Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

have an 05 1K and wanting to do an LED headlight setup. It’s got the OEM dust caps (I find the design to be strange) that go from a female plug (outside) to some weird male-ish plug on the inside that requires a short pigtail from that to the bulb (which I do not have).
Question is, can the 07 and up dust covers be used onthe 05/06 headlamp housing? If not, does anyone know if there’s any way to make an LED bulb work with the aforementioned dust caps?
Photos attached for reference. The bike came with HIDs, hence the holes cut through the caps. If you’re wondering why I removed the HIDs, it’s because the forks were rubbing on the ballasts due to location they adhered them. Presumably there’s a newer slim ballast but I’m not going back to HID. Any help appreciated.
Font Auto part Parallel Circle Engineering

Hand Finger Camera lens Thumb Cameras & optics

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Road surface Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Wood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh! A hack has been at work and his/her efforts need to be undone. That means buying both back covers. Both lock into the headlight housing with O-ring seals to keep dust and moisture out of the headlight housing. They are entirely different than the K7 covers.

For the high beam I suggest using a 9011 HIR as is sold here. Except for some minor trimming of the bulb's base, it drops in. Beware of the manufacturer as some 9011's are not real HIR. Candlepower's are by Phillips. I see that Toshiba HIR's are still being sold on ebay. Note the space ship shape. They were originally were made in Japan and popularized HIR. But the P.R.C. marking means that they're now coming from China. Hopefully they're the same. I have a Toshiba on my K6 and it produces a blast of light with no beam pattern problems that you're likely to have with LEDs.

I converted my low beam to HID many years ago. It's beam pattern isn't as tight as the OEM but is good enough and I suspect is much better than LED. However, unlike your hack, I did a competent conversion job with no fork rubbing. I have some pics that show the result if you're interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Correction - it’s the upper fork clamp that was rubbing and I never noticed it until I took the bike to the track. In all reality it only rubbed at low speeds (obviously not turning the forks at high speed) but it was enough to say this trash gotta go. I’ll check out that high beam and thanks for the intel on the trash Chinese Knock offs. I’m a staunch supporter of American and quality made products. The local bike shop said they have a PIAA H7 bulb that’s supposedly noticeably brighter but it’s $60 - pretty steep for a bulb.

it’s good to see people still use the forums. I boycotted the big tech oligarchs s year ago. It feels good to be back old school.

Anywho, yes I’d like to see your pics. Feel free to post here or PM me. Thanks man!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clean setup. Thanks for sharing. Still waiting on new caps and will decide on what type of light from there. Don’t do much night riding so may just keep it simple snd go with stock bulbs.
Thanks again for all your help, brother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts