Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Okay so this is where I'm at, it's deinately this connection as you guys have suggested.. When trying to disconnect it the lights and stuff were coming on etc (didn't realise I had keys in untill light came on, they are out now)

After a good fight I managed to get th plug apart, and I think that connection on the top row, just right of center is burnt slightly cause that's the black and white earth cable.
Is there any UK stockists you guys know of that sell these plugs and I can just take all the connections out and put them in a brand new connector?

The radiator will need to come off to access the male end of the connector as it's not very accessible atm

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thinking of ordering these @billv

Id just take each wire out and recrimo it with new pin and insert into new plug housing for both male and female side.

Long slow process but at least I'd have peace of mind my connections would all be brand new.

What you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Deleted my post. I see you found the issue.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Eastern Beaver has a minimum order that you may not like. But you can ease the pain by also buying a crimping tool, I got the Hero FRH-07. You'll need something like it anyway. I think the blackened contact in your pic is the B/W ground, which is used by everything, and the blue/green corrosion is the R/Bl 12V to the cluster. But frankly all of your contacts look like they're starting to corrode.

There's also Corsa Technic and I'll bet that there are UK sellers (search for "sumitomo connectors in uk"). But you need a crimping tool. Once you've changed things, put some dielectric grease on them - or do it now.

If you're careful you can file the side of the crimped area until it's weak enough to bend. In this way you can replace the contacts without shortening the wires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Eastern Beaver has a minimum order that you may not like. But you can ease the pain by also buying a crimping tool, I got the Hero FRH-07. You'll need something like it anyway. I think the blackened contact in your pic is the B/W ground, which is used by everything, and the blue/green corrosion is the R/Bl 12V to the cluster. But frankly all of your contacts look like they're starting to corrode.

There's also Corsa Technic and I'll bet that there are UK sellers (search for "sumitomo connectors in uk"). But you need a crimping tool. Once you've changed things, put some dielectric grease on them - or do it now.

If you're careful you can file the side of the crimped area until it's weak enough to bend. In this way you can replace the contacts without shortening the wires.
Yeah looks like quite alot of corrosion tbh so would rather just try rewire both sides of the plug for peace of mind. Will try get the connector sourced this week and get on with the re wire as soon as lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your connector bodies may be fine, look for any melting, and you just need the contacts. I think that they're Sumitomo 8230-4282 and 8240-4422. They're like $.16/ea. Someone in the UK ought to have them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's a good point mate, the bodies did look okay to be honest, just dirty looking lol.. Could be just a new set of pins I'm after that's a bonus lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
Suzuki switched to a sealed connector in K9 and the problems went away. Unfortunately the contacts, though they look the same, are different and won't interchange. If you wanted to change everything, you could do it. But you'd then have a non-standard harness. That's something to consider on a K1/K2. But on yours, new contacts and some dielectric grease ought to be enough. I remove the grease from telephone splice connectors for that purpose.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Suzuki switched to a sealed connector in K9 and the problems went away. Unfortunately the contacts, though they look the same, are different and won't interchange. If you wanted to change everything, you could do it. But you'd then have a non-standard harness. That's something to consider on a K1/K2. But on yours, new contacts and some dielectric grease ought to be enough. I remove the grease from telephone splice connectors for that purpose.
Can I switch my 04 connector to 09?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello lads just a quick update.

managed to get a bit of time today and it was decent weather so managed to get a bit of hands on time.

removed and re crimped the pins and now we have connection to earth so lights on ?

thanks for the help in finding what was wrong for me, I’ve got a service and a few other things lined up before the good weathers right in here. Might get a blast to work on Tuesday I’ll see how it is hahah

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
@DylanGSXR start at the cluster or headlights and just follow the wires back. They all come together at that big plug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@DylanGSXR start at the cluster or headlights and just follow the wires back. They all come together at that big plug.
Yeah mate check the other post, found a burnt out connection on the earth pin in said plug your on about.

removed the burn crimp and put a new one on. Everything working now as it should, chuffed to bits

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
@DylanGSXR Sorry about that. It popped up as a new post and landed at the end of page one. My bad, I'm getting used to the new layout.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts