Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so first off i wanna appologize for maken yet another damn wheelie post, but before you all hit the back button if you could help me out with any info it would be greatly appreciated. Ok so I went out and bought the sportbike this year, being it wasnt my first bike owning a couple cruisers such as shadows in the past I picked up the riding and cornering area of the bike fairly fast, but damn do i strugle with geting my front end up.

My budy took his R6 over last year cresting over a hill and he admited he had probally rushed his wheelies to quickly so I've taken it slow figureing i just need to deal with the learning curve or risk what he did. So about 2 months down the road and i still cant bring her up much higher then a foot or 2, From time to time i some how manage but nothing consistent. My technique is generaly to start out in 2nd gear get between 35 to 38 mph and one finger my clutch in tell it begins to slip a bit, i quick flick my wrist and release but seem to only come up a minimal hight. I at first figured well im not revn it high enough, so as i begin to take note of where i was revn it too i realized at times i nearly bounce it off my rev limiter in 2nd to bring it up which im guessing will have a catistrophic outcome if i ever hook a big one up and bounce it that hard. So can anyone explain to me what it is i may be doing wrong ? Am i not sliping the clutch quickly enough ? possibly not grabn enough throttle so that after its released it has the power to continue bringing it up ? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Put it in second, bring it up to about 8500 rpm's, slip the clutch a little and throttle it up at the same time. And don't be scared to jerk on the bars, hard if your on a 600, on the 1000 it's mainly throttle and a little clutch. Also going down 1 tooth on the front will help out alot in bringing the front up. I hate giving advice on stunts because if you're asking, you really should'nt be trying it. It really helps if you have a motocross background.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I agree

The thing that was hard for me (I'm still learning) is that its a two step process ...

1st step: Dip the clutch, throttle it up, release the clutch
2nd step: When the clutch is released give it a little more.

I play it by ear. The sound goes up as the throttle is increased. When the clutch its slipped out, I try to keep the noise kinda the same ... ya keep the rpms up. Don't look at the tach! Do it all by ear.

Like I said i'm no expert, but I'm hooken em up more regular now. And thats what I do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx

Thx for the reply's guys forgot to mention its an 05 600 my bad, I kinda figure the same that itll come up when i get good enough to do it. Yet at the same time i still want some kind of idea of what im doing with it so i dont mess it up when i do. I deffinently will try the given it a bit more throttle after the clutch is released i think thats where im haven the most trouble atm. Road 4 wheelers for years but a monkey could pop one of those up and of course its alot less expensive if you take one of those over. Anyway thx again guys.

·
The Lone Rider
2,462 Posts
you can wheelie in first easy just throttle is up let go of throttle then full throttle again will come up however highg you want but i run out of gear quick and tonight about 5 min ago i tried to shift into 2nd while up well i missed it and ended up in neutral and all i have to say is my nuts still hurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
more throttle, gix it like 3/4 throttle and hold it there and feel it come up, and it will come up. I don't know about 8500 rpms, that seems a bit high, I'd go a little low like 5-6k but that's just me, then rev to probably around 10-12 or so, it's all about feel though, but just make sure you're on that gas HARD and you STAY on it, otherwise it's not going to come up.
and cover the rear brake!

·
Registered
569 Posts
04StreetGSXR said:
you can wheelie in first easy just throttle is up let go of throttle then full throttle again will come up however highg you want but i run out of gear quick and tonight about 5 min ago i tried to shift into 2nd while up well i missed it and ended up in neutral and all i have to say is my nuts still hurt :thumbup:

:laughingr :laughingr hmm i remember the days of nut smashin!! if ur at bp you will be able to hold 1st up

·
Registered
169 Posts
well ive been practicing my 1st gear wheelies for a little wihle and have it down so that i can get it up everytime and ride them out for a little while, but i usually end up hitting the rev limiter. I bring it up at around 7000, (this is a sit down by the way.) Im gonna start trying to do 2nd gear any one have any advice. i wanna do stand-ups. Ive tried clutching a couple times but only got it up a little bit. i have a 2000 600, will i need to also bounce and clutch it up or what ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
More throttle, stay relaxed, sit back on the seat, cover the rear brake just in case and typically you are never as high as u think u r when learning. ANd in 2nd gear you should be able to bounce them up with just throttle and no clutch or you can clutch them up without bouncing. Hope that helps. I ride a 1000 now so I can pretty much power up 1 and 2 but it is also a lot twitchier once the front end is up whereas on a 600 once you figure out how to get the front wheel in the air it is easy to ride it out real smooth especially in 2nd and higher gears.

·
Registered
372 Posts
wheelies are easy once you get it...its all a matter of gettin the wheel off the ground and keeping it there the hard part is the throttle control which wont come over night it is a thing you develop over time...i prefer the clutch up in second its cleaner and more predictable unless you get carried away, baby steps is all it takesyour not gunna be a wheelie master in a night or even a week, it takes a while....just cover your rear and dont show off till your ready youll fall flat on your ass.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gixxerk3 what part of Mass you from. I'm in the military with 7th SFG so its cool to see people and pictures on sites like this from your home state.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
you just cant let yourself get frustrated...everyone has to go at their own pace....for me it was a matter of seating position and working up the nerve to just say fuck it and hammer the throttle...my 1st gear's wheelies are perfect now...i'm gonna start working on shifting to 2nd while up next

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.