Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
This is not gonna look anywhere near presentable. It’ll need some type of tank cover for sure...
And that is not false modesty talking.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,666 Posts
Would look badass though. I like your idea of flaring the top out. Being a track bike do you really need more fuel capacity? I would think you run half a tank or less for weight reduction. Also lowers your center of gravity.

EDIT:. Read the title...track/street....never mind.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Would look badass though. I like your idea of flaring the top out. Being a track bike do you really need more fuel capacity? I would think you run half a tank or less for weight reduction. Also lowers your center of gravity.

EDIT:. Read the title...track/street....never mind.
You are not wrong. It is mostly track. But I kinda wanted to make sure I had at least 2.5 preferably 3 gallons. Only reason I ride the streets on this bike is to work on something for the track like my hard braking or downshifting or body position.

You have to really use your imagination with the pics below... otherwise you'll vomit.

Tacked the rear section. I've got it down pretty good now. I can tack and repair small holes and gaps reasonably well...
tacked rear.jpg

made a top but not sure I'm totally happy with it. Obviously, will need a tank cover for proper ergos.

tank left rear with top.jpg

tank top rear.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
And a planishing hammer and shears...
A couple hardwood stump to shrink with.
A real man’s lathe would be nice, too. ;)

·
SuperMod of the North
25,666 Posts
The poor mans English wheel is a double thickness burlap sack full of sand and a rubber mallet. a good set of dolly blocks and you can actually get a pretty good curve.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
So, maybe it was a little too ambitious of me to think I could make the whole thing, seat, tank and covers this summer.
Plan B. I like this look so I will shorten the tank and use the aftermarket superbike tail I already have. That way no mounts have to be changed or modified.
This is a little more manageable. I will rebend the base and get moving...

plan b.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Rebent the bottom flange then built the well for the pump and tacked the flange in place.
It took 3 cuts to get the perfect depth on the well, and some creative harness wiring routing to clear the space needed on the bike. Then it took another three tries to get the flange clocked right so the fuel line reached just right.

now the top looks wonky to me and I will remake the top of the tank again. I have wasted soooo much time trying to find tank shapes online. I'm not a very visual person and these shapes are hard to me to translate onto metal. I was looking at ducatis, r1's, m1's zx10r, rcv213, everything. Then I saw a suzuki gsv-r and said wait, this is a suzki, lets copy a suzuki motogp tank. I really like the 2008 gsv-r tank. I'll try my best to model after it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
After getting back to work on the tank, I realized most of the shape in a tank is forward where I want to end my tank, so I ended up just using what I already had for the top.

I put in maybe 3 days more work this week and got to this...

left rear on bike.jpg
rear on bike.jpg
side.jpg

Still a couple things to install like the fuel filler and vent. After welding it all up, it should look better. unless I fail and make swiss cheese out of it with the tig.

It fits like a glove, looks like shit, and comes in at this point at 6.5 pounds. 4#'s less than stock... Totally not worth it, lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
lined all the bits and pieces up along the midline. worked on evening out both sides (harder than I thought).
I experimented on welding the spine of the tank a little. it is coming along...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I cut the old filler out of the junk tank and pitched the rest in the trash. The 2 small vent/overflow lines were cut, crimped and welded shut. They go from the well of the filler, travel through the tank to the bottom where they drain through a couple long rubber hoses.
The filler is frenched in already but I slightly raised it off the tank for no good reason...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
This project will now be even slower to update lol...
Less time now that I'm back to work after about 1 1/2 months layoff.

Difficult... but I think almost acceptable results. When the gap is tight, welding is a blast. When there's a gap especially in thin 22g stuff, I'm currently having to do some weaving to ensure good fusion between sides.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
2+ days of welding and I'm making progress. more than 3/4 done I'd say. The structure stiffens up nicely when all welded together. That's good.

I think the best analogy I can think of about how hard it is welding on this thin stuff is it's like trying to thread a fine thread thorugh a small needle if the needle and thread is made of ice and you foot is controlling a heater that is trying to melt it away. Do that over and over for every puddle you put down...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
before I weld in the front panel and close the tank up, I inspected the seams with a magnifying glass and flashlight and patched up pinholes and short sections I may have missed.

Then came the leak test! I tested the welds that were present and cleaned the tank with acetone. The stuff seems to find any leak, evaporates quickly and I can safely weld once dry. I found probably 8 places, some were rather stubborn to close. I would have to grind it back to the base metal occasionally.
the mosquitoes were eating me alive in the garage even with the fan going, so I called it a night.

Front panel on tomorrow and then leak test with air and soapy water.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Didn't quite finish welding on the front panel. The filler area needs to be finished and I plan to grind that area smooth.

It's ugly but...

161 - 180 of 184 Posts