Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Due to this low pressure brake fluid hose that runs between the Reservoir and and Master Cylinder getting rubbed slightly when the front end is put over to the left steering stop, I just noticed today that it has almost rubbed thru! - almost.

Thankfully it had not yet, 'cz then that caustic brake fluid would run right down on the fairings, etc. Thank Heaven it did not.

It's this little rubber hose, that has no part # in the Service manual, and is seen here towards the upper right on this page:

It is low pressure, but for sure is a special hose to stand up to that brake fluid.

Where, what, and how.

Can I go to an auto parts store and get a foot hose, of brake line?

Please chime in b/c I want to drain and fix this tomorrow when I have off.

Thanks in advance,
The Todd

·
Premium Member
8,361 Posts
It shows it as p/n 59731-41G00 in the online fiche but no price so it is no longer available.

Was your bike subject to the master cylinder recall? It included bikes about that year and the replacement master was different and had a new hose and reservoir.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
EDPM rubber is a common type used on brake and clutch hoses. I imagine it would be pretty easy to match if you carry yours to the auto parts store to get the right diameter.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It shows it as p/n 59731-41G00 in the online fiche but no price so it is no longer available.

Was your bike subject to the master cylinder recall? It included bikes about that year and the replacement master was different and had a new hose and reservoir. View attachment 293127
Thanks John,
Yes, it's had the recalls like this one, and the frame brace too.
I found one online, it calls for an 8mm ID hose? It's clear too. But it is for the resevoir hose.

EDPM rubber is a common type used on brake and clutch hoses. I imagine it would be pretty easy to match if you carry yours to the auto parts store to get the right diameter.
EDPM- OK. I looked online tonight, and the few chain auto part stores near me don't list it as sold by the Ft.
Thanks for the info, and I'll keep looking.

It ain't leaking yet, I don't want to temp fate though.
If that springs a small leak, it's right above the Rt side fairing.

I was also thinking about driving across town to the MC salvage place.
Got to be plenty of the little short hoses there.
Problem is- closed on Mondays! Ugggg

I don't need it right away, and it ain't leaking- yet.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that sound right? An 8mm ID hose? They also have a 1/4" ID hose, both on Amazon.
I went out and looked at mine, and I thought 8mm ID looked a little to big?

Trouble is also, the reviews do talk about kinking unless you use more hose, route funny, etc.

They are also use for MC deletes on the rear mostly I guess.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my MC looks like the hose is routed differently than in the parts fiche. The recall replacement.

Here's the Amazon hose by the Ft. It does look like it would kink easily, like the reviews say too.

YOu can see the 5/16- 8mm, and the 1/4" one on this page

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Does that sound right? An 8mm ID hose? They also have a 1/4" ID hose, both on Amazon.
I went out and looked at mine, and I thought 8mm ID looked a little to big?

Trouble is also, the reviews do talk about kinking unless you use more hose, route funny, etc.

They are also use for MC deletes on the rear mostly I guess.
If you can't get the routing you want without kinking, you might be able to use an anti-kinking spring on the hose.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm tempted to get this one, about $12 bucks shipped, up to 10 days. It's black, and I don't think it will kink much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Your reservoir bracket, and probably the MC, is the recall part. Suzuki discontinued any part that was replaced during the recall so that owners couldn't continue using the OEM MC. A pn is not listed for the hose in the recall instructions so it's not clear what was used there, i.e. the lack of mention of a new hose suggests that the OEM part was reused, yet the OEM 59731-41G00 hose is discontinued in the parts fiche.

However all is not lost. Even though the US dealers don't show what hose to use, the European dealers do. See this for example. The 59731-32C00 hose is readily available here.

Go figure.

P.S. I had a related problem with the reservoir bracket. When the recall was announced I realized that the bracket was being replaced and that Suzuki would probably want it. But it worked correctly with the Brembo RCS on the bike so I didn't want to give it up. It was already unavailable through my local dealer but they found one in Denver and I bought it from them. As a result of an ongoing dispute with Suzuki over the recall process, I still have the OEM MC as well as the additional bracket.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your reservoir bracket, and probably the MC, is the recall part. Suzuki discontinued any part that was replaced during the recall so that owners couldn't continue using the OEM MC. A pn is not listed for the hose in the recall instructions so it's not clear what was used there, i.e. the lack of mention of a new hose suggests that the OEM part was reused, yet the OEM 59731-41G00 hose is discontinued in the parts fiche.

However all is not lost. Even though the US dealers don't show what hose to use, the European dealers do. See this for example. The 59731-32C00 hose is readily available here.

Go figure.

P.S. I had a related problem with the reservoir bracket. When the recall was announced I realized that the bracket was being replaced and that Suzuki would probably want it. But it worked correctly with the Brembo RCS on the bike so I didn't want to give it up. It was already unavailable through my local dealer but they found one in Denver and I bought it from them. As a result of an ongoing dispute with Suzuki over the recall process, I still have the OEM MC as well as the additional bracket.
What about the resevoir hose? LOL

Yeah, for ~$52 shipped to the US, I'll probably go with the something I've already pictured.
But thank you for all your diligence in helping so many people with their Suzuki's!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all,
After calling around this morning to various auto parts, I mostly got the usual, oh, fuel line will work, it'll work on antifreeze and oil too!
I did get a Napa guy to tell me, no, not rated for brake fluid.

I just ordered the clear one, that I now will work.

Now I have to get it where it won't rub thru the hose again.
Glad I dodged that bullet. Brake fluid on the fairings would not have been good!

·
Registered
302 Posts
"got the usual, oh, fuel line will work, it'll work on antifreeze and oil too"
That's an idiot. Here's from the abstract of an SAE paper:
The purity of the brake fluid is one of the most vital factor and incompatibility of the rubber hose with brake fluid causes contamination of the brake fluid. This intern can cause shrinkage / swelling of master, slave cylinder rubber seals. The change in the dimensional of the rubber seals directly affects the performance of the brake system.
A common recommendation is that EPDM hose be used. I needed a new front hose when I installed my RCS and found a Ducati rear hose, 877.1.050.1A, that did the job. Tygon 2075 will work. I'm not familiar with 2375. The key issue is that it doesn't have any plasticizers.

P.S. Don't know about shipping but McMaster has 2375 for around $2/ft, depending on size.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured for the time I would be spending trying to find the right hose, fuel getting there/back, etc., I just ordered the one I posted. Shipping included with Amazon Prime. It'll be here tomorrow! I think the specs said the 2375 supercedes the 2075.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got that new reservoir hose on/ together, bled the brakes.

Still waiting on my ECU fro TX. Should be here this week fur shur.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts