Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new here as I just bought my first 1999 GSX-R 750. I got it for dirt cheap as the last owner lost motivation to renovate it. Apparently he had the bike for one year and did some work to it, but the rest of the bike's history is unknown. It did not run well at first when I took it for a spin and realized the carbs are not synced well. Rest of the bike works fine, although it's going to need a hell of a lot of work cosmetically. My apologies for any typos, English is not my primary language.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Welcome. Your English is excellent!

Are you planning on making it look like it was when it was made?

You should make a restoration thread so we can all watch the progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to keep the Street fighter look, which is one of the main reasons I grabbed the bike. I didn't want to buy one with the original plastics on it, as I would just remove them anyway.

First problems occurred. The bike won't start and it seems to leak out fuel from somewhere around the top of the carbs. It also flooded so oil switch is due. I'm thinking needle valve, maybe poor/broken gaskets. I only removed the gas tank for now, taking a better look tomorrow.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
What position is your fuel cock in. If it is the vacuum operated one it should be either left or right. No fuel flows in that position unless the bike is running. Straight down is open and will flood your carbs. If you knew that sorry. I found out the hard way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason it doesn't have a Fuel Cock. It works with a Fuel Pump, so either way it seems weird to me that it floods. I might have drowned the spark plugs while at it as it only "promises" with one cylinder. Taking a look shortly. I hate it that you can't see spark plugs without taking off the carbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Small update. The bike is 1995, not 1999, according to the VIN. That explains why you guessed it's fuel injected. What I'm going to do is take off the carburetors, place them on a table like they would stand in the bike, then give them a little bit of gas to see which one is the weakest link so to say. Should I make a new post or continue this one?

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
Continue here. If you are pulling them get a gasket kit and clean them up. You likely have a float stuck or something. No real sense balancing dirty carbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carbs are out. Floats are not stuck, however one of the springs inside one float needle does not return fully, leaving the needle only half open max. One gasket is broken. Carbs are clean. Didn't really figure where it leaks yet, but I reckon I find it out soon.

·
Registered
873 Posts
1591707609057.png

That, is not a 1995. It is a '96-'99. They were Injected from '98+. You should really do some research and find out exactly what you have, so you can do some proper diagnostics on it. If it is indeed carbureted, they will need a complete rebuild...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting mistake on the Finnish Registeration Center then. No big deal. Currently investigating the leaking carburetor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Carburetor #3 Was leaking because of a snapped float chamber gasket. It was also inserted incorrectly. Kind of a red flag, I'm going to have to check other gaskets in the near future. I laid new gaskets in with some sealant glue just to make sure. I'll let it dry overnight and see if it still leaks tomorrow morning.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
Double check the plastic tee at the bottom of the fuel line between carb 3 and 4. I pulled my carbs 4 times looking for a leak and that was it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great idea. It didn't leak once I ran some tests but I'll check again. If it leaks the beer's on me

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
Mine had a hairline crack in the tee that was hard to see until you moved the tee sideways. I replaced it with parts from my spare carbs and had a little fuel weep around the rubber cups the tee sits in on the carbs. Gently rotating the tee up and down two or three times seated them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right. Another day another set of red flags.

Let's roll with the good news first.

Carburetors are now cleaned, back together and no leaks at all. First the #3 was giving me headache and after assembling them all, #4 had a small leak. It was because of a small "bubble" in the gasket, which I repaired with some adhesive used before. Now they're completely dry, no leaks after 4 hours. I'm going to do a double check tomorrow.

Now, the bad news. I took out the spark plugs and yikes, what a sight.

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-10 at 10.35.41 PM.jpeg

Clearly #3 has seen some rough ****. Gonna give them a cleaning and see if they still light up. Not looking forward of buying a new set as my financial situation for this month is kinda messed up, after buying the bike and all.

My question is, how could I possibly clean up the holes where the spark plugs go to? I'm sorry, I don't know the terms in English. They were pretty bad looking so thought why not clean them also while I'm at it.

Oh, and update on the VIN, it really is a -95 model according to it which seems weird to me. I spoke with some fellas and they said it's really weird, but the bike is definitely not stolen etc. Who knows huh?

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
For spark plugs I usually use a small brush then vacuum out any debris before I remove them. I don't want to knock any crap down into my motor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts