Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a common question and many people have different opinions but please just tell me YES or NO.

Can I go from a 190 (stock) to 200 on my rear?

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
There is no yes or no, the answer is "that depends".

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Could you/someone get it to fit your rim? Probably yes

I ask, why?

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
Just want a wider tyre without buying a kit and still be safe and look good
If looking good is the criteria, and that blows your skirt up, go for it. Safety is relative.

·
Premium Member
8,217 Posts
...I said SAFE and still look good.
You're riding a motorcycle, as I said, safety is relative. Or SAFETY is relative.

Of course you could just park it at Starbucks with the LEDs on and a 200 with big chicken strips. Now that would be SAFE! :grin

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know this is a common question and many people have different opinions but please just tell me YES or NO.

Can I go from a 190 (stock) to 200 on my rear?
If your rim is 6” wide then yes. It will raise the rear of the bike a bit and makes side to side steering a little slower. You have less options for tires at a higher price. You’ll have a little more contact patch for traction.

I actually took my 200 of mr Yamaha R1M and put the 190 on that the regular R1 uses. For how I ride I like that much better. Some guys put the 180 from the 190 for same reason.
What’s your reasons to want it?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can you, yes, should you, maybe. You might just be better off lowering the air pressure 10 psi so it'll look fatter if your not doing anymore than just riding for coffee and girls. Of course it will wear out faster, and you won't be able to turn as easily, but you'll have more traction... Tires are not really something you want to go around changing just because of looks. You set them up for a specific purpose and they are designed for that specific purpose at a specific pressure... I mean if you want a fat tire just spend about 6 grand for the single side 300 wide tire kit :grin:wink:devil

Can you do it, yes.
Would I do it, probably not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you, yes, should you, maybe. You might just be better off lowering the air pressure 10 psi so it'll look fatter if your not doing anymore than just riding for coffee and girls. Of course it will wear out faster, and you won't be able to turn as easily, but you'll have more traction... Tires are not really something you want to go around changing just because of looks. You set them up for a specific purpose and they are designed for that specific purpose at a specific pressure... I mean if you want a fat tire just spend about 6 grand for the single side 300 wide tire kit /images/GSXR_toucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png/images/GSXR_toucan/smilies/tango_face_wink.png/images/GSXR_toucan/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

Can you do it, yes.
Would I do it, probably not.
Thank you. I didn’t want to spend money on a kit so I wanted to push the envelope and go with my maximum and still be safe and look good. Of course I’d rather be safe.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If you want safe and look good,
then stick with the 190/50 tire.

That being said, I'm running 190/55's on one of my K5 Liters now. A little taller, makes it seem the gearing is a little longer. The -1/+1 works out about the same that way.

YMMV

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thank you. I didn’t want to spend money on a kit so I wanted to push the envelope and go with my maximum and still be safe and look good. Of course I’d rather be safe.
Yeah, I've got 190/50 on My Busa and the 180/55 on my 600. Pressure on the 190/50 is recommended to be 42 psi, but it flattens out when it drops to about 30 and grabs better. If your running 190/55 you can switch to the 190/50 which is a little bit flatter tire so It'll look wider just from having more contact patch. It will be a little slower on turn in, but you'll have better traction coming out of turns.

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,715 Posts
You can. It will change the profile of the carcass, which comes with an assortment of pros n cons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts