Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip and my bike wont start. It shoukd be noted that i have 50k miles on this bike, but its never given me any real issues and i have taken good care of it. The ignition/key interface has unfortunstely worn to the point where i can now remove the key while in the "on" position, with the bike still running. The problem here is that its easy to inadvertantly park the bike unaware that the lights are on. As a result, my battery was drained way down (i could barely see an orange glow in the instrument cluster backlighting, w/no data visible at all) I initially tried to bump start it down a steep decline, but no luck. Next i tried to jump start it with jumper cables connected to a non-running (that is to say the engine was powered off) minivan. This enabled the bike's starter motor to turn over no problem. Fuel pump primed and cluster fully illuminated. The only problem is that the engine would not start. I put a gallon of 93 octane in the tank since the fuel light was blinking (but not solid). Im hoping somebody here can tell me if it could just be my battery or is it a fuel issue (like clogged injectors from the small amt of fuel that i had in there when i left it to sit for 2 1/2 weeks). I am open to other suggestions as well. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I would begin with a battery charge and voltage check to see if the battery is any good. It's been my experience that they don't always recover from a complete discharge.

·
Premium Member
8,361 Posts
I would begin with a battery charge and voltage check to see if the battery is any good. It's been my experience that they don't always recover from a complete discharge.
^What he said. Don't borrow problems. Start with a new battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the quick response for starters, thanks. As for the battery theory, i swapped mine out with a brand new AGM that showed 13.4v on my multi. Starter turned over like a champ but still zilch as far as combustion goes, not even a cough. Seems like its got to be something simple, like a disco'd connector or vacuum hose, but everything appears to be in tact under the tank. I keep leaning fearfully toward a fuel delivery issue, and i say "fearfully" because clogged injectors arent a 5 minute fix. I know it started perfectly last time i touched it just over two weeks ago, could that be enough time to laquer up the jets?

·
SuperMod of the North
24,947 Posts
I don't think a couple weeks is enough to foul up the injectors...even if it did it isn't likely to completely take out all four. I am leaning towards your safety circuit...Kill switch and tip over sensor I think, IIRC the kickstand switch and clutch switch both kill the starter so they are likely made. If one of the Gurus wants to verify that it would be great.

·
Registered
302 Posts
First, check your fuses. Next, put some gas (a couple cc's per cylinder) down the throttle bores to see if it will briefly run. That would tell you if it's a fuel delivery problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really good idea! Thank you for your reply, now we're getting somewhere. So, with the "throttle bores", are you taking about the little hoses on the backside of the TBs? What's the proven manual delivery method of fuel to the cylinder? In other words, could you give me a bit more detail? I've done that sort of thing to carbeurators using raw gas or a can of starting fluid, but i am less clear of the approach to throttle body/fuel inj. system.

·
Premium Member
8,361 Posts
As Tinsnips posited, it is unlikely to be a bad fuel issue after only sitting a few weeks.

You said the fuel pump is "priming", confirm that it is running continuously when you press the starter button. Put your ear to the tank if you need to.

If the pump is running, pull the air box top and spray a little starter fluid in one of the throttlebodies and see if it fires off for a bit. If it does not, the next thing would be to check for spark.

·
Registered
302 Posts
"So, with the "throttle bores", are you taking about the little hoses on the backside of the TBs? What's the proven manual delivery method of fuel to the cylinder?"
Not the hoses. Just open up the airbox and dribble some into the bores. I have syringes for things like that but other things will work. Just don't slop too much into the bore or you could have a hydraulic lock. Many people use starting fluid but it's ether with a very low octane rating so I avoid it (I may be nuts there). A car mechanic who I respect sprays carb cleaner into the carb while cranking.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I appreciate the quick response for starters, thanks. As for the battery theory, i swapped mine out with a brand new AGM that showed 13.4v on my multi. Starter turned over like a champ but still zilch as far as combustion goes, not even a cough. Seems like its got to be something simple, like a disco'd connector or vacuum hose, but everything appears to be in tact under the tank. I keep leaning fearfully toward a fuel delivery issue, and i say "fearfully" because clogged injectors arent a 5 minute fix. I know it started perfectly last time i touched it just over two weeks ago, could that be enough time to laquer up the jets?
You're welcome, and the new info is why I was careful to use the word "begin". It's good to see the big guns on the scene to help as I knew they would be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip and my bike wont start. It shoukd be noted that i have 50k miles on this bike, but its never given me any real issues and i have taken good care of it. The ignition/key interface has unfortunstely worn to the point where i can now remove the key while in the "on" position, with the bike still running. The problem here is that its easy to inadvertantly park the bike unaware that the lights are on. As a result, my battery was drained way down (i could barely see an orange glow in the instrument cluster backlighting, w/no data visible at all) I initially tried to bump start it down a steep decline, but no luck. Next i tried to jump start it with jumper cables connected to a non-running (that is to say the engine was powered off) minivan. This enabled the bike's starter motor to turn over no problem. Fuel pump primed and cluster fully illuminated. The only problem is that the engine would not start. I put a gallon of 93 octane in the tank since the fuel light was blinking (but not solid). Im hoping somebody here can tell me if it could just be my battery or is it a fuel issue (like clogged injectors from the small amt of fuel that i had in there when i left it to sit for 2 1/2 weeks). I am open to other suggestions as well. Thoughts?
make sure your battery have enough amps to,crank your bike not volts have it check

1 - 11 of 11 Posts