Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I had like an hour long ride (with out traffic) a head of me today in the hottest day of the year so far for NJ. It was about 90, nothing major usually, bike never got much over 220 no trouble lights no smells, bad noises or anything. Traffic starts to suck real bad (over on 676 in Philly) and Im in pretty much stop and go for about 45 mins, still no signs of trouble on the temp gauge or any where else. I get out of the traffic and start over the bridge back into NJ moving at about 45mph and the bike sputtered a few times as if I was low on fuel(100% sure I was not low on fuel). I kicked it up and down a gear listened close and didnt hear or see anything bad. Sputters again, worse, acts like it wants to stall, I pull the clutch in and try to keep it running as I move to the right, couldnt pull over still on the bridge. As soon as I pull in the clutch it shuts off. Coast over the bridge, attempt to start it 5 times or so and no luck. Cranks like its supposed to but doesnt turn over. Check the fuel and oil level, good, temp good. Was in a bad spot to rip anything apart so I call my girl and tell her to bring me my truck. As she pulls up I decide to try and start it again and it works. Get it home, starts right up. Ride it around my house for 10 mins or so, everything seamed good. Pulled a few things apart checked plugs for PC3 things like that.

Im kinda just venting and kinda just wondering what some of the other experienced riders would do in this case? Write it off as a rare mess up? Certain things you would check? Take it into the shop? I have a bike trip planned in 3 weeks with my friends so I dont wanna risk anything serious.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Bike: 2005 GSXR 1000
Mods: Yosh slip on, BMC race, Ivans TRE, PC3(Custom Map)

·
Registered
862 Posts
seems like a overheat..
i'd prob not worry about it unless it happens again.. but check your oils condition. Kind of wierd it shouldn't happen.. esp if it doesn't get over 220. Did you fans come on when they should of?

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a couple of times it got over 220 but not much over it and not for long. As for the fans, I know its stupid of me but Im not sure. I was with a very loud harley so I didnt hear the second one kick on like I normally would, but I did notice the temp rising and falling like it usually does so I didnt think much of it. I have the had the bike in traffic on days that were more hot with no problems but not for so long, and not with out shutting it off for a few mins here and there.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt winterize it or store it, I still pulled it out on random warm days things like that. Been out a lot lately tho, its DEF not the same gas that was in there all winter or anything like that. Changed the oil once since winter too.

Just had it out for about a half hour. Figured Id give it a shot. Ran fine, no lights, no tapping, knocks, smells, stutter, or anything unusual. Took to a highway so I could hold it at about the same speed as when it shut down, accelerated hard road it like I would as if nothing happened and... it was fine. I dont know. Ill keep my eye on it tomorrow I guess on the way to work and take it from there.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

I cant take knowin somethings wrong with her, lol. So I did an oil change just to check the quality of the oil, didnt appear to be broken down, wasnt foamy and smelled like it should. Took her back out for about an hour and all seamed well. I'm real nervous though this is the 1st vehicle Ive ever financed even all my project cars were bought cash, and while I almost have her paid off, she feels new and important to me still, lol. I would hate for it be something serious.

blah Im done crying now, you guys are good listeners, lol :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
You weren't overheating by your description of the temperatures, but it could have been a vapor lock in the fuel system, which is rare on these bikes but it can happen on a really hot day. Sympton - fuel starvation, unable to restart, and a successful restart when cold, then normal riding.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You weren't overheating by your description of the temperatures, but it could have been a vapor lock in the fuel system, which is rare on these bikes but it can happen on a really hot day. Sympton - fuel starvation, unable to restart, and a successful restart when cold, then normal riding.
I thought something like that... I have an after market keyless vortex gas gap and when I stopped and opened it up to ensure that I had as much fuel as I thought I did there was a lot of noise, more then usual out of the tank. I dont know if that usually happens when you have vapor lock, but one of the many things I looked up when I got home was info on the stock gas cap, like to see if it was vented like it is on cars or something and this new one is not. You about summed it up tho with the symptoms you listed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That does sound a little similar to what happens to my bike. Execpt it has happened to me everytime I have taken it on a long ride. One time when i was going to seaside it stalled on me on the parkway, and there was no shoulder, scary shit. so if it were a vapor lock, how do u prevent that from happening in the future?

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
That does sound a little similar to what happens to my bike. Execpt it has happened to me everytime I have taken it on a long ride. One time when i was going to seaside it stalled on me on the parkway, and there was no shoulder, scary shit. so if it were a vapor lock, how do u prevent that from happening in the future?
Sometimes it can be a fuel pump problem, or a fuel filter problem. Any constriction in the fuel system can lead to a vapor lock.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Has the tank been off? Is the vent line open? Where is the power commander mounted? In the tail it should be ok just thinking about it getting heat soaked if it's mounted in a hot area.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didnt realize you were in NJ thats cool, once we get our shit straightend out we should ride, lol. What part?

Sometimes it can be a fuel pump problem, or a fuel filter problem. Any constriction in the fuel system can lead to a vapor lock.
Yeah I was thinkin your problem would have to be deeper routed then what I think mine is because mine happened once. Road it for about 45mins today and no problems. I have to work the next few days wont have a chance to ride it for a while for the next few days.

Has the tank been off? Is the vent line open? Where is the power commander mounted? In the tail it should be ok just thinking about it getting heat soaked if it's mounted in a hot area.
Are PCs open or closed loops? Like I thought if for some reason a PC failed the bike would operate like normal? I mean I still checked my PC and its connections when this happened... but any way to answer your question yes mine is mounted in the tail.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im originally from old bridge NJ, I live in upstate NY now, bout an hour out of jerz, but I got alot of friends and family in jerzey so i often ride there.

But as far as the problem, vapor lock got me thinking that it could actually be it, so im going to take the gas cap off and see if everything is ok. Especially since no codes are being thrown.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the fuel filter swapped last year, that was the first thing that i changed when the problems started happening. And as far as the fuel pump, it wouldnt be happening as consistently as it does. If it were the fuel pump then wouldnt it happen at any time? Not just into long rides.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let me know how you make out man... Im curious. I took mine out for about an hour today and beat it like I stole it with no problems. It wasnt quite as hot like that last time but I wanted to ride the balls off it for a lil to see if it would happen again, and thankfully mine seams to be just that once, I wont sweat it much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.