Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple of mentions of doing this, raising the fork tubes and putting the clipons above the top triple clamp.
Just for the heck of it, I went ahead and did it on our '06. I've been messing around with handlebar-raising schemes to accommodate my mature neckbones and this deserved a try.
So here's a picture. I raised the tubes 7/8", for reference. There was plenty of non-tapered tube to work with. I calculated clearances of full-compression without actually doing full compression in the garage and it seemed close but doable.
I rode the bike about 60 miles after doing it, but since I was struggling with the bike's chronic overheating issue, the bars were less of a thing. I did hit some good potholes at 60-ish with no contact between the fender and anything.
In any event, it turned out fine and worked well enough.
A couple of other notes about things visible in the picture: that blue band on the throttle grip is a "Big Ass Rubber Band" silicone band from Amazon. Slip it over the brake lever and you have a fast, efficient, easy parking brake. Better than parking in gear. Especially handy if you park your bike on a dolly, or, heaven forbid, have to pick it up after a drop and need to lock a brake (Have not tried this option!)
Also, the mirrors are on extender plates I cut out of 1/4" aluminum. They help a little in terms of seeing beyond the elbows. They also make track day prep faster: just unbolt the mirrors from the plates and disconnect the electricals.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yep, mine are still this way on my Liter Bike since this post:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
So when you do trackdays, do you move the forks back down? The k6 geometry really likes being higher up. Fork extensions are pretty common to raise the front beyond factory. Having yours down that far probably isn't so good at the track.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Instead of lowering the the front end, why not just buy some riser clipons? Then you get your more upright seating position without messing up the bikes geometry and handling characteristics.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Just rode again on some spirited twisties yesterday.
The tuning guides for the K5/6 Liter say to push the stock fork tubes thru the upper triple at least 6-8mm.
Yes it lowers the front a bit.
I didn't want to spend the money for a quality set of riser clipons, so I did it this way.
I guess I'm just glad that all that 'messing up the geometry and handling characteristics' still enables to hang with some really fast riders in my area out on the country twisties. Thanks for the concerns though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just rode again on some spirited twisties yesterday.
The tuning guides for the K5/6 Liter say to push the stock fork tubes thru the upper triple at least 6-8mm.
Yes it lowers the front a bit.
I didn't want to spend the money for a quality set of riser clipons, so I did it this way.
I guess I'm just glad that all that 'messing up the geometry and handling characteristics' still enables to hang with some really fast riders in my area out on the country twisties. Thanks for the concerns though.
Glad it worked for you and feels good to you when riding. How it feels for you is what matters right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts