Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
It filters the oil with the same materials as stock, I think its the same as stock.

I do believe the K&N air filters are better though then stock, probably by 25% or so in reality.

If you want a REAL good oil filter get the lifetime ones, they're metal inside, these have magnets on the top (most oil filters do) to get large particles, then it was micro-metal holes, they filter 300% better than normal oil filters. This was proven by testing, so its not just bullshit. You buy one oil filter and thats it, it will last forever, you can use it as long as you have a bike to plug it into, seriously. They also don't need to be changed every oil change, like normal ones are changed every time you change your oil (owner manual says every 3 times, but people say do it everytime) , with these you can do it every 3 oil changes instead of every 1. They are just great all around.

The k&n air filters also last for like 50k miles and can be cleaned, unlike stock ones.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
Suzuki (and almost all Japanese motorcycle and car manufacturers) take the stance that the majority of the abrasive impurities that get in to the crankcase should be filtered out at the air cleaner, so they install relatively tight air filters and relatively loose oil filters. So, you would probably be okay with something with less filtration efficiency than the OEM oil filter, like a K&N. Personally, I don't get the point though. Do you REALLY want to disassemble and clean an oil filter? Do you REALLY think it's a great idea to leave it in for 50K? I don't.

For my money, I'd rather stick to either a Suzuki OEM (which is a very good quality filter) or another high-quality aftermarket replaceable filter, such as an Amsoil or the like. Not that Fram crap that will degrade it's element in to your oil over time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That's not true, in my opinion.

Its all about design. They can design a system that flows equal and filters more i'd think.. unless the filter is extremely maximized in design over the years leaving no room for improvement.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is no free lunch

More airflow, with the same size filter ALWAYS means larger
tolerances / larger holes / more contaminates. Period.

If you think the airfilter is the restriction on any properly built intake system, you're wrong. Any correct sized air filter will flow several times the maximum CFM of the throttle body or carburator. Otherwise, we could all take out the aircleaners and gain 15hp, right ?

Can you gain HP with different airfilters ? Sure - but it's about air turbulance / laminar airflow into the throttlebody or carburator, which is a subject that few people have real test equipment to show results for. It's not because you gained CFM unless somebody really boned up the sizing of the stock airfilter.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
For air filters, if you have more filter area you can have more airflow because there is more surface area for air to get through. That's why all of the panel filters are pleated, to get more surface area. But I have never seen any gains from changing the air filter on a modern sportbike. I also know riders with 100,000 miles on their bikes, a F4i in this case and that bikes still runs on the first engine, 2 tranny rebuild. Using OEM filters and oil. Considering that most sport bikes get wrecked or stolen within a few years, oil brand and such probably does not matter at all.
:laughingr

·
Registered
314 Posts
It filters the oil with the same materials as stock, I think its the same as stock.

I do believe the K&N air filters are better though then stock, probably by 25% or so in reality.

If you want a REAL good oil filter get the lifetime ones, they're metal inside, these have magnets on the top (most oil filters do) to get large particles, then it was micro-metal holes, they filter 300% better than normal oil filters. This was proven by testing, so its not just bullshit. You buy one oil filter and thats it, it will last forever, you can use it as long as you have a bike to plug it into, seriously. They also don't need to be changed every oil change, like normal ones are changed every time you change your oil (owner manual says every 3 times, but people say do it everytime) , with these you can do it every 3 oil changes instead of every 1. They are just great all around.

The k&n air filters also last for like 50k miles and can be cleaned, unlike stock ones.
Although I don't like anything K&N, the media used in their filters is not the same as stock. In their bike filters, they use a synthetic media rated at 20 Microns, Stock is cellulose (paper) and goes to bid every few years... Never know who is making them...

K&N Air Filters do a good job at 2 things. Flowing Air and Flowing Dirt...

The Lifetime filters are meant for racing and are usually 35 Micron.... They are like a K&N Flow more oil, catch less dirt. The cost of a Scotts is about $150.00 which is quite a few years of changing even Premium Disposable filters such as the AMSOIL which are conservatively Rated at 15 Micron and are actually better.

Now you have the mess and cleaning of the mesh filter. Without a Sonic cleaner, you really are not sure of just how clean it is as the human eye can only see to approximately 42 Micron. 65% of wear caused by dirt is caused by particles in the 5-25 Micron range.

More airflow, with the same size filter ALWAYS means larger
tolerances / larger holes / more contaminates. Period.

If you think the airfilter is the restriction on any properly built intake system, you're wrong. Any correct sized air filter will flow several times the maximum CFM of the throttle body or carburator. Otherwise, we could all take out the aircleaners and gain 15hp, right ?

Can you gain HP with different airfilters ? Sure - but it's about air turbulance / laminar airflow into the throttlebody or carburator, which is a subject that few people have real test equipment to show results for. It's not because you gained CFM unless somebody really boned up the sizing of the stock airfilter.
Not necessarily but I will agree that on these bikes it is best to stay with a quality OEM Air Filter ... There is more to it than just "More Air". Performance filters do show a HP increase in most cases on a Dyno, but as mentioned, at the cost of flowing more dirt.

Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
you are wromg about a K&N air filter letting more "Dirt" in it flows better becuase it lets more air in that part is true but the oil on a K&N catches "Dirt" thats why they are great unlike a OEM filter that is just paper and no oil. Its all about the oil i have a K&N in everything i drive and they get dirty alot faster than an OEM becuase it simply catches more.

·
Administrator
5,568 Posts
What is a Micron?
A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That's about .00003937 inches. Fine sand can be as small as 62 microns thick. Our filter will not allow any particle over 35 microns to pass through this filter, that's some pretty small stuff that's being caught.

So who uses this type of filtration?
This high tech filter technology is widely used in all types of auto racing including NASCAR, Indy type cars, Formula 1 and in the Aerospace industry where filtration is of the utmost importance.

Superior Filtration:
This should be the last oil filter you will ever buy! Made from laser cut, medical grade, 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth, this filter provides 200% more filter area in many cases. Most good paper filters will pass particles in the 90 to 95 micron range, and some tested, as much as 300 microns. Sand is about 125 microns and a white blood cell approximately 25 microns. Our stainless filter catches items down to 35 microns "absolute", which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. The pleat seam is welded, able to withstand up to 600 degrees in our filter, not glued, like paper filters.

Consistent flow under all conditions:
Stainless steel will stand up to the stress of heat, high pressure and physical handling much better than paper or brass. This filter maintains consistent flow under all conditions including cold start ups and or under extreme heat. A one inch square of this micron filter material will flow 1.9 gallons of 90 weight oil per minute at only 1 psi pump pressure (70 degrees F). Our typical filter size is 30 sq. in. which equals the flow of 57 gallons per minute. Standard paper filters do not flow well when the oil is cold, often causing the bypass valve to open allowing unfiltered oil to enter your engine,

I use a Scotts oil filter I have access to an ultra sonic cleaner so cleaning isn’t an issue. Also this is the same type of filter that is used on our aircraft, I figure if its good enough for a 40 million dollar aircraft its certainly good enough for my 10 thousand dollar bike. 35 microns is pretty damn small too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
you are wromg about a K&N air filter letting more "Dirt" in it flows better becuase it lets more air in that part is true but the oil on a K&N catches "Dirt" thats why they are great unlike a OEM filter that is just paper and no oil. Its all about the oil i have a K&N in everything i drive and they get dirty alot faster than an OEM becuase it simply catches more.
Industry tests, K&N's own tests, Donaldson's tests and my personal tests on a filter machine I own all say I am correct.

The oil does have an effect for sure. Oiled properly, a K&N flows more air and Dirt. Read K&N's own literature. More oil will catch more dirt but impedes air flow and a paper filter still does a better job catching the dirt.

There are filters on the market that flow as well as a K&N and capture up to 50 X's more dirt.

Bob

·
Registered
314 Posts
So who uses this type of filtration?
This high tech filter technology is widely used in all types of auto racing including NASCAR, Indy type cars, Formula 1 and in the Aerospace industry where filtration is of the utmost importance.
Racers such as mentioned are only worried about keeping the chunks out. Some use a pancake style steel mesh filter and many, use the WIX Racing filter which is a 60 Micron Filter and not suitable for a Daily Driver or someone without an unlimited budget.

The human eye can see to about 40 Micron.

65% of wear cased by dirt, is caused by particle smaller than 25 Micron.

The AMSOIL EA Series filter, flows better than an OEM Filter and is Conservatively rated at 15 Micron Absolute and does a fantastic job in the 5-15 micron range.

A Scott's filter is about $150 and you have the hassle of cleaning them all the time plus excessive wear.

I can buy a lot of AMSOIL Filters at $12.50 and just toss them away and have a better protected engine.

Bob

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
i always run k&n everything. its just a name brand i trust

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
whats the name of em? i want one!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts