications Ltd are once again lending their name to the 125cc race which has so far attracted over 20 entries including last year’s runner up Chris Palmer, Ballymoney rider Paul Robinson, BSB rider Pete Wakefield, Sam Dunlop, Ian Morrell, Darren Gilpin and Jon Vincent from Bickerstaffe.
Managing director Colin McKendry said, “We’re delighted to sponsor the 125cc race at the NW200 once again. As a local company it’s a pleasure to be involved with this prestigious event which year on year grows hugely in stature. McKendry Fabrications was set up almost 10 years ago and over the years we’ve worked closely with NW200 officials helping them with a range of in kind sponsorship activities as well as supporting a race since 2008. We are looking forward to another successful day's racing and would like to wish Mervyn and his team all the best for another action packed and safe days racing on the 15th May."Coleraine Borough Council and Race Week Festive Mervyn Whyte also paid tribute to regional partner Coleraine Borough Council who in addition to managing the Race Week Festival events have provided additional support to the NW200 by seconding events co- ordinator Paul Gallagher to help with activities in the run up to Race Day. Outlining their contribution to the NW200 Mayor of Coleraine Cllr Sandy Gilkinson said, “The North West 200 has grown from being a purely motorbike enthusiast attraction to a family orientated festival. Since 2001 Coleraine Borough Council has funded and organized family entertainment in Portstewart and Portrush during Race Week in recognition of the importance of the event and in a bid to attract even more visitors to the Borough. “This year Race Week Festival starts on Saturday 8th May and runs through to Sunday 16th May and includes exciting free of charge events such as the Freestyle Motocross Stunt show, top UK superbike stunt performers, comedy clown acts, children’s entertainers and the ever popular Fireworks Show featuring U2 tribute band Elevation.”

Relentless and Black Horse
John Coffey of Relentless said, “On behalf of Relentless energy drink we are proud to be this year’s title sponsor of Ireland’s most prestigious motor racing event. As a local company, we have been supporting sports in the community for the past 70 years and there is none more prestigious and well renowned than the North West 200. It attracts the highest calibre of sporting personalities and also increases tourism and boosts the local economy, giving Northern Ireland international exposure.”
Dave Macey, Market and Franchise Development Manager of Black Horse, said, “Black Horse has been an avid supporter and race sponsor of the North West 200 since 2002 and this year we’re delighted to move up a gear to become associate sponsor of this very special road racing evenNew Developments Other new developments at the Relentless North West 200 this year include a new Business & Communications facility dedicated to competitors and teams as well as a new out of state marketing campaign Park & Ride
NW200 organisers have been working closely with Chambers Coaches of Moneymore to develop a new Park & Ride facility in a bid to limit traffic and help spectators access the event with greater ease. The new facility will operate from a parking site off the Ballybogey Road outside Ballymoney and will shuttle spectators to lower Ballywillan Road. Information and tickets are available online at www.northwest200.org/parkandrideTourism IrelandMervyn Whyte also thanked Tourism Ireland for their help and support in raising the profile of the NW200 at a global level. Backing the event Aubrey Irwin of Tourism Ireland said, “We are delighted to see the field of international competitors growing and the participation this year of Mark Miller from the USA is a tribute to the energy of Mervyn Whyte who has worked closely with Tourism Ireland to extend the NW200 brand into our international markets.” Grandstands
Grandstand sales are progressing extremely well and are available from the NW200 official websitewww.northwest200.org A new booking system is in place, designed to make seat reservation easier and new grandstand, paddock and programme packages are also available at special discounted prices
http://www.youtube.com/w

#4 ·
Pearson Supersport

Pearson Takes Opening Supersport Victory
p gossip
Carryduff Forklifts backed Kawasaki rider, Michael Pearson, took the opening Irish Supersport 600cc Championship win of 2010, at a wet and cold Good Friday Irish Superbike Meeting at Bishopscourt in Co-Down.
Pearson, who is still recovering from a hand injury sustained at the same circuit two weeks ago, was simply unstoppable as he set the fastest lap of the race on his ninth and final circuit of the 1.8mile circuit, to take the victory by 0.7 seconds from Jonny Buckley (Module R&R Yamaha) and Australian, Cameron Donald (Relentless Suzuki).
Pearsons epic win, looked like being short lived, as he was give a 10 second penalty by the race organisers for arriving to late in the holding area before the race. Pearsons Team, lodged a protest against the penalty to the race stewards, which was upheld, and Pearson rightfuly given the victory.
Earlier in the day, Pearson got his 600 Carryduff Forklifts Kawasaki into the top eight of the Sail to Pole, and will start the three Irish Superbike races, and the Enkalon Trophy race on Saturday, on the second row of the grid.

Michael Pearson: "Its been an ok day. The win on the 600 was really good, as I felt I rode really hard, and I had to fight hard to keep Jonny Buckley at bay, who's Yamaha was really flying. He was out braking me all the time, and I knew that it was going to be close between him and I. I was aware that Cameron Donald was not far behind us, but to be honest, it was Buckley who gave me the biggest test of them all. I stuck in the fastest lap on the final circuit and in the end I had almost half a second to spare over Jonny and Cameron. To be told after the race that I had been docked 10 seconds for some stupid reason in the holding area was really the biscuit. It almost ruined a great race, but in the end, common sense prevailed. I am also pleased to have got the 600 into the top eight of the Superbike classes, which was working out in my favour on the smaller bike in the wet conditions, so I guess I was taking my advantages where and when I could. Hopefully it will be wet on Saturday, as I think I could suprise a few on the Carryduff Kawasaki".

Willis Marshall: (Team Manager) "A very exciting start to the new season you could say. Yes, it was a very worth while day for Michael and the team, which at times where very difficult. Michael again showed that he can really mix it with the best in any class, and the Carryduff Forklifts Kawasaki Supersport bike is really flying. Eighth place in the Sail to Pole for the Superbikes for me, was the ride of the day, as Michael was really pushing the big bikes on his 600. Of course, we all wish for it to be dry on Saturday, but with Michael riding the 600 in the Superbike classes, a wet race would be to his advantage. The little problem with the 10 second penalty is not worth going into detail on, lets just say that a rule was worded incorrectly".

IRISH SUPERSPORT 600 CHAMPIONSHIPS RESULT
1 = Michael Pearson Carryduff Forklifts Kawasaki 25pts
2 = Jonny Buckley Module Road & Race Yamaha 20pts
3 = Cameron Donald Relentless Suzuki 16pts
4 = Glenn Irwin Honda 13pts
5 = Kirk Jamison Mar-Train Yamaha 11pts
6 = Robert Lanigan DLM Yamaha 10pts

Michael Pearsons Irish Supersport 600 Championship Race win at Bishopscourt on Good Friday was the first that Kawasaki has won an Irish Supersport 600 Short Circuit Championship Race, since Alastair Seeley won at the Belfast and District Round, in September 2007.

#5 ·
Easter Racing

Relentless Suzuki Set For Easter Debut
Written by Administrator
Relentless Suzuki by TAS Racing’s Cameron Donald and Bruce Anstey will open their 2010 accounts over the Easter weekend in Northern Ireland.

Both riders will make their first UK and Ireland appearance in the Irish Superbike Championship at the Good Friday / Easter Saturday meeting at Bishopscourt, before taking in the Easter Monday ISB event at Kirkistown.

Philip Neill - Team Principal:

“It’s obviously going to be a busy weekend for both Bruce and Cameron over Easter, but I’m pleased that we have been given the opportunity to run them in a race situation at two good local circuits. Testing is one thing but it’s always good to get some racing miles under your belt - I’m a big believer in that at this stage of the year. This will give both boys the chance to try out the GSX-R1000 Superbikes that they will be running at the North West 200 in May.

"I’m also pleased we can continue to support our local races when the calendar allows and also give something back to our loyal fan base. Hopefully there will be further opportunities to race in Ireland this year for Relentless Suzuki.”
p gosoip

#9 ·
Ledgends

Top 10 Legends
Written by Administrator
1) Joey Dunlop MBE,OBE 5 Time World Formula One Champion

Joey Dunlop truly deserves to be voted www.paddockgossip.com’s Top Legend.

Joey Dunlop the motorcycling legend started at Maghaberry in 1969 riding a Triumph Tiger club which was bought for £50, for the next 31 years Joey dominated the road race scene.

Joey Dunlop will probably be best remembered for his achievements in the Isle of Man. , With a total of 26 race victories on the famous mountain circuit Including three hat-tricks in 1985, 1988 and 2000 and 42 victories on the Billown Circuit.

If that wasn’t enough he won 5 Formula One World Championships, 24 Ulster GPs , 13 at the North West 200, 24 Killinchy or Dundrod 150’s, 15 Skerries, 17 Tandragees, 10 Cookstown 100‘s, 15 Mid-Antrims, 6 Killalanes, 5 Temple 100’s, 6 at Fore and victories at every major road racing circuit in Britain and Eire.

Joey won a total of 119 Irish National road races and 37 international road races in Ireland plus 23 Irish road and short circuit championships.

Some people said he couldn’t race on the short circuits, but did you know he was on the rostrum at the very first World Superbike race at Donington Park?

Joey Dunlop was awarded the MBE in 1986 for his services to motorcycle racing, and in 1996 he was awarded the OBE for his humanitarian work for children in Romanian orphanages.
p gossip

#10 ·
Road Racing Exhibition

An exhibition of road racing images in aid of Manx Grand Prix Supporters Club Helicopter Fund and Rob Vine Fund
The members of roadracingsupporters.com will be hosting an exhibition of original images featuring real road racing during the 2010 IOM TT Festival. The exhibition will run for two weeks commencing Monday 31st May 2010 through till Friday 11th June at St. Ninian’s Church, Douglas.

The exhibition will be open daily from 1030am until 3.0pm except Mad Sunday when it will be open from 1.00pm until 4.00pm.

Rev. John Coldwell has kindly invited photographers from both roadracingsupporters.com and iomtt.com to contribute to what will be a unique event for race fans during this year’s TT Races.

Over 200 magnificent photographs and canvasses will be on display for the enjoyment of the public who wish to visit the church during TT 2010. It’ll be a chance to not only view the exhibition but also to meet up with friends new and old whilst enjoying some traditional Manx made refreshments courtesy of the parishioners of St. Ninian’s.

Entry to the exhibition will be by way of a donation of 50p to the roadracingsupporters charity fund. roadracingsupporters.com has so far this year raised a total of £2,000 via the proceeds of their 2010 Road Racing Calendar. Monies raised from the exhibition will be added to the donations that have already been made to the Manx Grand Prix Supporters Club Helicopter Fund and Rob Vine Fund. In a new initiative this year roadracingsupporters.com also hopes to make a contribution to the Southern 100 Club’s own Rescue Helicopter from the money raised by the exhibition.

Photographer’s contributing to the exhibition have also kindly donated their images that will be made available to visitors for purchase. Again, the proceeds will be added to the funds raised.

All are welcome to the exhibition and we look forward to seeing you all at St. Ninian’s in June

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7m3lF7GeMI

brn

#11 ·
dunlop

William Dunlop Gets 6th at Brands
Written by Administrator
William Dunlop picked up ten valuable points in the opening round of the 2010 British Superbike Championships at Brands Hatch in Kent on Monday, when he finished in an excellent 6th place in the speedyRetail.com 125GP Championships race.
Dunlop, who, is hoping to compete in a full year in the British Championships, said on Monday evening, that he felt that a new lease of life had came to him, with Dunlop saying that this was without doubt his best ever British Result.

William Dunlop: "I can't explain just how good this feels today, but I feel as if I have been given a new lease of life. I came to Brands saying to myself that if I could not run with the front runners at Brands, then I would contemplate doing no more British rounds, and the fact that Brands Hatch is probably my least liked circuit out of all the circuits in BSB, was I thought, going to be a huge challenge. My 125 Honda surprised me as she was able to stick with the front runners through practice and the race, and for once I had a bike that could pull out of others slip stream and pass them. I have basically built this bike myself, although Mark Kneen of KRP has done some engine work to it, so it has been a very pleasing weekend at Brands. With four laps to go in the race, I decided to stay where I was and go for a secure finish in 6th place, as I was not going to catch the riders in front of me with so little time left, so I know that more is still there in me if I need it. I will now be heading to Thruxton Park in two weeks time, where I hope to be in a position to be able to build on this start to the season. My aim now is to gather up the cash to try and run a full season in BSB where I know that I can be a challenge to the title in the 125GP class. Some my say that I am expecting to much, but like I said, I have a new lease of life at the moment, and I intend making it work to my advantage".

speedyretail.com British 125GP Championship Standings after round One:
1st James Lodge 25pts
2nd Rob Guiver 20pts
3rd Fraser Rogers 16pts
4th John McPhee 13pts
5th Danny Kent 11pts
6th William Dunlop 10pts

#12 ·
Ugp

THE organisers of the world’s fastest road race, the Ulster Grand Prix, have today announced that Northern Ireland’s best low fare airline, Aer Lingus have signed up as the event’s airline partner.

The event will this year take place between 8 – 14 August.

Noel Johnston, Clerk of the Course, said; “I’m delighted that Aer Lingus is back on board with us this year. We rely on sponsors to make the Prix happen and so really appreciate that Aer Lingus has stuck by us this past three years.

“Every year the numbers of international racers coming over to compete from as far afield as Australia, Spain, France and Italy, Czech Republic and the USA increases. I want to build on this and having an airline partner is perfect for doing so,” he said.

Commenting on the partnership, Enda Corneille, Corporate Affairs Director at Aer Lingus, said; “We are delighted to confirm our continued support of the Ulster Grand Prix, given its huge following and longstanding history.

“Aer Lingus operates flights to eight European routes from Belfast International Airport and our code share agreement with British Airways allows for onward travel from London Heathrow to 93 Worldwide destinations - opening up the opportunity for the event to welcome more international competitors and spectators,” he said.

Noel added, “The Ulster Grand Prix is very much back by popular demand. We had a superb day of racing and over 25,000 spectators on the day will back me up on that!”

#13 ·
cookstown

DUNLOP PULLS OUT OF COOKSTOWN
Michael Dunlop has withdrawn his entry from the Cookstown 100 road races after a disagreement with the organisers.

Dunlop will instead compete in the second round of the Triumph Triple series at Assen in the Netherlands.

The 21-year-old is angry at the club's refusal to grant him an entry for the Open 'A' race, along with the other top-10 finishers from last year's race.

Ryan Farquhar has also hit out at this decision while Conor Cummins will not race at the event for other reasons.

The Manxman, who rides for McAdoo Racing, said he and the team made a joint decision to concentrate on testing before the North West 200.

Dunlop is also upset that he has not received any financial help with his race entry fees from the organisers.

Scot Keith Amor, Guy Martin and Gary Johnson are also expected to be non-starters for the event.

Kenny Loughrin of the organising Cookstown club said the decision to deny the top 10 riders from last year's Open race entries for this year's race had been taken to give some of the less established competitors the opportunity "to win a bit of prizemoney".

Farquhar, who scooped a hat-trick at last year's event said the decision to exclude the leading riders from one of the main races of the day was "ludicrous".
BBC

#14 ·
Start of Season

The Duke Road Race Rankings season begins with the Ian Watson Spring Cup at Olivers Mount, Scarborough on the 18th of April
Winner of the title event of the opening national road race of the season in 2009, Ryan Farquhar returns to Oliver’s Mount, Scarborough on Sunday 18th April to attempt to retain the Ian Watson Spring Cup and start the defence of his Rankings Championship for 2010.

After his most successful season ever, the current Duke Road Race Rankings Champion is gearing himself up for an even better year in 2010 and although the 34-year old took a phenomenal 61 road racing wins in 2009, becoming the most successful racer in Irish National Road Racing history in the process, he’s aiming to improve upon that over the next few months commencing at the North Yorkshire venue. However, in no way will the Dungannon man have it all his own way as rivals aim to beat him to the chequered flag.

Last July’s Cock o’the North winner, Michael Pearson, only the second Ulsterman to take the coveted trophy and title will be out to show he aims to continue his winning form of 2009 and improve on his ninth overall position in the rankings.

Other experienced riders from the Island of Ireland include Adrian Archibald, Davy Morgan, Junior Manx Grand Prix winner, Stephen McIlvenna and Timmy Turtle.

Oliver’s Mount experts, Ian Armstrong, Kiaran Hankin, Ian Whitlow, Keith Pringle, Ollie Linsdell, Steve Mercer, Stephen Oates and Mark Buckley will all be out to take home the prize money.

In the smaller capacity classes, winner of 79 races (to date) at the 2.43-mile closed public roads course, ‘Manxie’ Chris Palmer, who finished 12th in the rankings table last year, will be the man to beat, but once again the opposition will be out to spoil his day, as Peter Wakefield, Phil Harvey, David Guiney, Lee Vernon, Davy Morgan, Paul Owen and Daley Mathison amongst others all vie for the chequered flag in what should be close exciting racing.

The 14 race programme, will see competitors shake off the winter blues as they give their utmost around the tight, twisty, technical hillside course in the opening ‘pure road race of the 2010 season. Round two, the first of the season in Northern Ireland the Cookstown ‘100’ National Road Races takes place on Saturday 24th April, followed by the first of seven International events, the North West 200 on May 15th.

#15 ·
Good News

Michael Dunlop coaxed back into Cookstown 100 meeting

Michael Dunlop has had a change of mind and will compete in the Cookstown 100 later this month.

Earlier this week, Dunlop announced that he would not be competing after a disagreement with the event organisers over race fees and other issues.

However, Cookstown officials then contacted Dunlop and convinced him to rethink his earlier decision.

Organisers have also reversed their earlier decision not to let leading riders compete in the Open A Race.

The 21-year-old was angry at the organising club's refusal to offer him any financial assistance with his entry fees.

Dunlop instead planned to compete in the second round of the Triumph Triple series at Assen in the Netherlands.

Conor Cummins will not compete at Cookstown as he concentrates on testing his machines before the North West 200.

The Manxman, who rides for McAdoo Racing, said he and the team made a joint decision to concentrate on preparing the bikes for the major international road races.

Scot Keith Amor, Guy Martin and Gary Johnson are also expected to be non-starters for the event.

The organising Cookstown club overturned an earlier decision to deny the top 10 riders from last year's Open 'A' race entries for this year's equivalent race.

Initial reports suggested that the leading riders would be excluded to give some of the less established competitors the opportunity "to win a bit of prizemoney".

#16 · (Edited)
Armoy / Kells

Stormont - Venue for the launch of Armoy / Kells Championship

Yesterday was a historic day for the members of Kells MCRC when they travelled to Stormont for the launch of the Armoy/Kells Cross Border Championship.
This will be a two round championship with a total of £6,000 stg prizemoney on offer. The classes nominated are the Open, 600cc and the 401-750cc Support.
For riders taking part in Kells and Armoy this will be good news as this prizemoney will be on top of the normal prizemoney for the two events.
The sun was shining at Stormont and the huge crowd attending were in high spirits. Members of the Kells club who attended were our Chairman Johnny Landy, Aileen, Lester & Emma Ferguson, Tony Lynch, Stevo Phillips, David Burke, Albert Hamilton .
Ryan Farquhar, William Dunlop, John Burrows, Wayne Hamilton, David Lumsden represented the riders.
Sean Bissett represented the MCUI S/C with his wife Catherine. Representing the MCUI UC were Chris Blair, Ian Forsyth, Alan Drysdale, John Atcheson.

Our thanks to Mr. Thomas Byrne, TD, Mr. Brian Curran ,Chairman of Kells Town Council. Councillors Frank Lynch, Bryan Reilly, Tommy Grimes, Brian Collins, Ollie Sweeney, Conor Ferguson,Michael Finnegan, Road Safety Officer with Meath Co. Council who made the effort to travel to Stormont.

The Armoy Club must be congratulated for organising such a memorable day for the Northern launch.

A special word of thanks to the two sponsors of this championship Sam Geddis from Adelaide Insurance Services and Packie Laverty from Coleraine Skip Hire . Both are fully behind this cross border / cross community initiative. Sam Geddis has been involved with the Kells Club for the past two years organising another successful event namely the Kells to Kells Rideout which this year will start at Kells Co .Antrim on Sat 17th July at 2pm and travel to Kells Co. Meath. All bikers welcome to take part, many activities are being planned in Antrim for that weekend.

Kells MCRC also hope to welcome the Rugby and Gaelic Teams from Armoy who will play matches in Kells on the week leading up to the race, we will also be welcoming the Kells Cougars the local Soccer Team in Kells Co. Antrim.

The Northern Ireland launch was hosted by MLA Ian Paisley Jnr at Parliament Buildings. As we all know Mr. Paisley is a huge race fan and has been at the start of the Kells to Kells Rideout also. Sports Minister Nelson McCausland also attended the launch and supported Mr. Paisley. Both were very complimentary about what the clubs were trying to do. Everyone present appreciated that the championship was a way of attracting top competitors to both events which will encourage the Road Race Fans to travel and this in turn will help tourism in both areas.

Alan Drysdale interviewed all the riders present and they all stated that they were looking forward to doing Kells and Armoy and that the extra prize money would be welcomed by all taking part.

Bill Kennedy on behalf of Armoy thanked everyone who attended and all departments who have given their help. Aileen Ferguson on behalf of the Kells Club thanked the riders because without them their would be no racing. She also thanked the sponsors and all who are supporting the Championship, the Kells Club hope that it will be the start of a long and successful relationship with Armoy
p gossip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChhHwQzGrRE&feature=related

#17 ·
A Seeley

Seeley Takes Brands Podium
Written by Administrator
Relentless Suzuki by TAS Racing's Alastair Seeley sits proudly in third place in the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship after the opening two races at Brands Hatch in Kent.

The series Rookie's fourth place in race one was bettered in the second with a strong third-placed podium finish, boosted by the fastest lap of the race.

Michael Laverty retired from the opening race after a mechanical problem, but the former British Supersport Champion bounced back in race two, finishing fourth just behind his team-mate on his Relentless Suzuki GSX-R1000 Superbike.

Both riders showed courage and determination on race day, battling through the pack on the short-and-demanding Brands Hatch Indy Circuit: Seeley fought through to third in race one after a mediocre start, sweeping past title favourites Stuart Easton and Josh Brookes and only losing out on a debut podium to James Ellison by half a second.

Laverty's crew worked tirelessly to guarantee his place on the grid in race two, and although the Toomebridge man was forced to take a chance on some untried settings, he impressively pushed through from eighth on the grid to a podium position after 11 laps.

The hard-charging Seeley did eventually pass Laverty on lap 12 which he held to the flag, but to have both Relentless Suzukis in the top-four was a pleasing start to the season for everyone involved.

Alastair Seeley:

"It was nice to get that result in race two: the first BSB podium for the boys and also the fastest lap of the race on the Relentless by TAS Suzuki. We'll need to work on our starts for the next round, but I really enjoyed today. There were some hard moves going on out there; I think I swapped paint with Easton in race one a few times! The guys in the team have been doing a great job for me, and I know I've said it more than once today, but the bike was on rails in race two. The biggest thing I noticed from riding in Superstock is the quality of the entry and when you make a pass it has to be forceful and very precise. I'm delighted with our start and I'm now well set up for Thruxton."

Michael Laverty:

"I'll take the positives from the weekend with fourth place in race two, but I have to admit I was frustrated at times with the problems we encountered this weekend. The biggest problem was the lack of track time, but I must give big credit to the boys in the garage as they had absolutely no time to sit back and relax this weekend. There will be better days but it was nice to see Alastair getting his podium."

Philip Neill - BSB Team Principal:

"We'll certainly take that as a start to the season. All the hard work over the winter from the team and the riders is already paying off. This is an early repayment to our sponsors Suzuki and Relentless and all our other loyal backers, but we will not get carried away. To score a podium finish at the start of our third season in the premier BSB class is very satisfying. However, now we have ticked that box our next goal must be the top-step of the podium.

"We are operating with two highly-motivated riders this season. With Alastair, we never really knew how long it would take for him to make the transition to Superbike. His quiet confident manner is hard to read at times but I think today is a sign of what's to come from him.

"Michael Laverty has been equally-impressive this weekend and how he conducted himself during and after the problems he encountered, demonstrates his level of professionalism. After the race one disappointment, his result in race two was phenomenal; especially running some untried settings. It was also especially-pleasing to see both bikes running P3 and P4 on traaack togetther in race two, as that's the sort of thing that makes it all worthwhile. It's onwards and upwards now."

MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch:

Race one:

1. Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki)
2.Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +0.723s
3.James Ellison (Swan Honda) +4.607s
4.Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +4.655s
5.Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) +8.785s
6.Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +10.598s
7.Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +11.856s
8.Dan Linfoot (Motorpoint Yamaha) +20.079s
9.Chris Walker (CW Racing Suzuki) +20.211s
10.John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +20.585s

Race two:

1.James Ellison (Swan Honda)
2.Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +0.186s
3.Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +4.925s
4.Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +6.711s
5.Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +22.060s
6.Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +22.203s
7.John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +27.328s
8.Simon Andrews (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +29.841s
9.Martin Jessopp (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +35.885s
10.Steve Brogan (Jentin Racing BMW Evo)

Championship Standings (after 1 round):

1. Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) 45
2.James Ellison (Swan Honda) +41
3.Alastair Seeley (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 29
4.Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) 21
5.Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) 20

#19 ·
flyin ryan

Farquhar dominates season opener at Scarborough with 8 wins from 8 starts!

Ryan Farquhar got his 2010 road racing season underway in scintillating fashion at Oliver's Mount, Scarborough on Sunday when he won all 8 of the races he started! The KMR Kawasaki rider dominated proceedings winning both legs of the Ian Watson Trophy (retaining the trophy he won in 2009), both legs of the Supersport 600cc, both legs of the Mini Twins and both legs of the the Singles. The victories also saw him move on to 52 race wins around the 2.43-mile woodland circuit, making him the third most successful rider ever.

After taking victory in his Superbike heat, Ryan opened his race win account with a 4.5sec win on his KXF450 Kawasaki in the Singles race, getting the better of all the 125cc machines, and he followed this up with a harder fought win in the first 600cc leg, fellow Irishman Michael Pearson pushing him hard. Another comfortable win came in the first Mini Twins race and it was then on to his Superstock bike for the first leg of the Ian Watson Trophy, which he duly won from Pearson by over 4 seconds.

The little KXF450 took him to his fifth win of the day and the sixth soon followed in the second 600cc race although this was the toughest race of the day as he only got the better of Pearson by 0.287s. The second Mini Twins race saw Ryan take the chequered flag by over ten seconds and he ensured it would be a 100% success story in his final race of the day, the second leg of the Ian Watson Trophy, as he took the victory by over four seconds once more.

Speaking afterwards a delighted Ryan said: "8 wins from 8 starts - it doesn't get much better than that! It's been the perfect start to my road racing season and I couldn't have asked for any more, the day went exactly to plan. I had a slight problem with the 600 as I'd fitted a new seat cover and the foam padding was really slippy so I kept sliding forwards when I was on the brakes, but apart from that everything was really good. I knew at the beginning of the year that the little 450 would work best at Scarborough as the 125s don't get the opportunity to use their top speed advantage and I'm already loving riding it. I'm a little bit race rusty and got a wee bit tired towards the end of the day so I'll be training hard again this week in readiness for the Cookstown 100. I'm just looking for a safe, steady day there and then look to get a couple of outings on the Superbike in preparation for the North West 200."

Ryan's next meeting is the first road race in the Irish Road Racing Championship season, the Cookstown 100, with the races taking place on Saturday April 24th.

Words: Phil Wain - Freelance PR
Photo: Stephen Davison

#20 ·
bad news

Athea Officially Cancelled Written by Administrator Athea Motorcycle Road Race Club regret to announce that our annual round of the Irish Motorcycle Road Race Championship due to take place on June 26th & 27th has been cancelled.
There were many individual reasons why we felt this was our only alternative and the crucial blow came last week when our one of our main sponsors went into liquidation.
The road surface on the circuit has also been an issue with the recent winter severity conditions and we are currently working on this issue with Limerick County Council, to address it for 2011.
We wish to apologise to anyone who had made plans to attend our event and wish to thank everyone who has helped us over the last few months at the various fundraisers and those who offered their help and assistance for this year’s event.
The Club meet last night and decided due to the various issues that we had no alternative only to cancel this year’s event. The Club have put a fundraising programme in place from May 2010 to prepare for our race date in 2011. The first leg of our fundraising will kick off with the launch of our membership packs. Countray to rumours at the start of the year that the Athea Races were cancelled, the committee have been working flat out to try to save our event.
The club would like to take this opportunity in thanking all the officials, scruitineers, medics, other clubs, sponsors, supporters, the fans and of course the people who everyone comes to see: - The Riders for their support over the last 8 years and we wish them every success for the remainder of the season. We would also like to extend a special thanks to the people of the Athea Community who not alone supported us in the last eight years, but were also held captive in their homes during the various road closures to facilitate the races. The Club look forward to welcoming you all back next year to Athea 2011.
p gossip

#21 ·
E Laverty

Turnaround Time For Eugene
Written by Administrator
PARKALGAR HONDA goes to the fourth round of the World Supersport Championship at Assen in Holland fully aware it has not performed to its own high expectations at the last two rounds and a turnaround in results is needed for Eugene Laverty and Miguel Praia.
The race takes place at 1330 CET on Sunday April 25th. On Friday and Saturday there are practice and qualifying sessions.

Simon Buckmaster, Parkalgar Honda Team Manager: “The fact is we are coming off two frustrating rounds that have not delivered the points we expect or deserve. Eugene has scored two pole positions but that has not resulted in race success. He has the bike and the ability to beat anyone and as a team Parkalgar Honda will be doing everything to get back to winning ways at Assen with him. Miguel has shown promise this season and he has another opportunity this weekend to score his best ever result – we expect that from him when he takes to the track and Parkalgar Honda is doing everything it can to help him achieve it. It is turnaround time for Parkalgar Honda.”

Miguel: “I am receiving physiotherapy twice a day to work on the wrist and ankle injuries I received in my qualifying crash at Valencia. I am not 100 per cent fit as I would like to be but I will not let it hold me back when I get on track. I will give maximum effort and really want to get a points scoring finish at Assen which is something I have never achieved before. I am coming back and my Parkalgar Honda team has worked hard to support me and deserves a good result.”

Eugene: “I didn’t expect to win at Assen in 2009 but we came away with top honours. I went for it then and I’ll be doing the same this weekend for a repeat performance. Assen suits the Parkalgar Honda and I enjoy it. A new corner on the back straight should make the track faster and I like that as well. I want and need to bounce back from the last two rounds with a win.”

p gossip

#22 ·
Cameron Donald @ Cookstown

Cameron Donald returns to Ireland for the first time in 3 years to contest the 2010 Cookstown 100
Relentless by TAS Suzuki will make their pure road racing debut this weekend at the 2010 season curtain-raiser – the Cookstown 100. It will be the first time in three years that Aussie sensation Cameron Donald has sampled ‘between the hedges’ action on the local scene in Ireland, but the Melbourne lad is looking forward to getting back to basics.

“I only live about a mile from the circuit here in Cookstown, so this is a home race for me and something I’m pretty excited about,” explained Donald. “It’s been three years since I last rode a national road race, so we will be using it for logical testing time on the Relentless Suzuki GSX–R1000 Superbike and GSX–R600 Supersport machines, and if we can claim some top results that’ll be a bonus.

“It really was a last minute decision so I’m not putting too much pressure on myself, with the Relentless International North West 200 only three weeks away. It’s always good to be racing the bikes and not just testing them, and some time on the roads will do me no harm at all.”

Team manager Philip Neill is also delighted to be supporting his local event stating: “We have had a decent pre-season build up this year with both Cameron and Bruce, taking in Spanish testing and a few races over Easter in Northern Ireland. Cameron and I had looked at the Cookstown idea a few weeks ago, even though we only made the decision at the eleventh hour.

“Cameron is a rider who thrives on confidence so a few more racing miles under his belt will do him no harm. I will stress, we are not going to Cookstown primarily for results but to further develop our bikes for the North West 200 and the TT, and as Cameron says, any result will be a bonus. We are just looking to see if we can learn anything and if we do that, then the decision to race at Cookstown will be justified.

“It’s my local race and Cameron is local to Cookstown when he’s racing in the UK and Ireland, so if we’re to do just one national event this year, I’m glad that it’s on our local circuit.”

Cookstown practice takes place on Friday April 23 with roads closing at 2.30pm. On Race Day Saturday [April 24] roads close at 10am with a 16-race programme scheduled.

brn

#23 ·
Practice Cookstown

Re:Cookstown pratice Results Unofficial

Superbike Practice

1 = Ryan Farquhar (KMR Kawasaki)
2 = Cameron Donald (Relentless Suzuki by TAS)
3 = Michael Pearson (Morrell Kawasaki)
4 = Michael Dunlop (Robinson Concrete Honda)
5 = Adrian Archibald (AMA Suzuki)

Supersport 600 Practice

1 = Ryan Farquhar (KMR Kawasaki)
2 = William Dunlop (CD Racing Yamaha)
3 = Michael Dunlop (Street Sweep Yamaha)
4 = Michael Pearson (Carryduff Forklifts Kawasaki)
5 = Cameron Donald (Relentless Suzuki by Tas)

#25 ·
5Timer

Farquhar dominates at Cookstown

The Ryan Farquhar steam roller showed no signs of slowing down at the weekend when the KMR Kawasaki rider dominated the racing at Saturday's Cookstown 100 road races taking no less than 5 race wins. Hot on the heels of his eight wins at Oliver's Mount, Farquhar won all five of the races he started around the 2.1-mile Orritor circuit, the first time anyone has won 5 Irish National road races in one day, including the feature Superbike race.

Ryan opened his account with a hard fought win in the 125cc race where, riding his KX450F, he managed to get the better of William Dunlop on the final lap for his first win of the day. Next up was the Open race where, with a brilliant start, Ryan was never headed and with a lead of 8 seconds at half race distance, he was able to ease off in the closing stages for a comfortbale victory. The Supersport 600cc race was another close encounter with Ryan and Michael Dunlop never more than half a second apart during the entire race but, when it mattered most, Ryan was in front and he duly completed his hat trick with another fine win.

The 10-lap feature Cookstown 100 race was Ryan's fourth race of the day and he led the field round at the end of the first lap although he was being pushed hard by Cameron Donald. The dicing duo left the field behind and with a new lap record Donald closed right on to the back wheel of Ryan but he wasn't to be bettered and set an absolute lap record on lap 8 to edge away. With two perfect last laps, Ryan was able to control the race and he took a superb win from Donald by 1.1 seconds, creating some more history later when he won the Super Twins race for his fifth win of the day.

To make it a perfect day for KMR Kawasaki, fellow team member Darren Hughes also won his two races to make it seven from seven for the team.

Talking afterwards, a delighted Ryan said: "It's been a fantatsic day and a really good weekend for the whole team. In the 125cc race I was down on speed to William, as I knew I would be, but I rode the wheels off the bike and when he hesitated going by a backmarker I saw an opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. The wee bike is awesome and we're already proving people wrong with what we can do - to get a road race win on what is essentially a motocross bike is awesome and these bikes could well be the future so I'd expect to see more and more of them on the grid in the years to come."

"In the first Superbike race I got a great start and couldn't quite believe the gap I pulled out - I thought they'd all pulled in or something - so just rode to my pit board but the feature race was a lot harder. Cameron was out on his Superbike and I could hear him behind me all the time but I just concentrated on being on the right line all the time and with the bike working superbly, I was able to set the absolute lap record and pull away from him. It's a real testament to the Dunlop tyres too as I've used just one set for the practice and racing at both Scarborough and Cookstown - and there's still some life in them!"

"Finally, there was the Super Twins race and I began by putting on a bit of a show for the crowd but I thought that might have ended in disaster so I got my head down again and rode hard until the end. With Darren winning also, we've taken 7 wins between us, which must be some kind of record too so with the success at Scarborough as well, I couldn't have asked for a better start to the season. It would be nice to sweep the board at the North West and TT but that's probably a bitt too much to ask! We'll continue to work hard though and see what happens, you never know...!"

Ryan now has a three-week break before the International North West 200, the meeting taking place from May 11-15

p gossip

#26 ·
Cookstown 100

Maria made her debut at the Cookstown 100 this weekend, the opening round of the Irish Road Race season, on the CMS Honda RVF400

Costello will be competing at a selection of Irish Road Races throughout the season alongside her team mate Davy Morgan as part of the 2010 CSC Team.
Maria arrived at the Orritor Circuit, County Tyrone on Thursday evening with just enough daylight to complete some laps on a scooter and a couple in a car with a fellow racer.
Friday: Once the lap on the newcomers bus was completed practice commenced on Friday afternoon in dry and sunny conditions. Her first five laps were done in controlled conditions in the ‘newcomers un-timed’ session. A further two timed sessions followed and Maria found another two seconds faster in the later session. However Maria’s overall performance had been hindered by the bike over heating and losing power at the end of each session. Despite this problem she had still achieved her goal of qualifying in the ‘A Race’ which she realised with a lap time of 1 min 41.5 seconds.
With the over heating issues it was essential for the engine to be replaced with the spare, recently re-freshed by tuner Tony Holmes, once practice had concluded. Costello’s sponsor and mechanics worked late in to the evening to ensure she would have a machine on which she could secure a finish on the following day.
Saturday: Racers and fans alike were pleased to be greeted by yet another dry and sunny day, albeit slightly cooler, for race day of the season opener. With the new engine installed Costello was allowed one lap during the warm up for the 125 race to ensure all was as it should be for her one and only race of the day in the combined 250GP / 400SS Race.
As she lined up on the grid her CSC Team mechanic Maurice Hogg gave the bike a final check over and Maria some final words of advice before the flag dropped and Maria was away with the pack down the fast top gear straight and in to the heavy breaking zone of the first corner.
Still learning the course with each lap Maria’s confidence was boosted by the fact that she could easily maintain the same pace as her rivals and during the race she improved her laps times by over 4.5 seconds. It was only when a couple of slower riders were encountered that her lack of knowledge of the course meant that she lost touch with the two front runners. Once past them she set about catching and passing the 400 in front. She did so on the final lap, out-braking him at the McAdoo Bends which was a feat in itself as the brakes were fading fast due to the deteriorating front brake master cylinder. Maria crossed the finish line in 3rd place in the 400 class, lapping the course in a commendable 1 min 37.9 seconds.
Maria Costello: “I’m really pleased with my lap times and the fact that we got a finish on the RVF400. I’m getting a real taste for these Irish road races and the Irish hospitality is always second to none. My sponsor Tony Morris brought two of his friends along one of which used to work for Honda in Grand Prix. I don’t think they expected to get their hands dirty but they worked alongside my mechanic Tim McGivern and did a great job of swapping engines. The weekend wouldn’t have been possible without my personal sponsor Tony Morris, mechanic Tim McGivern, Steve, Simon, Maurice Hogg and the CSC Team. Thank you to all my sponsors and supporters for the amazing support and for keeping me on track.
brn

#27 ·
Cookstown 100

Donald back on track at Cookstown
road race

After a ten-month hiatus through injury, Relentless by TAS Suzuki rider Cameron Donald made a successful return to racing at Saturday’s Cookstown 100 – dispelling any doubt that the double TT winner would return to competitive racing.

With a brace of second places on his GSX–R1000 in the Superbike races and a steady fourth-placed finish in the Supersport race on his GSX–R600, Donald was more than happy with his first appearance back on the national scene in three years.

He said: “I’m very happy. Of course I never race to finish second, but we did say today was all about feeling our way back in and progressing with the Superbike; we have achieved both of those goals so I’m going home a happy man.

"The difference between national road racing and the international stuff is like chalk and cheese – it really shocked me in that first race.

“I have never been ultra-successful here at Cookstown with its stop/start nature, preferring the fast and flowing circuits, but I did take Ryan Farquhar all the way in that last Superbike race.

"He’s the man on form and I won’t take that away from him, but I sat back and watched for a few laps and did think I’d the measure of him.

"Unfortunately I made a small mistake coming onto the last lap and those 50 yards made the difference between winning and finishing second. It’s been a good day.”

Relentless by TAS team boss Philip Neill added: “I don’t mean this in a bad way, but I’m glad it’s over.

"I wasn’t fully confident it was the correct decision to race at Cookstown, especially being a last minute decision while the boys were in the middle of building bikes for the NW200 and TT, but it worked out fine.

"Cameron really got his head dialled back into racing here today and it was very pleasing to see how comfortable he looked on the bike.

“Fair play to Ryan Farquhar, he’s a tough man to beat on the national scene, but Cameron is more than happy with his return and we leant a lot more about our GSX–R1000 Superbike over the weekend.

"We also made positive progress with the very latest Pirelli tyres that we will be running at the TT and Cameron got a chance to try out the very latest range of KBC helmets that he will be wearing this season.”

mcn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.