Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any pointers in the rigtht direction. Bike started having issues with battery dying. I diagnosed the Stator/Rectifier were bad and replaced both. Bike ran for a ride (60-90 mins some highway some side streets) but then had a "click". I put the bike away for the winter (last year) This year got back to it and round the chain had a tight spot so gave a little more slack and took it back out for a spin. (another 70 min ride) Stopped and filled the tank, it was pretty low. Near the end of this ride the bike started to have some sputter/hesitation, so I just brought it home, let it sit overnight and then just tried to take it out. Started fine, idled fine, but once I took off I could feel the sputter again. Thought maybe it's the electrical system.
Did the stator test no load and got 70V across all 3 pin combos. Also voltage at the battery was just above 14.2V when at 5k rpm. Tried the coil resistance test but my meter didn't seem to work for that.... and decided I didn't want to rip the airbox out as the stator and regulated voltage seemed fine so far. Is there something else that would potentially cause this? I did do a "high speed" run right before it started acting funny so maybe that stressed something that hadn't been, though I had hit speed before as well and no issue.
Bike 2007 GSXR 750 ~18k miles

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your charge voltage is fine at 14.2 v so that is not the issue. I'm assuming the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Stuttering can have lots of causes from spark plugs and coils to injectors. When was the last time the spark plugs were checked/changed and the coils inspected.

Just a guess, but since the bike has been sitting quite a bit, put in some fuel injector cleaner and see if that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check the fuel pump/filter. Make sure you're getting the required volume of fuel by measuring the quantity of fuel pumped into a container per X seconds (actual figures in the manual). Majority of my sputtering/hesitations issues have all been fuel delivery related.

·
Mod of the North
30,149 Posts
Likely wrong but...loose or weak side stand springs cutting power momentarily?

·
Banned
27 Posts
Have same bike… Had two sputtering issues since owning the bike…
1st was excessive play at the kick stand would engage the kill switch during aggressive rides or over rough roads, use a bungee cord to fasten it securely, or grab a pair of pliers and bend up the kill switch tab on the kick stand.
2nd issue was my butterfly valves/throttle body were not fully opening during hard acceleration which started happing after frying a rectifier. Ended just removing the butterflies, haven’t noticed a difference in performance. They are located under the air box. Remove air box to expose throttle body and while bike is in running in neutral rev engine to red line and check if butterflies open fully, if they don’t there’s your culprit. Has to do with stva needs replacing, I just unscrewed the butterflies and removed them and was done with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts