Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the GSXR community here! Bought a clean 2003 GSXR 600 to toodle around the track on! Pretty new to the track scene as well, rode an 05 CBR600rr last year on the track. Is this a good bike to learn on at the track? It has the stock suspension (conventional fork that appear to be fully adjustable) on it. How does the stock suspension handle on the track compared to USD forks?

Should I just plan on swapping out the front end for the USD forks of the K3 750 before taking it out to the track? I’ve been reading it’s a direct and straight forward swap.

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
Welcome.

I can't tell you how that thing will do on the track but i can say that you can find a decently sorted GXSR600 or R6 track bike for about 4k usually with body work and suspension done.

If you bought a clean bike, I would keep it as a clean street bike. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Mod of the North
28,851 Posts
John has a point. You might want to pick up some track plastics and put the street fairings somewhere safe.

I am not a track guy but I do know these are very capable bikes stock. If you really are a novice track rider I would think the stock forks have more than enough performance and adjustments to accommodate your current skill level.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Given the age of the bike, I would get the fork oil and seals replaced. Then get the suspension setup for you by someone who knows what they’re doing. Also recommend a good service and check over. The track is not the place to find out someone put a master clip style chain on the bike. That said, you’ll have a blast. I loved riding my k7 600 on the track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Given the age of the bike, I would get the fork oil and seals replaced. Then get the suspension setup for you by someone who knows what they’re doing. Also recommend a good service and check over. The track is not the place to find out someone put a master clip style chain on the bike. That said, you’ll have a blast. I loved riding my k7 600 on the track.
Im definitely planning on giving her the TLC she needs. So she handles pretty well on track with the stock suspension? Sounds like I’m better of leaving the suspension alone then.

Finding a track setup was difficult in Nebraska, so I found the bike near by and it wasn’t trashed for $2500. I’ll still be going through her with a fine tooth comb. She will need new sprockets and chain. The previous owner had Continental Tires on it, so I’m gonna replace those with Michelin Power 5 or Dunlop’s Q3+ or Q4s. I’ll plan on getting some track fairings for her as well.

The previous owner put some rocker switch on the speedometer and I’m not what that does. When I get a chance, I’ll take a picture of it.

Last thing I noticed, why is there a choke on the bike when it’s fuel injected?

Thank you all for the help!

·
Mod of the North
28,851 Posts
The switch might be either a cooling fan switch or a dealer mode switch.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
1,699 Posts
That's not a choke, it's a manual high idle lever. Same functionality as a "choke" on a carbed bike. Use it to raise your idle on a cold start.
You should MOST DEFINITELY follow Chucks advice and change the fork oil, and seals. Makes a HUGE difference in the way the bike will handle. Good luck!

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,910 Posts
Nebraska eh? Any chance you're looking at Hastings for track days? I've been there a couple of times with TrackAddix. Hoping they get back to Raceway Park of the Midlands near Omaha someday too but doesn't sound like it will be this year (was 14 FEET under water a couple years ago).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts