Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title says, my 1000 isn't tracking straight. Mainly on the highway. Thought maybe it was just the road I was on but ruled that out. So my first thought was maybe my rear axle isn't aligned correctly from the last time I tightened the chain. So rather than measure from the swingarm pivot I spent the 15 bucks and got a motion pro chain alignment too. And my chain was dead nuts so the rear wheel must be straight.

I'm reaching the end of my pirelli super corsa's life and I'm wondering if maybe the tires aren't worn evenly? I've had to ride within the speed limit lately(don't ask why) so on yhe highway I've been sittinf in a very upright position with just my hand on the throttle and body more to the right side so I'm wondering if maybe that did it.

Maybe my forks are slightly out of alignment and I need to loosen them up and given them a few good bounces to straighten them out again?

What are you guys thinking. Chain is also at the end of it's life and I'm replacing it and the sprockets next week.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The fact that you chain is aligned doesn't necessarily mean that your rear tire is aligned... I would measure your wheel alignment to be sure...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fact that you chain is aligned doesn't necessarily mean that your rear tire is aligned... I would measure your wheel alignment to be sure...
I mean, front sprocket is on the engine, and the engine is bolted into the frame. Rear sprocket is on the wheel hub flush with the rear wheel. So if the rear wheel wasn't straight that should be reflected in the chains alignment with the rear sprocket right?

That seems to be what's accepted by people more wise than I. I am going to measure tomorrow anyways. I'm leaning towards uneven tire wear as well. Also I just lifted up the cover quick yesterday and it looked dead on but even a degree or 2 could affect it so I'll look closer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Like spiderman said, If the chain is straight, in reality it only for sure means the the sprockets are lined up. Many other things could be out of whack so to speak.

When you're on a straight smooth road, and are cruising along and take your hands off the bars; what happens?
Are you having to lean one way of the other to keep the bike going in a straight line?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like spiderman said, If the chain is straight, in reality it only for sure means the the sprockets are lined up. Many other things could be out of whack so to speak.

When you're on a straight smooth road, and are cruising along and take your hands off the bars; what happens?
Are you having to lean one way of the other to keep the bike going in a straight line?
I know but generally speaking it is accepted that the rear axle must be straight as well if the rear sprocket is in line with the front. And it yes to keep it straight I have to lean to the right ever so slightly is seems. I have my hands off so often that I know what it is usually like. I think it's the tires though. Ive been forced to do a lot of straight line riding over the last 6 weeks and my super corsas have become a little flat in the center.

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
So like the title says, my 1000 isn't tracking straight. Mainly on the highway. Thought maybe it was just the road I was on but ruled that out. So my first thought was maybe my rear axle isn't aligned correctly from the last time I tightened the chain. So rather than measure from the swingarm pivot I spent the 15 bucks and got a motion pro chain alignment too. And my chain was dead nuts so the rear wheel must be straight.

I'm reaching the end of my pirelli super corsa's life and I'm wondering if maybe the tires aren't worn evenly? I've had to ride within the speed limit lately(don't ask why) so on yhe highway I've been sittinf in a very upright position with just my hand on the throttle and body more to the right side so I'm wondering if maybe that did it.

Maybe my forks are slightly out of alignment and I need to loosen them up and given them a few good bounces to straighten them out again?

What are you guys thinking. Chain is also at the end of it's life and I'm replacing it and the sprockets next week.
I mean, front sprocket is on the engine, and the engine is bolted into the frame. Rear sprocket is on the wheel hub flush with the rear wheel. So if the rear wheel wasn't straight that should be reflected in the chains alignment with the rear sprocket right?

That seems to be what's accepted by people more wise than I. I am going to measure tomorrow anyways. I'm leaning towards uneven tire wear as well. Also I just lifted up the cover quick yesterday and it looked dead on but even a degree or 2 could affect it so I'll look closer tomorrow.
I know but generally speaking it is accepted that the rear axle must be straight as well if the rear sprocket is in line with the front. And it yes to keep it straight I have to lean to the right ever so slightly is seems. I have my hands off so often that I know what it is usually like. I think it's the tires though. Ive been forced to do a lot of straight line riding over the last 6 weeks and my super corsas have become a little flat in the center.

If the bike has not been crashed and the chain is straight its your tires. Tires will cause strange handling gremlins to appear out of no where. So will tire pressure.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

This is was definitely the tires. Has gotten better as I've taken it on windy roads. Had only been riding in a straight line for the most part for a couple weeks do to my circumstances lol. Getting new tires in a couple weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts