Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Gsxr 1000 36k miles. So for approximately several weeks I been hearing a tic from my engine while I ride. I know 1000s Engines can be a little noisy Naturally and brushed it off at first but it has been progressively getting louder. Initially it sounded more like a ark from a broken coil wire from a car more than say a clatter but as it got louder I started thinking I really need a valve adjustment and today it was loud enuff while riding I started to suspect a slight engine knock It get louder as I apply torque to the engine today was the first day I noticed it was doing it at idle also. The engine acts perfect I must say if it was not for the noise I would have no issues there’s no other indications of anything wrong but a noise. So I ran it by my local mom and pop bike shop I recently found that I used To do my fork seals about a month ago. I asked can I borrow your ears for a second I think I got a possible major issue or need a valve adjustment pretty bad. and the poor guy is swamped he’s in there by him self Working on a bike and people are Dropping bikes off for repair and now I’m bugging him but he comes out I start it and he laughs and I look Confused for a second He said I don’t hear anything but a little chain slap and shuts it off I start it back up put a little torque on the motor and say listen to it again please. He says you need a chain tensioner it’s a 50-60$ part no big deal. You may be due for a valve adjustment but the noise is no big deal it’s only a chain tensioner order a manual one. I am kind of relived but also skeptical . I’d like to hear some one else’s opinion maybe and I’d like to know does anyone recommend A brand of timing chain tensioner in here?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Interesting you asked, I had an extra NEW MCCT I just sold over on Gixxer.com a few weeks ago.
I had 2 b/c I had 2 K5 LiterBikes, and sold one before I put it on that one.

I installed one on my current K5 Liter.

I got them off Ebay.

Here is my thread on my MCCT install.

In a nutshell- no need to even take the valve cover off the motor to install one properly.
Plugs should come out. Take off the Crankshaft inspection cover on the Right side.
That way when you're done with the install and you think you have it snug enough,
You can turn over the motor easily by turning the nut head on the end of the crank.
When turning it easily, if it hits resistance- you're probably hitting at least one valve on a piston b/c it jumped valve timing. Taking the top end apart will fix the timing jump, w/o doing catastrophic damage to the motor.
* It is actually hard/not common to jump timing simply from changing the CCT, oem or MCCT.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting you asked, I had an extra NEW MCCT I just sold over on Gixxer.com a few weeks ago.
I had 2 b/c I had 2 K5 LiterBikes, and sold one before I put it on that one.

I installed one on my current K5 Liter.

I got them off Ebay.

Here is my thread on my MCCT install.

In a nutshell- no need to even take the valve cover off the motor to install one properly.
Plugs should come out. Take off the Crankshaft inspection cover on the Right side.
That way when you're done with the install and you think you have it snug enough,
You can turn over the motor easily by turning the nut head on the end of the crank.
When turning it easily, if it hits resistance- you're probably hitting at least one valve on a piston b/c it jumped valve timing. Taking the top end apart will fix the timing jump, w/o doing catastrophic damage to the motor.
* It is actually hard/not common to jump timing simply from changing the CCT, oem or MCCT.
Thank you for the info. The mechanic recommended ordering a manual, after reading your other thread I’m considering ordering a oem after what a few others wrote. I don’t want to have too mess with it again for a while after instal 3000 miles is Only one oil change and a manual will require adjusting again? I appreciate your time and I may still go with a manual tensioner I need to make up my mind I really wish I could just find one in stock local and pick up the part so I can get the job over with

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I remember reading at least one post that someone said they tighten there's every oil change.
Not sure why exactly. I don't. I did put a little more tension on it while I was doing something to the bike. Oh yeah, I put in in dealers mode with a paperclip and was checking for codes- had none. I did adjust my TPS position though. I had never checked it.
You can git to it easily by just lifting the gas tank.

It's not like you have a MCCT, it always needs adjustment. That wouldn't make much sense really, if it were true, we'd be stretching and replacing cam chains all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts