Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that the springs on my kickstand are weak. When I go to put my bike in gear with the kickstand up, it almost always dies, because the switch isn't made completely. Sometimes I'll hold the kickstand up with my foot and use my right hand to slip it into first. For a few trips around the block it seemed to work fine until I could come up with a solution. Well today I went to ride the bike a little harder and realized that around 4500 rpm the bike would fall on its face and die. I could pull over and restart it and it would run fine until I reached @ 4500 again and same thing. Well something told me to check the kickstand switch, so with my foot I held the stand up and sure enough it would keep accelerating. So I guess this switch is going to be more of a pain in the ass than I had thought. Do you guys think the springs are weak on the stand? I know its not bent because the contact for the switch lines up perfectly. However when its in the upright position, it wont really hold the switch closed. Any ideas, or should I just short the wires together and be done with it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
take the switch off, cut the wires and soder them together problem solved other than you just have to make sure your kickstand is up before taking off i always have taken mine off just because really but its always been fine for me thats just my opinion and its cheaper than getting new springs or switch

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
if you are confident that you will remember to put your kickstand up everytime, then just jump the wires together. If not get a new switch on ebay for like 5 bucks.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
the switch could be bad, if the contacts are corroded (sp) then it might not be working properly. Unless somebody stretched your springs out for you, which I've never seen.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I guess I fixed it. I took the springs off (easy) and cut about 1/4" off of the end that hooks around and rebent it. Then put them back on (very hard) and the stand is pulled up like its supposed to now. Took about 45 min to cut them, bend them and reinstall, but now its working fine. This is how my luck works...lol.. If its never been seen before, in time it'll happen to me!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
well i'm glad you got it figured out. wonder how they go stretched out so much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
you were able to bend SPRING STEEL without it just breaking ????

have the same weak springs on my 2006 GSXR-1000

also i believe i need to take the stand off the bike and pinch the yoke on the stand together slightly so they fit the ear that sticks out on the side of the frame more tightly.

·
Registered
386 Posts
you were able to bend SPRING STEEL without it just breaking ????

have the same weak springs on my 2006 GSXR-1000

also i believe i need to take the stand off the bike and pinch the yoke on the stand together slightly so they fit the ear that sticks out on the side of the frame more tightly.
digging up old threads today huh.:0001136745-huh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.