Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I'll be interested to hear your impressions.
I doubt it'll make any perceptible difference in my riding. :)

Even on track, I never had any chatter from the front end. Supposedly the vertical cuts in the upper triple helped this. Who knows.

I just would like to maybe not raise the front so much when the rear height is increased. And then maybe even fine tune the feel of the bike once the rear geometry/swingarm angle is better for corner exits.

Currently running 180/60 supercorsa and the 4-5mm shim under the stock rear shock. Maybe my rear ride height is up ~1".

Playing with online trail and rake calculators, it looks like every inch the rear goes up, the rake drops 1 deg and you lose .25" trail.

Each 2mm decrease in offset regains about 0.1" trail. The smallest offset with the IMA triples is 25mm, 5mm (30mm stock offset-25mm) means regaining almost .25" of trail.

This is what I calculated and I could be way off, though...

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,670 Posts
I doubt it'll make any perceptible difference in my riding. :)

Even on track, I never had any chatter from the front end. Supposedly the vertical cuts in the upper triple helped this. Who knows.

I just would like to maybe not raise the front so much when the rear height is increased. And then maybe even fine tune the feel of the bike once the rear geometry/swingarm angle is better for corner exits.

Currently running 180/60 supercorsa and the 4-5mm shim under the stock rear shock. Maybe my rear ride height is up ~1".

Playing with online trail and rake calculators, it looks like every inch the rear goes up, the rake drops 1 deg and you lose .25" trail.

Each 2mm decrease in offset regains about 0.1" trail. The smallest offset with the IMA triples is 25mm, 5mm (30mm stock offset-25mm) means regaining almost .25" of trail.

This is what I calculated and I could be way off, though...
I run the 180/60 Pirelli slick with 5mm shim, JRi shock at 322mm eye-to-eye, K-Tech extended caps on the forks with forks dropped to 525mm from top of lower triple to center of the axle. Makes the bike pretty tall but works well.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Man, I am hating vendors at the moment.

It's been 2 weeks for the triples that I was told should only take 4-5 days.
3 months on bodywork that was supposed to be in December.
1 week on some titanium hardware that I've heard nothing from the vendor after paying.

Sorry, just had to vent...

BTW, anyone know who bought the carbon fiber gas tank for L1-on 600/750 from germany from ebay? I was saving up for that thing. lol.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Triple clamps finally here. Took a detour in CO.

Don't get the $70 bearing kit. All you get is the lower taper bearing. All balls probably has one for $20.

The part looks nice. Well machined. Offset is adjusted with these collar inserts.

According to the one page instructions/parts list, it appears the triples are designed for the GSXR1000 and that stock offset is 28mm. It comes with offset collars to change the offset +/- 1,2,3 and 4mm. But no zero offset collar. So offset appears to be adjustable from 24 to 32mm in one mm increments minus 28mm.

I was looking to get 25mm but will start with the -2mm collar and see how it goes.

Although machined extensively, the lower clamp is not lightweight but quite robust, spreading the clamping force over a greater area on the fork legs. It'll be interesting to see how the triples compare weight-wise to stock.

Pics to follow...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Armour Bodies just delay and delay the superbike kit. Now they are saying not until April, Maybe. So, I just ordered an in stock Pro fiber kit off ebay to get me ready for spring trackday. Hopefully the fairings will be here in 7-8 days.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
DO NOT BUY the IMA :0001136745-jerkit: triples for a 2011+ GSXR600/750. THEY DO NOT FIT!!!

I specifically ordered a set through Superbike Unlimited:0001136745-jerkit: and after double and triple checking with them that IMA had my application and they confirming fork diameters with me, they placed my order.

The triples were then sent to the wrong address and after a couple nearly frantic unanswered emails asking why my triples were in colorado instead of illinois, I finally received a response through paypal and then my misdirected/misaddressed package yesterday evening.

Today after a long day at work, I pulled out the upper triple and laid it on top of the stock triple. The fork centers are at least a couple mm wider on the IMA clamps than the stock clamps.

Totally 'uckin' useless. And it's the weekend so I'm not gonna be able to contact anyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Oh yeah, while we are on the subject of vendors on my sh!tlist...

Mad Scientist Moto:0001136745-jerkit:- titanium hardware NON supplier.

Ordered some rotor bolts and sprocket nuts last month. Not a peep from him after sending paypal payment.
Emailed, called, contacted through paypal and facebook. Nothing.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS GUY>>>>

I mean if you are ill or have health problems, put a hold on your website e store, man!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Last one.
Armour Bodies:0001136745-jerkit: for making product availability claims they can't keep. Not even by 3 MONTHS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh yeah, while we are on the subject of vendors on my sh!tlist...

Mad Scientist Moto:0001136745-jerkit:- titanium hardware NON supplier.

Ordered some rotor bolts and sprocket nuts last month. Not a peep from him after sending paypal payment.
Emailed, called, contacted through paypal and facebook. Nothing.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS GUY>>>>

I mean if you are ill or have health problems, put a hold on your website e store, man!
I'm not sure if you have bought any products from MSM prior to your recent order. I can understand why you would be frustrated. This recently came up in another forum. You must of found out why your product is not coming judging by your last statement in this post. However, many of the guys who know him, state that in the end he will make it right. Whether it is by a refund or a product later on, they are reassuring that it will be taken care of. I don't personally know him, but I believe the others. I have bought from him before, and he makes a great product at a reasonable cost. Should there be a note on his site, probably, but there may be a reason why there isn't. The guy provided a lot of feedback and assistance to others. And from the sounds of it, was once a member on this forum. I know it sucks not having your parts, but hopefully it will all work out.

I was told 3 months for my bodywork from Hot Bodies. Hopefully I don't have an issue like your armour bodies.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In this instant gratification world, I have become used to getting things promptly 99% of the time.

I get pissed when i get told to pull over in slot 2 at McDonalds, right?

But, these past few instances have gone beyond that. In MSM case, a simple note or if he cant type, a call would have sufficed to keep the consumer if not happy then at least not totally in the dark.
Instead, he thinks it is ok to accept payment then offer no communication at all for over a month.

In the end, making it right to me isnt giving me a refund on money that has been in his hands for a month unless he returns it with interest.

I'll have to check again, but I do not see anywhere on his website where it says his products will take time to ship. But I might have missed it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update on the triples situation.

First though I have to say that Superbike Unlimited has been much more responsive this time around, getting back to me even this weekend. That's worth something to me and I appreciate it.

Anyway, IMA informed them that they included some "spacers" in the kit that are used to space the rotors and axle to the correct spacing.

SO, IMA machine triples purposely to the incorrect fork center (likely for cost reasons, I'm guessing), then offers up a handful of washers to space your rotor and axle.

I am 99.99% sure that if I had known that, I would have not purchased these. But, as I have them already and would likely be stuck paying shipping somewhere to return them, I'm going to give it a try.

Personally, I would NOT use individual washers or shims to space rotors. A machined plate forming a new surface, yes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Triples are on!!!

I ended up not spacing the rotors. They looked centered enough for me on the calipers after everything was tightened.

The way front wheels mount on the axle and forks, you really only need to shim the left side of the wheel to center it.

Ima included shims for both which I dont really understand.

The change in width of the fork centers was minor enough when you split it on both sides.

I can live with just a thin shim to center the wheel.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Pics

I installed a new tapered bearing on the new stem and lower triple. obviously, replaced the lower race in the frame. Upper one looked fine so I kept the ball bearing.

Went out for a short shakedown run. Nothing fell off or broke...

After coming back I loosened and re-tightened the bolts again, and it looks like the left rotor might need those spacers. I need to find my bore gauge set and compare the clearances on each side.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,670 Posts
Was wondering when I didn't see them listed specifically (post #18). Not sure how comfortable I'd be in "making them work".

Sorry to hear about your issues with Mad Scientist. I know he's been through some medical stuff and that's not your problem but I'm sure he will make it right. I got my caliper mounting and pinch bolts from him, but that was prior to all this.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You warned me...
I double and triple checked.

But, as far as I can figure, the gsxr thou has the same fork spacing 207mm. So this would apply to tham as well.

Go figure...

In retrospect, i would have gotten the driven adjustable offset triples instead.

Was wondering when I didn't see them listed specifically (post #18). Not sure how comfortable I'd be in "making them work".

Sorry to hear about your issues with Mad Scientist. I know he's been through some medical stuff and that's not your problem but I'm sure he will make it right. I got my caliper mounting and pinch bolts from him, but that was prior to all this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man, I am hating vendors at the moment.

It's been 2 weeks for the triples that I was told should only take 4-5 days.
3 months on bodywork that was supposed to be in December.
1 week on some titanium hardware that I've heard nothing from the vendor after paying.

Sorry, just had to vent...

BTW, anyone know who bought the carbon fiber gas tank for L1-on 600/750 from germany from ebay? I was saving up for that thing. lol.
one small note about the tank,

A set of tank pads can make a night and day difference, it is an excellent idea and really helps anchor your legs to the tank while hanging off. They usually only run about 30 bucks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yeah, I know. I'm stupid for not having done this yet. Tank pads before the next trackday for sure!

21 - 40 of 133 Posts