Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was pretty annoyed to stop by the garage today to work on my car, only to see a small amount of oil underneath my beautiful k9 1000. Reached up under there and there isn't any oil anywhere except for on the actual filter where the nut is. Isn't dripping really but after about 5 days since my last ride there is about a 5 by 7 inch mark on the floor.

Just put the filter on 1200 miles ago. I change the oil every 1500 and filter every 4500. This is my 3rd filter of theirs I've used and was very satisfied. Now after reading this seens to be a fairly common issue other people have had. Should note I only hand tightened it. I just like the nut on the end for ease of removing it since that year is such a pain in the ass to reach in there.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
K&N Oil filter leaking..

I never had an issue with the k&n oil filter on my k7 600. I did tighten it beyond hand tight though as per the instructions. It has been a long time since I sold the bike so can’t remember the exact details.

Yes, the nut makes it easy to remove. That’s why I used that particular filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I'm currently using the Hi-Flo filters. Made by, or for K&N. Not sure which.

However, I'm pretty sure the OEM manual states that when the filter seats-
Turn it Two complete turns.

I use the wrench to tighten mine. YMMV.

Sounds like you just need to snug it up a bit.
I've had one drip once too, snugged it some more- no problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently using the Hi-Flo filters. Made by, or for K&N. Not sure which.

However, I'm pretty sure the OEM manual states that when the filter seats-
Turn it Two complete turns.

I use the wrench to tighten mine. YMMV.

Sounds like you just need to snug it up a bit.
I've had one drip once too, snugged it some more- no problem.
Oil filter isnt leaking from the seal, but from the actual filter itself. The base of it is bone dry. And if you looked at the reviews or goodle search you will see this has been a problem recently them leaking from the nut. I was taught to tighten an oil filter to the base and then turn it 3/4 inchs further by hand. Never had one leak before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have never had any issues from Suzuki or K&N filters on my bike or any of my other ones. My 02 GSXR has 80K miles on it and I change the oil every 6k miles and filter every 2nd oil change, same for all the other bikes I have had. Just go back to the OEM filter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Because of this reason?

What filter do you run? Ive had luck with fram on my other bike.
I use an OEM honda filter on my CBR and a reusable FLO oil filter on my GSXR track bike that gets more frequent oil changes.

OEM is generally fine. Alot of the Taiwan filters with the nut could potentially leak at the spot welds on the nuts. This can be catastrophically bad in use with pressured oil running through the filter. Chances are low that the filter could leak or rupture but it's not a chance I want to take. If I was using a Hi-flo or K&N oil filter I would tighten it with a strap wrench only and use the nut to loosen and remove the filter.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,702 Posts
There's a reason they're banned from several race and trackday organizations. I've used a couple before with no problems but now it's OEM only for me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I used to use Fram filters on all of my cars and truck, until they started making them REALLY cheap. China? Don't really care where they are made. Used to be a good filter. Now I have to stop using K&N as well? That sucks. Been using them on my bikes for decades.

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
Dont use the nut to tighten it, this breaks the weld on the cheap piece of crap. Like said above it's been banned from most race and track orgs, and even the track itself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Sounds like the quality has dropped off since I last used a k&n oil filter. Good to know of the issues folks are having.

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
Sounds like the quality has dropped off since I last used a k&n oil filter. Good to know of the issues folks are having.

Its mostly from people using the nut to tighten it which leads to it being overtighten. If they would tighten it like normal it would eliminate 90% of the issue. The version for the R6 is actually faulty, blows out right at the seal ring.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Fram tends to have a worse reputation than K&N nowadays. For me it's the OEM or Mobil-1.
+1

I'll use HiFlo without hesitation, too. German TUV tested for what that's worth.
The racing version has the crossdrilled nut on it, too. Advised to be used only for removal just like K&N.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts