Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #101 (Edited)
Sounds like a nuisance. Consider quick release axles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I looked at the Fast by Frank quick change axles. They are PRICEY but come with the lightech adjusters and a custom machined axle.
I really have no NEED for a QC axle, but would seriously consider it if the quality is much better and/or some weight savings can be realized. As it is, though, It almost looks like it would add weight. Sure would be nice to have the lightech adjusters and the nice machined axle, though...

Went out for a 40 minute ride today. Not long, but the loop I ride and the corners I pick are pretty work intensive. I pushed pretty hard and did some heavy braking tests from 100-130.

Turn in is same to a little more sharp. Not a huge change.
Mid turn stability is fine. No real issues I noted. The suspension was managing smaller bumps a little better in turns, but it still felt harsh on larger bumps
Corner exit was improved. Not by leaps and bounds but it was noticeably less running wide.
Braking stability was definitely compromised. I would rarely brake this hard on track on purpose at my level, but today with heavy brake applications, the bike would do the slow weave dance. You know that feeling? Looking at my zip tie on the fork, it appears I'm blowing through the fork travel.

I bought my tools to adjust the suspension but had no clue. Everything felt fine so I left it alone. (maybe the only thing was weaving on hard brakes could have used some more compression dampening) It will probably have to wait for the track where you are really using the suspension range to fine tune things. Otherwise, for the street, they were a huge waste of money. LOL but I knew that...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Back in the garage after the polar vortex passed.

I was doing some clutch maintenance and an upgrade and noticed my clutch basket is worn. The fingers on the clutch basket look like a ribbed condom.
The basket and gear assembly is expensive at almost $300. I'll replace the needle bearing at the same time since I'm there and it's not expensive.

If anyone has any suggestions on this job, please post them.
Is it worth drilling extra holes in the new basket??? I'm thinking no...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Doing a Suter slipper clutch install and wanted to jot down some notes.

To get close to the specs of the drive/driven plate thickness recommended by Suter, I had to order an additional thin steel plate to replace one of the standard steel plate. That makes a total of 6 standard steels and 2 thin steels to go with the 9 fiber plates.
This gives me around 1.583" thickness which is just 3 thou over the high end of the recommended plate thickness spec'd by Suter. I figure with some wear, it should fall right into range.

I replaced the clutch basket due to wear and needle bearing out of priciple; the base washer and spring washer that fits at the bottom of the clutch hub were replaced as well.

hopefully I'll get everything buttoned up by next week.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Clutch is in.

Not sure why but with the correct number of plates installed, 9 fiber, 8 steel, the last fiber plate did not reach far enough on the basket that I could insert it in the alternate slots that don’t go all the way down. So I just slid it in the same slots as the rest.

Since the slipper action depends partly on the height of the plates, I can’t just add plates to the hub. That would make it way too thick.

I could add a shim under the hub (there is the OEM washer there already) but I that would mess up the clutch push rod length. The clutch looks like it disengages just fine now, sitting in the garage.

Does anyone know why those alternative slots on the clutch basket are there and why they say to put the final fiber plate in them?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
hi there JCW,

I've read most all your thread. Nice work, you do get technical, which is really cool.

I reside not too far north of you. Maybe one day we can meet up for a little ride when you're on the streets?

Todd

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Yeah. Winter has been dragging on too long. Can't wait to get out there again.

I'm thinking about doing a motovid performance riding clinic at Blackhawk Farms in Beloit this year.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

I'm thinking about doing a motovid performance riding clinic at Blackhawk Farms in Beloit this year.
I've been thinking about doing a track day at BHF. Let me know and I'll meet you there

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I plan on doing an instructional day instead of a regular track day. Since I've never been to BHF, I'll aim low.

Looks like they have three dates but all on Mondays.
Mon. Jun 10th
Mon. Jul 15th
Mon. Aug 19th

It's more $$$ but I'm interested to see if the class will teach me a thing or two.
Nothing is set in stone, just kicking ideas around.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I plan on doing an instructional day instead of a regular track day. Since I've never been to BHF, I'll aim low.

Looks like they have three dates but all on Mondays.
Mon. Jun 10th
Mon. Jul 15th
Mon. Aug 19th

It's more $$$ but I'm interested to see if the class will teach me a thing or two.
Nothing is set in stone, just kicking ideas around.
I've never done one- like with coaching and all. E'ryone says it's worth it.
These days are for the coaching too? I can try to make one, depending on my work schedule too.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,700 Posts

I'd like to get back to BHF. Haven't been since I broke my back there in 2004.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I wanted a quick turn throttle, so I thought I would try a Motion Pro Rev2 quick throttle system.
This meant modifying the stock switchgear or installing an aftermarket push button “race” pod. I chose one from Bike Sport Developments.

The MP throttle is bulky and cramming this and the new pod on the clip on was not easy, but fortunately everything just barely fit.

The quality is OK. OEM throttle I thought was excellent in terms of smoothness and fit obviously. MP is just a 1/2 step down.

I depinned the two brake light wires from the connector, separated them from the OEM switchgear harness and slid them in the OEM style connector of the afermarket pod wiring harness. That way I retain brake light function when needed.

The side stand switch and relay removal and mod worked like a charm and passed a track day test.(see previous post) Didn't miss not having a neutral light so I'll just leave it disconnected.

The OEM style clutch lever replacement with a stock lever ratio was fine. I even maybe liked it better than the super soft pull of the ASV.
Very clean job ! awsome bike . maybe you have oem fairings for sale ? please PM me . thank you .

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I have OEM fairings with light rash having flipped the bike over and over and over...

Yeah, I managed to crack or destroy every single body panel. Nothing survived.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Buttoned up the clutch and went riding up and down the street. It was only in the mid to upper 40's so it was not for long. Clutch effort was decreased. I didn't downshift hard to really test the slipper, but on the shifts I did, the bike was unfazed. Clutch definitely was less grabby and engaged very smoothly. Well, f it, $300 for a new OEM clutch basket it better be better.

I weighed my bike after doing the first of the year oil change and refilling the cooling system.
Pleasantly happy with 363#. 190 front, 173 back. about a 52/48 split. Once on the bike, the weight distribution flips and it's almost 30 pounds more on the rear than the front.

I think I'll be in the mid to upper 350's after a couple last upgrades. wheels, etc. Then I'll be ready for the season and probably for good with the bike other than cosmetic stuff like getting the fairings painted.

Just hoping for no crashes this year.

·
Registered
86 Posts

I did a MotoVid clinic last season. I found that riding with a CR (regular track day) and getting feedback after each session was more valuable than the rider clinics.

Not sure if I’m going to continue with Motovid (4 groups) or MWTD (3 groups) this season.

Autobahn with STT is another option; getting up at 4:30 and driving for two hours up to S. Beloit sucks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I did a MotoVid clinic last season. I found that riding with a CR (regular track day) and getting feedback after each session was more valuable than the rider clinics.

Not sure if I’m going to continue with Motovid (4 groups) or MWTD (3 groups) this season.

Autobahn with STT is another option; getting up at 4:30 and driving for two hours up to S. Beloit sucks.

Thanks for that! Saves me a trip up to blackhawk although I'd like to do a trackday there sometime this year.

I do autobahn several times each year. It's really to only one I do regularly. If you decide to go and want someone to pit next to, hit me up!

I've stayed overnight once near Gingerman. It is an option but I don't think I really got that much more sleep. I try the week before I'm going to the track to adjust my sleep schedule and get up early.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hope to see you this season; I live about an hour from Joliet so it would be more convenient. I just found that MWTD was a better bang for the buck; no season memberships required and early bird pricing was $155 last season.

I went up to Road America last season; wow that’s a fast track. Had to make a mini-vacation out of it; a day to get up there, overnight hotel, a day of riding, and then a day to get home. I would like to see more tracks (Grattan, Barber, etc) but I don’t have the time to travel very far at the moment.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts