Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a few guys post from some towns I went through on my 05 gsx600 and thought maybe you guys would be interested...

A bunch of my friends and I decided to do a cross country trip and I did it on my gsxr!

All in all we did about 5,000 miles in 12 days.
Started in atlantic city, NJ and finished in Los Angeles, CA.

We had a blog that we updated during the trip.
It can be seen at bikeblog.andrewbain.net

·
The Lone Rider
2,462 Posts
congrats. bet u guys had some serious MONKEYBUTT!!!
yeah we call that swamp ass down here haha. Damn that makes me sound like a ********.

I have wanted to do this for a long time but honestly I do not have any of my good friends ride bikes. Between work and school I do not do much recreational riding and do not get a chance to meet cool people who ride. Looks fun though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun.

How many hours did you ride a day?

Did you camp out or just stay in hotels?

Did someone follow you with a car/truck with extra parts/supplies?

·
Registered
3 Posts
that's insane man! I've done some serious mileage on my old CBR 929 but never 5,000 in 12 days. Bet that was intense! Doing the math it's an average of 420 miles a day for the 12 says.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We averaged around 400 miles a day like was posted above.

Our highest mileage day was around 550 I think. That was pretty brutal.

Tro, We went through Buffallo, Wyoming I think. Is that were 16 starts to take you to Yellowstone?

I got burnt by a fajita pan at the mexican place there :(

We did some camping but did more motels. We always ended up starting late, which meant we got to our destinations late and we didn't want to setup camp in the dark.

I ran bridgestone 021's front and rear. Maybe half the mileage wasn't highway. We tried to stay off those.
They are pretty sweet. Held up awesome for the trip and i could have easily gotten more miles out of them....

Except somewhere in nevada crosswinds blew my sleeping bag out of its strap and into my back wheel.

Locked it up going 90 something and flat spotted the hell out of it.
That made the rest of the trip alot less fun.

·
Registered
552 Posts
We averaged around 400 miles a day like was posted above.

Our highest mileage day was around 550 I think. That was pretty brutal.

Tro, We went through Buffallo, Wyoming I think. Is that were 16 starts to take you to Yellowstone?

I got burnt by a fajita pan at the mexican place there :(

We did some camping but did more motels. We always ended up starting late, which meant we got to our destinations late and we didn't want to setup camp in the dark.

I ran bridgestone 021's front and rear. Maybe half the mileage wasn't highway. We tried to stay off those.
They are pretty sweet. Held up awesome for the trip and i could have easily gotten more miles out of them....

Except somewhere in nevada crosswinds blew my sleeping bag out of its strap and into my back wheel.

Locked it up going 90 something and flat spotted the hell out of it.
That made the rest of the trip alot less fun.
Hells ya man. Buffalo is right at the base of the mountains on hwy 16. Im glad our shitty mexican restaurant could give you something to remember hahaha! Did you guys stay the night in buffalo? Did you ride thru jackson or did you go a diffrent way?

I cant belive you didnt lose the bike when your rear locked up goin 90, that had to be scary as hell.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was all a blur, we did a ton of miles. i think after buffalo we stayed in Cody, but I could easily be getting things mixed up.

When the back wheel locked up I clutched in and held on for dear life. Shit wobbled all over!

To the previous...
I was super sore, my friend who has a gsxr front ended SV1k let me borrow the LSL risers he had, and he went to moto bars for the trip. That helped a tiny bit.
I also had agreatdaytoride.com redo my seat. That helped a bit too.

But really, My neck was killing me after a few days.

·
Super Moderator
8,227 Posts
It was all a blur, we did a ton of miles. i think after buffalo we stayed in Cody, but I could easily be getting things mixed up.

When the back wheel locked up I clutched in and held on for dear life. Shit wobbled all over!

To the previous...
I was super sore, my friend who has a gsxr front ended SV1k let me borrow the LSL risers he had, and he went to moto bars for the trip. That helped a tiny bit.
I also had agreatdaytoride.com redo my seat. That helped a bit too.

But really, My neck was killing me after a few days.

Did you ride through ten sleep canyon or shell canyon? Both are excellent places to ride. I live in Worland, WY just on the other side of the mountain from tro. I ride up to Cody whenever i get the chance. Its a fun town.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember going through tensleep. I think we stopped there for gas or something.

Cody was an ok town I guess...not super fun. ahha

But yea, we entered yellowstone through the east gate and did that place for a day. It was awesome. I was like inches away from a buffalo on a gsxr!!!:cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.