Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to this forum
I’m recently bought a k1 1000 .. it has 10w 40 super 4 semi synthetic in . It’s very hard to get it in neural when idling . Rocking it back and forth holding clutch in does nothing for it . The only time I get it in neutral is when I keep the clutch in while rolling to a stop . With the engine off rocking it back and forth without clutch going up it goes in neutral easy like it should and coming down from second it’s ok if I dnt press to hard . If I press hard enough it goes ryt past . . Does this sound like it’s just worn out ? Also iv owned a srad 750 and k4 750 and I dnt remember the clutch leaver being so hard to press . Iv used a cable lube tool and sprayed it while the cable is connected to the bike , I did loosen the bottom nut an gave it a gud squirt.. which got rid of the gritty sound it had ( definitely dirty) and I adjusted the bottom a little higher than it was allowing the top to be half skewed out ( the top of the cable by the leaver was max out before I adjusted it ) . Well the clutch feels less hard but still hard enough to annoy me ..

·
Super Moderator
9,016 Posts
Welcome.

That is a classic sign of the clutch dragging. More than likely due to it not being adjusted correctly. (too much lever free play)

The cable could also be stretched causing an adjustment issue.

Being almost 20 years old, it would not be a bad idea to replace the clutch cable.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yes, what John said. Sounds to me you need a new cable, and a proper clutch adjustment. If it seems to shift smooth while riding, but not idling at a stand still, you are out of adjustment. If you adjusted it correctly (according to the manual) then your cable is too far gone. That clutch should be like butter, with just 2 fingers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.

That is a classic sign of the clutch dragging. More than likely due to it not being adjusted correctly. (too much lever free play)

The cable could also be stretched causing an adjustment issue.

Being almost 20 years old, it would not be a bad idea to replace the clutch cable.
Awesome man , when I got her she did have a lot of free play on the lever.. also she has loads of miles on her

Will definitely get a cable as soon as .. what’s a gud quality cable to get ?

·
Super Moderator
9,016 Posts
Will definitely get a cable as soon as .. what’s a gud quality cable to get ?
I think your choices may be limited on that age bike anyway but the OEM part is good and only about $20.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so ordered the cable. Will be here soon 💪.. so listening to the bike idle with it in neutral and there is actually a sound difference when holding the clutch in .. Anyway will post my results .. anyone know the manual setting ?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I ALWAYS pop it into neutral when coming to a stop.
After lots of miles- holding the clutch disengaged/in will eventually put a little more wear on the frictions/plates vs. leaving it engaged/lever out, like at a long stop light.

Can you push the bike by foot with the clutch in/engine running?

There is the standard clutch adjustment procedure in the Service manual too.

The manual setting for what, the clutch play?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ALWAYS pop it into neutral when coming to a stop.
After lots of miles- holding the clutch disengaged/in will eventually put a little more wear on the frictions/plates vs. leaving it engaged/lever out, like at a long stop light.

Can you push the bike by foot with the clutch in/engine running?

There is the standard clutch adjustment procedure in the Service manual too.

The manual setting for what, the clutch play?
Got the manual 💪..
Yeah when I hold clutch in whilst in gear I’m able to push it freely

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Got the manual 💪..
Yeah when I hold clutch in whilst in gear I’m able to push it freely
Then it doesn't sound like the clutch is dragging really.
If it's not slipping and does not move when put in gear at idle,
sounds like your good?

I find it easy with a light tap or up shift to pop it into neutral just before rolling to a complete stop. Give it a try.
I do have mine set up reverse/GP shift, but it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then it doesn't sound like the clutch is dragging really.
If it's not slipping and does not move when put in gear at idle,
sounds like your good?

I find it easy with a light tap or up shift to pop it into neutral just before rolling to a complete stop. Give it a try.
I do have mine set up reverse/GP shift, but it shouldn't matter.
I’m waiting for the cable to see what’s cooking .. it goes right past neutral even with the lightest touch , even by hand .. the only way other than switching the bike off then putting it into neutral is to hold clutch in while I’m still rolling to a stop then give a light tap .. most times it will go past neutral But then works coming from second gear .. but yeah clutch is way to hard . I’m waiting for this cable then I can see if there’s dirt inside aswell . ..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so cable came today . Wasn’t planning on doing it coz I just got back from a 12 h shift .. will probably have a 4 h sleep but yeah found myself installing it ..
Took off the cover where the cable is hooked on and mahn there was a lot of dirt . Even with the cover off the cable was tough when pulling the lever .. this cable was definitely stretched aswell .. put in the new cable and I feel a more direct response ( if u know what I mean ) .. and definitely a difference. But still harder than it should be . I can now adjust it where it’s bearable, it grabs like half way out .. still slips past neutral all to easily. . Walked past an 600 srad today and boy was that lever easy to pull ..

so what’s my next step

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Did you adjust the clutch? Not just the cable, but the clutch has an adjustment rod as well. Need to adjust it properly according to the service manual. Also, be sure your cable is routed correctly, it will make a difference on how the lever feels.

Reactions: rv6john

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you adjust the clutch? Not just the cable, but the clutch has an adjustment rod as well. Need to adjust it properly according to the service manual. Also, be sure your cable is routed correctly, it will make a difference on how the lever feels.
No haven’t adjusted the clutch .. but cable is where it should be , will update u on that one

·
Super Moderator
9,016 Posts
Did you clean and lubricate the release assembly when you had it apart? Or it might be so worn it should be replaced.

I'll also second Spyder13's cable routing suggestion. Make sure there are no sharp bends.

If all this is in good condition and properly adjusted, you are probably down to a warped clutch plate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you clean and lubricate the release assembly when you had it apart? Or it might be so worn it should be replaced.

I'll also second Spyder13's cable routing suggestion. Make sure there are no sharp bends.

If all this is in good condition and properly adjusted, you are probably down to a warped clutch plate.

View attachment 294028
Yeah sprayed it with wd-40 anti friction dry ptfe lube .. same stuff I used to clean the old cable . and used a brush to clean it ..once I open it up again to adjust the clutch il have a closer look at that assembly, I did turn it and let it flick back ..nothing grabbed my attention..

·
Super Moderator
9,016 Posts
@Vincent Check that it moves smoothly. There is a ramp inside to push the rod and I can see that getting worn, loosing lift and getting stiff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sup guys .. so I took it apart again .. checked the release assembly and everything is working as it should .. adjust it by the lever so that it’s barely turned out maybe 3 turns out ..probably the softest il get that lever to pull . Believe it might be the springs , when I come round to changing the clutch il mention it on this chat .. and about her missing neutral well took her out for a long ride and now she selects into neutral no problem.. more sensitive than my previous bikes but works none the less .. maybe lack of oil as she was standing a gud while .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts