Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out for a short ride the other day, enjoying the first sunny days of spring up in the great white north. I just changed the plugs and oil on my 2003 600 and everything was running great. I put in about a 25 mile ride, when about 1000 feet from home the engine just cut out. All the electrical still on, no check engine light. No signs of any damage on the outside of the engine. The bike cranks strong and hickups like it wants to run, but will not start. Is there a fuze for the coils or the injectors that could have blown randomly? I can hear the fuel pump running like normal, and low fuel pressure should trigger a CEL right? What am I not thinking of here? Thanks.
-Ryan

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Welcome.

Yes, there are separate fuses under the seat and that is what I'd check first.

When you say you hear the fuel pump running, do you only hear the "prime" when you first turn on the ignition or do you hear it when you are using the starter also?

The red light should be on anyway due to low oil pressure since the engine is not running.

There is not a fault code/CEL for low fuel pressure. The ECMs in those bikes are not very smart.

By any chance is "CHEC" showing in the temp window?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the oil pressure indicator and FI light are on like you would expect. But there is no CHEC indicator, and when I put the bike In dealer mode there are no codes, just C00. It's hard to say if the fuel pump is running while it's cranking, I could try to listen more closely for that; but it sounds healthy when priming.

The fact that the engine will sputter once and then just do nothing while cranking I would think points to it not being a fuze. But I will check anyway.

I'm starting to worry that my ecm has gone from being "not very smart" to being dead.

Or some kind of ground fault in the ignition system.
Thanks.

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,817 Posts
Have you tried spraying a little starter fluid down the bores while cranking? If it fires and wants to run on starter fluid it will tell you you have a fuel problem. Of not your problem is likely electrical.

·
Super Moderator
9,725 Posts
Try some starter fluid first as Tin said to confirm a fuel issue.

If you put your ear to the tank, you can hear the fuel pump running over the other noise. It should run continuously when the stater is actuated.

No "CHEC", the fuel pump priming and the bike running for a short time are all good signs the ECM is healthy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts