Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a valve clearance check on my k3-600. I cleaned the surfaces and dabbed ultra black rvt sealant in the crescent sections as shown in the manual. It was a pain in ass getting the valve cover seated since it’s so crammed in there. I’m going back to do this job all over again. Does anyone know how to get the valve cover easier without removing the engine? I had the tank propped up and throttle body left on. What would you do to get this from leaking again?
Thanks

·
Administrator
12,179 Posts
I can't help you with any advice about R&R the valve cover but have you determined where it is leaking before you pull it apart?

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
I've last done it on a K5/6 1000.

I used the RTV in the upper cover case and stuck the gasket to it there. Then use a little more on the half moon thingies.
IIRC, I removed my TB's too. I had read that tip somewhere from others. Take your time, Then tighten them all a little at a time, etc.

You'll get it. Mine's never leaked a drop before I went in, or since.

Reactions: XPOH

·
Registered
477 Posts
use a little more on the half moon thingies.
IIRC, I removed my TB's too. I had read that tip somewhere from others.
Exactly same as mine work on valve clearance on k6 600 last winter. Also I used gasket maker instead of RTV sealant and did it withing using directions of gasket maker. Nothing leaking for now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was going to dive into this job sometime over winter, but was not planning to add anything to the rubber seal.

Is it recommended?

I was always told never to add materials to the rubber, it can actually stop it working properly. A smear of red rubber grease maybe, that can help hold it in place too.

I hate using RTV and sealants. Always cause problems somewhere down the 'road'. I have another vehicle I have to cut off some old leaking rocker cover RTV. Awful job, designed without a seal and you have to use RTV. Why they couldn't design it with a proper rubber seal.

Seriously, if it is 'necessary' to add shit to the seal, I might leave the job for another year. Really can't be bothered with that sort of hassle.

Good luck to fix it, @Eth727 .

·
Registered
368 Posts
So, just on the half moon bits? I guess it is to stop them wobbling in and out when being installed and until all settled in.

Why are those holes even there? Why isn't it a flat seal!? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it calls for Suzuki bond . I think I need to remove the tank completely and the throttle body and wiring bundle so that way it’ll drop in straight down vs going in at an angle and side ways. It’s crazy I was like how in the hell because it’s so tight as far as room goes.

·
Registered
477 Posts
So, just on the half moon bits? I guess it is to stop them wobbling in and out when being installed and until all settled in.

Why are those holes even there? Why isn't it a flat seal!? :confused:
I guess no, I think it for sharp corners and narrow slit around half moons, that couldn't sealed firmly with rubber

·
Registered
368 Posts
From watching videos on the valve adjust job, I think the simplest way to improve access is you loosen the radiator off then that makes the job easier as you can move it sideways and reach under.

I also have a replacement radiator, the existing one is stuffed with road crap and rusty, but really not that bothered to fit the replacement as it all works fine still.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bingo! Found it. It wasn’t seated properly. I couldn’t see this side earlier since the throttle body was in the way. The crescents with rvt didn’t leak. I’m going to let the gasket decompress and I’ll close it up. The good thing is it didn’t get cut or damaged when it was being tightened from earlier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts