·
Super Moderator
8,897 Posts
Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tested the battery, all was in spec, at 5k had 14.9v. Did a fuel flow test, got 200ml in 10 seconds (turned key on 3 times to prime pump). Still currently looking for a donor bike to check ECM, cant see anything wrong with the wires anywhere.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That fuel flow is wrong. Should yield more than that. Your oem pump should yield around 400 ml /10 secs with no filter on. There's an error in the manual.

Your high pressure filter is blocked.

·
Registered
541 Posts
OEM manual: 168mL or more in 10 seconds
Lots of people around say that is a ridiculous claim. That value is probably enough to get the bike runny but no where near to approaching redline.

I got similar results from my pump too but that's not enough. Even though I cleaned my filter you can never get a good flow.

Buy a new filter or do a Bypass.

The engine is probably running lean too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Lots of people around say that is a ridiculous claim. That value is probably enough to get the bike runny but no where near to approaching redline.

I got similar results from my pump too but that's not enough. Even though I cleaned my filter you can never get a good flow.

Buy a new filter or do a Bypass.

The engine is probably running lean too.
I'll look into a new filter! I appreciate it. I'll post back with results!

·
Super Moderator
8,897 Posts
Actually 168ml / 10 seconds is about 150% of the fuel required by my math.

Using a specific fuel consumption of 0.45 lbs/hr/hp of fuel and 120 hp, I come up with 96 ml/10sec.

I think I got the math right.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Absolutely NOT questioning this cause I am way out of my league but should the efficiency of the power plant be included in the formula? I have no idea what the losses in our engine would be. Like I said, not questioning more just wanting to learn something, it is a great formula. I am guessing aircraft range calculations once you divide out by fuel capacity?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
It's about 5.5 ounces in 10 seconds.... If it actually consumed that, you'd burn through the enitre tank in less than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Some great minds diagnosing this!

When I read thru the OP, you lost me at 'rust in the tank'

With the help here, you'll get it fixed in no time!

Good luck, stay safe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Some great minds diagnosing this!

When I read thru the OP, you lost me at 'rust in the tank'

With the help here, you'll get it fixed in no time!

Good luck, stay safe
How do you think I feel, I'm lost in the sauce with this haha but I am definitely appreciating all the help! My last bike gave me nearly no problems

·
Super Moderator
8,897 Posts
Yes, the 0.46lb of gasoline/horsepower/hour is from my aviation stuff. It is a pretty good figure from Lycoming piston engines. I'm sure the GSXR engine is more efficient, but I was looking for the higher reasonable consumption number.

I found this chart if you are interested in how other engines do. It is about a third of the way down the page.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Cool, love that stuff. Thanks John. Nice of me to jack this guy's thread eh? Sorry 901. We will get back to fixing your bike now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Actually 168ml / 10 seconds is about 150% of the fuel required by my math.

Using a specific fuel consumption of 0.45 lbs/hr/hp of fuel and 120 hp, I come up with 96 ml/10sec.

I think I got the math right.
Just curious how you got that value.

Alot of people who had the same problem with the fuel pump agreed that what was stated in the manual was "out to lunch".

Even the folks at Vstrom.info had 200 ml / 10sec & did a filter bypass & fixed their issue. You can read it in the link I posted about the bypass.

Do you think that value accounts for cruising fuel consumption or when you whack that throttle hard??

·
Super Moderator
8,897 Posts
Just curious how you got that value.
I linked specific fuel consumption for a list of gasoline engines above. I picked 0.46lb/hr as it not a particularly efficient number so the fuel requirement is higher. I also used 120hp. Then just did the math to convert to ml/10 seconds.

0.45 lbs/hr/hp * 120 hp = 54 lbs/hr.

At about 6lbs/gal that = 9 gph

9 gal = 34 L/hr / 60 = .568L/min / 6 = .0946L / 10 sec or about 95ml/10 sec fuel requirement at 120 hp.

To maintain the right pressure in the system at full flow, I can see a 50% margin.

No doubt the pumps can put out a lot more and why they say minimum.

·
Super Moderator
8,897 Posts
Wouldn't a propeller driven aircraft be much less efficient than a wheel driven vehicle?
I am just talking about the energy out vs the fuel in on a piston engine.

You are bringing up how that power is converted to work.

Actually, a modern propeller at cruise is about 90% efficient. Think about it, there is no transmission or drive train to lose energy.

Reactions: Winchester Boy

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I’m pretty sure my k7 600’s pump pushed 300ml in 10 seconds. I tested it once just for the fun of it whilst I was wrenching on the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Update time: I didnt fix it, ended up selling it and got an 07 ZX6R instead, told the guy if he fixed it to let me know what the problem was. Thanks for all the help while it was given, great community!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts