Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, wonderin if anyone could give me some advice.

I have a guy that wants to make a trade with me for his 02 GSXR1000.

He sent me pics and they look kinda sketchy to me, First off i know that the frame isnt suposed to be black, I also know that the front forks are suposed to be gold and so are the brake calipers.

My questions are , how can I figure out if this bike is stolen or if its been wrecked because it looks to me that the stickers that identify the bike on the frame have been removed.

Second , how can I confirm that the engine in the bike is in fact the original engine or even if its the right size.

I am in dire need of wisdom here as I dont wanna get suckered on this deal.
here are some pics to help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
looks like he may have painted or powdercoated the frame,swingarm,subframe,heel-guards,etc. as for the forks ,I don't think they used the DLC coating until '03. The engine size is on the case somewhere i think i can't remember right now. The exhaust can has a few dings in it,so it has hit something. Your best bet is to see it up close and check it out,if you have any doubts don't get it. just my $.02 worth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, I have a few pics of other 02's and they all have the gold forks. They also use a different brake caliper on the front. To me the forks look like gsxr750 setup. check out these 2 pics and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Its a 1K. The left fairing tells all. Thre forks might be from a 750. It might have been wrecked. The stickers on the frame dont mean shit. Thats why they stamp the vin in the front of the neck. The frame looks different but cool. If you are worried about it get the vin and have your local police dept. run it. What are you trading for it and how far from you is the bike. Important things you left out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am thinking that its a 750 with 1k fairings and tank. But if the #'s are in fact stamped on the neck then that should tell the tale.

I am in Houston and the bike is in Mississippi but he was gonna meet me in New Orleans. And I am trading a quad with about 10 grand invested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey dude where do you live in houston,, are you one of those guys that meet up at james coney island my brother lives in houston and i frequently go there he lives in some ghetto ass apartments on ella blvd in north houston by Fm 1960 maybe we can ride

·
Registered
543 Posts
theanimal_650 said:
I am thinking that its a 750 with 1k fairings and tank. But if the #'s are in fact stamped on the neck then that should tell the tale.

I am in Houston and the bike is in Mississippi but he was gonna meet me in New Orleans. And I am trading a quad with about 10 grand invested.
i'm in new orleans i can go peep the bike for you, i aint got no job and nothing to do...i'll meet up and ride most of the way back w/ ya :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rkrummel01 said:
i'm in new orleans i can go peep the bike for you, i aint got no job and nothing to do...i'll meet up and ride most of the way back w/ ya :thumbup:
I am going to check the bike when I go to New Orleans to visit some family this month. If I get the bike maybe we could hook up and ride while im there.

As for the guy that wants to meet up and ride in Houston, I live right off of Barker Cypress and 290, but I dont have a bike yet. I will be getting one soon, one way or the other and maybe we could hook up and ride then. Thanks guys for all the help.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Wanna make sure its a 1k check for oil cooler right below radiator and 750 radiator is diffrent speedo is diffrent too any bolts missing in plastic that don't line up on frame indicates wrong plastic
rim size but since he got 750 forks may have 5.5 or 6 inch rim on rear 1k has 6 inch rim
600/650 5.5
engine cover is diffrent and one in picture is 1k motor

·
Premium Member
1,000,000,259 Posts
gixxer/sixxer said:
hey dude where do you live in houston,, are you one of those guys that meet up at james coney island my brother lives in houston and i frequently go there he lives in some ghetto ass apartments on ella blvd in north houston by Fm 1960 maybe we can ride

Most of my family in houston live on the northern side but close to little york.. I don't think I will ever be there with my bike.

·
Registered
543 Posts
theanimal_650 said:
I am going to check the bike when I go to New Orleans to visit some family this month. If I get the bike maybe we could hook up and ride while im there.

sounds good, don't worry once i get my eyes on it i'll tell you what it is and what part is from what size bike...then we do some hella riding :thumbup: just let me know when your heading this way if you do.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
UsNavyGiXXer said:
Well hell everyone else is guessing. I say a 600 with 1000 fairings!!!!
I'm not guessing!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
theanimal_650 said:

Its a 1K. The rear caliper is the "gold 1K" color and the left fairing has the bolt in it. You can see it. He probally put 750 forks on due to an accident or the custom frame paint.

·
Registered
543 Posts
wickmaster said:
Its a 1K. The rear caliper is the "gold 1K" color and the left fairing has the bolt in it. You can see it. He probally put 750 forks on due to an accident or the custom frame paint.

X-actly!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Those are 750 forks, but it does look like its a 1000, and I dont see the stickers on the tail that say whether its a 1000, 750, 600. So my .02 is that it must of have been wrecked and he changed the forks, and put 750's forks. But it is a 1000. Yeah check the vin stamped on there. If its legit he wont mind tellin you the vin, get ahold of him and ask him the for vin number, then call it in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts