Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so honestly I don’t even know where to start because there’s been so much I’ve done but I’ll start by saying what the issues are after I introduce myself, my Name is Gabe 21 years old from WA and I ride a K4 Gsxr 1000.

the issues I’m having with the bike are

-spitting and sputtering at about 4K but as you rev it, sounds like it gets better in the mid rpm range but as SOON as you give it full throttle it surges at about 9-10k RPMS picks back up barely, and falls off and stays at about 10k like it’s hitting rev limiter.

This is my last resort I’ve done as much research as I possibly can and I’m just stumped.

before I start throwing money I don’t have at the bike I want to make sure I test and make sure everything I can do in my ability is already done cause I’m tight on cash right now.

the bike recently started doing this and I’ve had it since last November.

so I’m just gonna name off pretty much everything I have done/checked

air filter cleaned, fuel pump screen cleaned the tank is literally spotless inside maybe a couple spots of corrosion if that, but no rust at all. The screen had very little debris on it but there is was little chunks particles/debris looked to be from when I sanded my tank and repainted it a whileeee back and it’s weird it’s just now doing it? I’ve ran plenty of Seafoam through the bike that at this point it just isn’t going to work anymore I’ve bought injector cleaner hoping maybe it would help clean not just the injectors but maybe the inside of the fuel pump housing.

I also heard there is an internal filter inside the black housing Of the fuel pump? Is there any way I can clean that and not have to buy a new pump because if I have to buy a whole new pump that’s going to happen very soon.... sadly...

I took the throttle bodies off cleaned the fuel rail, cleaned the injectors as best as I could without actually pushing pressure through them cause I don’t have the proper tools to do so. I did a fuel pressure test on my fuel pump and as I rev the bike up the fuel pressure goes up to about 45 46 or around that area so fuel pressure is good, I also went up to limiter to make sure and seemed to be the same pressure.

I checked the coil packs they all spark fine but one of them is missing the metal piece in the tip so it moves around on top of the spark plug but it still touches fine and arcs and sparks fine I even put a little tin foil in there to take up some space and nothing seemed different and the coil pack has always been that way so I wouldn’t understand why just now it would start acting up or be the culprit of these issues. The plugs seem to be good too the iode is white as it should be but there is definitely some carbon buildup on all of them. The bike isn’t throwing codes at all, anyone have any idea what this could be??? Please any help at all would be really appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
Welcome.

^What RockerGuy said.

There is a pleated paper filter inside that housing, just back flush it gently till it runs clean. Do not use compressed air. I'm also sure there will be trash in there being a 16 year old bike.

When you did the fuel pressure check, did you have the gauge T'd into the fuel line and checked the pressure with the bike running?

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome.

^What RockerGuy said.

There is a pleated paper filter inside that housing, just back flush it gently till it runs clean. Do not use compressed air. I'm also sure there will be trash in there being a 16 year old bike.

When you did the fuel pressure check, did you have the gauge T'd into the fuel line and checked the pressure with the bike running?
okay thanks guys! I will try that out and will be back with results might not be for a couple days but I’ll have some feedback.
That was going to be the last thing I tried before I made this post but I thought I may as well just Incase it doesn’t help it.
And yepp I had the pressure gauge T’d up to the fuel pump and onto the fuel rail and as I revved the bike it would spike all the way up to the normal 46 area.

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
okay thanks guys! I will try that out and will be back with results might not be for a couple days but I’ll have some feedback.
That was going to be the last thing I tried before I made this post but I thought I may as well just Incase it doesn’t help it.
And yepp I had the pressure gauge T’d up to the fuel pump and onto the fuel rail and as I revved the bike it would spike all the way up to the normal 46 area.
That is good, but if you still had 43psi at higher power settings, than it probably not your filter. Check the filter anyway.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is good, but if you still had 43psi at higher power settings, than it probably not your filter. Check the filter anyway.
okay I know this is kinda dumb but say the inner filter isnt the issue? Would anything else make it run this way?
My kickstand switch is also deleted it because just like every other kickstand switch this one became faulty and started messing with the bike one day and got scary DEADLY, I’d be hitting about 120 and the bike would shut off and just come back on and nearly buck me over the front of the bike & that shit was sketchy hahahaha so I deleted that. Is it even a thing where dirt could work it’s way into the connector plug and make my bike run this way?
I don’t know haha I might be sounding dumb.
any other ideas? I’m dreading the fact that maybe just maybe? my bike jumped timing cause I sometimes have a habit of bouncing off limiter when people either pull out in front of me or just from riding Hard Cause I wear earplugs and sometimes can’t hear The limiter and I’m not ALWAYS looking at my tach to tell me when to shift sometimes it’s by the feeling.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only asking because I can’t clean the filter right now and want to get some other ideas going, so if that doesnt work I can jump right in to the next task.

·
Registered
497 Posts
How is there a spike? I believe the pressure regulator should maintain a constant 43 psi.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh yeah, there's also a fuel filter bypass. Reason I didn't do it is because the I believe the fuel will be pushed thru the pump at 43 psi rather than the full brunt of the pump. But it's an option to think about.

·
Super Moderator
8,750 Posts
Only asking because I can’t clean the filter right now and want to get some other ideas going, so if that doesnt work I can jump right in to the next task.
No guesses till you clean the high pressure filter and hopefully it fixes it.

I was just assuming that if the filter was partially blocked that the fuel pressure would drop as the power, and hence the fuel flow, increased.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have some absolute terrible news but I also have good news.... the good news was it was the main and obvious culprit it ended up being a clogged inner fuel filter inside the black housing on the fuel pump I just back flushed it with a can of starter fluid, brake cleaner and can of carb cleaner and she was RIPPIN for a good 20 minutes. Unfortunately after those 20 minutes I had the closes call of my life and unfortunately lost my front end and it washed out from under me going around a corner at 80+ On a very course road
DDFC34F3-D5AE-43DD-9948-1DCC9EBF49AE.png
7EFC7C2F-3DBD-46F9-A6CB-5F698B08422A.png
75FEFBD1-C3F3-4B0F-A98D-DEB039E6F8FA.png
and this is the end result and what my bike looks like currently... I’m very thankful to be alive and well with only a couple bruised ribs a hole in my knee and just some road rash around my body... since I was going out for the test ride I only wore my leather jacket and didn’t even bat an eye about wearing my pants and I wish I would’ve....

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy shit! How bad are you rashed? Is the frame bent? Glad you are OK.
From the angle of one of the pictures I took it does kinda look as if maybe the swing arm is bent or the frame is tweaked a little but as far as I’m concerned the frame is pretty straight and if it’s not pulling ridiculously to the left or right once I rebuild it I’m just gonna run it screw it! But I’m just rashed up on both calf’s shins, knees my ass and my stomach and back if I had pictures I would post them but the only ones that took plenty of pictures were the 3 sheriffs that were stopped and talking to me. And thanks man appreciate it! Very thankful to be walking and talking haha. Also I know this is kind of an odd question but when my bike did the multiple flips it did it actually ended puncturing my clutch cover and took a couple chunks out of my clutch basket and the top plate, the clutch still engages fine shifts through all gears, all the plates slide back and forth smoothly it’s just missing a couple contact points where the plate itself is held by the basket. And also it took a couple chunks out of the top plate also so basically is what I’m asking is if I NEED to spend the 200$ on a new clutch basket and just buy the 1 new clutch plate or do you think it might be ok to continue to ride until I can actually afford to buy the new basket? I’m very tight on cash is the only reason why I’m willing to ride it the way it is. I’ll try and label the pictures below as best as I can to show you what I mean. First thing I was going to do was take all the plates out or atleast the top one make sure it isn’t cracked and if everything seemed fine I was going to assemble it back and see how the clutch felt? Just want to take the top one out & make sure it isn’t cracked or anything so it doesn’t fall apart and grenade my engine. Anyways thanks guys for the previous help looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say!
FC8F274B-E81D-48A0-8D76-CD8EA211B449.jpeg
AA766D21-62A8-474C-9061-65216099A745.jpeg

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Hope you heal up soon. Sorry to hear about your unexpected separation from the bike.

Once you’re ok, worry about the bike. The bike can be replaced if need be. I wouldn’t rush into buying parts until you know for sure the frame is dead straight and there are no cracks.

I’m guessing you won’t be riding anywhere in the future without all your gear on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts