Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Incredible as it sounds, my frame broke at the neck as I was very slowly entering a corner going downhill very near the top of the inland side of ca highway 9. Why it happened when I was going the speed limit, and not 15 minutes earlier when we were doing 135+ on skyline Blvd is beyond me. For that matter, why didn't it happen when we were leaned over at 150+ on the sweepers near the end of 84 earlier that day?? Feels like I should be dead. Having said that, I'm fKn pissed; this bike was my car and my pride and joy, and she nearly killed me.

I guess I'll try and get Suzuki to replace the frame, but don't think there's a chance in hell they will, I've only heard about the recall on the k5 and k6 1000's. And now I'm super sketchy about putting it in a used frame. Bike had 71k btw; still ripped. They last forever if you just maintain them... Until the frame falls apart, apparently 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃槶

Attachments

Registered
HOLY SHIT ! ! ! You ARE lucky to be alive... Make me want to go out and check all the welds on my frame... Glad you're ok...

Registered
As glad as I am your not dead, I can tell you from working at dealership especially through the 05/06 GSXR 1000 frame recall, Suzuki most likely will not replace yours. They refused to replace most of the frames that were brought to us. There was usually undoubtable proof that they had been wheelied which caused frame fatigue and the welds to break. I'm not saying don't try, but the inspectors they sent us were very good and very thorough as are we. I would suspect they will either accuse you of wheelies or aggressive riding causing the failure.

Registered
Glad you are relatively OK!

If a GSXR can't be wheelied and ridden aggressively w/o chance of the frame breaking,
Then there is a design flaw.

Put it all over social media, local/regional/natl. news, etc.

Good luck brother- nice 1st post btw!

Premium Member
Well that sucks.

You are not the first and probably not the last. As mentioned earlier, most have been the result of a rough life with wheelies slammed down hard or a previous significant accident.

It seems that the crack begins at the bottom of the weld on the inside and progresses up. At some point it should be easily visible on the outside long before the total failure you experienced.

The good part is that the area is wide open on the outside and easy to check if you just look.

Registered
You think a suzuki fram:0e is crap? just look at a zx10r frame.
no wheelies
breaks anyway
In the quest to save weight the big 4 have sacrificed quality'
welcome to 2020

Registered
Wow. Absolutely terrifying. Glad you are ok.

Suzuki really pared these bikes down to the bone in an effort to save weight. Seems they went too far with the frames. I understand why you would be sketchy about putting a used frame in. You could perhaps have a used frame professionally inspected and strengthened prior to fitting though.

Premium Member
Glad you鈥檙e ok.
I鈥檓 not good at wheelies so I don鈥檛 do it.
I鈥檝e seen many people who have to jerk the front end up 2 or 3 feet and then let it slam down and that has to be incredibly hard on everything.

Registered
If you have an 04/05 less than liter bike, don't worry. These frames are tough. Do some fail? Yes. Do some fail even with no abuse? Yes. Is it rare? Extremely!

Put a new frame on it, or part it out.

After seeing the K5-1K failures, it's just a poor design overall. Welding cast to extrusion can be done, but has to be done right. For a production race motorcycle, just not a good idea. I always thought they should have cast the front of the neck differently. Then instead of the spars being separate pieces and welded on, make them one piece and wrap it all the way around the front and weld it in. That strap around the front would make the whole system much stronger and wouldn't add any weight.

Registered
What Suzuki told me when they approved one of the frames to be replaced was that the weld locations weren't necessarily the issue (like previous years) but, that there were bubbles/pockets in the welds themselves which caused the failure which was induced by stress.

Registered
What Suzuki told me when they approved one of the frames to be replaced was that the weld locations weren't necessarily the issue (like previous years) but, that there were bubbles/pockets in the welds themselves which caused the failure which was induced by stress.
One might think that a small operation like Suzuki might (just maybe) X-Ray their welds, checking for things like porosity, and penetration issues.
I will stick with the old skool Suzi's that were still built strong.
Sacrificing strength for weight reduction is just plain stupid...

Registered
There's heat treatment to the frame? I doubt it.
Cast metals need to be baked for a few hours, a couple of times. How many times, depends on the type, and quality of the metal... Cast is also very difficult to weld properly... Cast aluminum, is lighter, and cheaper, but not nearly as strong as extruded aluminum tubing. This thread has clinch it for me, that I'll NEVER buy a GSXR newer than a K2... Just the fact that it CAN happen is enough not to buy one...

Registered
Purchasing a used K1-K3 model is russioan roulette as well. These frames are notorious for "tucking" at the neck after a slight impact. Computrac has made a great living off of this fact.
I myself have made the mistake of buying one without properly inspecting the "rake" of the front end. Any slight impact to the front of that model will result in a totalled frame.
I usually dont entertain buying that model either, its too much of a roll of the dice.
The 04 05 gsxr 600 seems pretty solid to me like chuck stated, so these pictures are a surprise to me as well. Ive had about 6 of them and never saw one defect.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well work is starting to pick up for me again, so it seems I have a fighting chance of getting her back together before the end of the month. I'll be dropping the motor and splitting the cases tomorrow (sixth gear broke a few months ago...).

I already know what's going to happen when I show Suzuki only the frame and pictures, but hey, gotta try anyways. In the meantime I can't wait on them, so I'll be ordering a used frame this weekend; probably buy one with a bill of sale and try the Vermont registration route. Or just keep it under my old reg lol. I won't feel safe without having it gusseted or otherwise reinforced, however; apparently this is a relatively common thing to do for stunters? Guess I'll be finding out.

I actually halfway considered converting it into a streetfighter/stunter, but sanity won out; wheelies may be fun, but dragging knee (and not wrecking from dragging cage) is more fun...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts