Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I literally just signed up to ask this question in hopes that you guys will have some ideas on this one. I did some looking around prior but didn't find my exact issue.

Here is the back story. I just pulled my 2002 GSXR 1000 out of storage. It was mechanically sound and ran great before storing it. It was sitting for 3 years with a FULL tank of 91 pump gas. Well it wouldn't start, go figure, so here is what I have done so far:

New battery
Air filter looks ok
Oil looks ok
New spark plugs (old ones looked fowled)
Checked spark and its getting spark on all 4 plugs
Drained the tank, pulled fuel pump out of the tank and cleaned it thoroughly (also the screen/filter). It was all gunked up from sitting for so long with a full tank
Put in fresh fuel with injector cleaner
Pulled the fuel injectors, cleaned them and tested them. They spray well now
Fuel line looks good and so does the fuel rail
Fuel pump primes (I can hear it priming) but it wont start. Engine just cranks and cranks until I need to recharge the battery again

At this point I was starting to fear the worst so I decided to try some starting fluid. It started up and ran for a few seconds using starting fluid so that leads me to believe there is a fuel issue somewhere.

Do you guys think I just need to run it for longer with starting fluid to clear it out a bit? Maybe the pump primes but isn't healthy enough to keep the bike running? Maybe an electrical issue somewhere? Any ideas on what to look at next?

·
Mod of the North
28,848 Posts
If it fired up and died in starter fluid you are probably on the right path chasing a fuel issue. Do a fuel pressure and flow test. The procedure and specs are in the manual.

Reactions: gsxrdude99

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
Welcome. ^What Tin said.

I'll take a guess that you did not get the pump assembly back together or that an o-ring was damaged bleeding off fuel pressure. The fuel pressure and flow test will confirm or eliminate these possibilities.

Reactions: gsxrdude99

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys! Sorry it took me a bit to respond. Been super busy lately..ugghhh. I pulled the pump assembly back out of the tank and inspected it. I had hooked everything back up correctly. I decided to test the pump by giving it power from a 9V battery just to hear if it made any noise and got nothing so I'm thinking the pump is bad (maybe I wasn't hearing it prime, idk). Found a new pump on eBay for $40 and it comes with a new strainer and pressure regulator so I'm going to see if that does the job.

I'll update the post once I have it in there. Might be a few days though.

·
Mod of the North
28,848 Posts
9V won’t do much for that pump. You best try it from a 12V battery before you turf it.

·
Mod of the North
28,848 Posts
Also. A new pump from Ebay that is $40.00 is likely (most certainly) going to either A) not fit right or B) not work long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good call. I tried my 12V motorcycle battery and it spun up. I put the assembly back together and I noticed that the bottom O-ring was jammed up inside the black hi-flow filter housing so I'm thinking that might be what the issue was. It must of gotten jammed in there when I reassembled it the first time after cleaning the assembly. Surprisingly the O-ring was not damaged and I lightly lubricated it so that wouldn't happen again on the 2nd go around. Here it is back together again. I'm going to put it back in the tank and try again tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
Glad you found the o-ring issue. You should still do a pressure and flow test when you get it back together.

Reactions: Spyder13
1 - 9 of 9 Posts