Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently decided to do this mod since my K7 GSXR600 was cutting off due to the kickstand spring being worn. Would only happen high speeds when taking some bumpy corners or roads. I've seen another poll but they didn't have picture so I hope this can help someone. Please please solder the wires before heat wrapping. If not they will loosen over time and you will have a bad day at the very minimum.
Automotive tire Gas Cable Wire Auto part
Terrestrial plant Grass Composite material Fashion accessory Soil
Writing implement Office supplies Gas Paint Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

· Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,759 Posts
Also, there's a diode in that circuit to prevent a ground loop. When you're bypassing the switch in this manner you really should keep the diode. That being said, many have done just what you have and not reported issues.

· Registered
485 Posts
FWIW, the bike I have was chock full of uncleaned chain grease, and the stand did not retract easily. It was goop in the spring. Once removed and properly cleaned, it was free and normal function again.

Has the OP tried removing the spring and removing rust dirt and grease?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, but would a new spring not have been easier?

If your stand is bouncing around at speed. maybe that's someting to get fixed?
Yes I have another spring coming but it wasn't going to arrive before a this big bike meet. Plus I figure its best to do since I will be tracking the bike and others do it for the track.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, the bike I have was chock full of uncleaned chain grease, and the stand did not retract easily. It was goop in the spring. Once removed and properly cleaned, it was free and normal function again.

Has the OP tried removing the spring and removing rust dirt and grease?
I tried cleaning the spring first. The bike is a 07 so I figure that springs life was coming to an end at this point.

· Registered
869 Posts
The sidestand switch basically grounds a relay for the bikes ignition circuit under the seat. If you remove the relay and tape a jumper wire in its place you don't need the switch or wiring or diodes at all.

Come to think of it, this is on an 11+ bike though...

· Premium Member
2005 GSX-R600 Anniversary Edition
3,759 Posts
The diode is nowhere near the sidestand switch, it's normally somewhere near the starter relay, so you don't even need to think about that when bypassing the switch.
It's actually inside the switch. I know because I took mine apart and used that diode in my bypass. Not saying that's accurate for all models, but it was true for mine..... and is represented as such in the wiring diagrams for many models.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's actually inside the switch. I know because I took mine apart and used that diode in my bypass. Not saying that's accurate for all models, but it was true for mine..... and is represented as such in the wiring diagrams for many models.
I'll eventually get a real connector from Woodcraft for peace of mind but for now this has been working with no issues. I doubt my wiring will fail but you never know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts