Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm a newbie to bikes so take it easy on me. I just bought a 04 gsxr600 with about 6,500 miles on it and it seems to be pretty lagging below 3-4k rpm, mainly in 1st and 2nd. I realize this may just be the way the mapping is setup but I'm wondering if a power commander would help it out or if I just need to learn to deal with it. I don't like to drive the crap out of it when taking off and it makes it hard to get going the way it is now. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
That's about right. You don't have to rev it way up, but you do need to get it past 5,000 to get a decent amount of acceleration out of it. I'm usually shifting around 5K even on my 750 when I'm riding it gently.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Its a 600cc sport bike. The powerband dosnt really start to kick in till 6-7k. With something that redlines at 15 or 16k, can you really expect it to have a bunch of low end power? You should have enough power to tool around town easily at 3-4k, but if you want her to actually move you gota get the RPM up a little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I kinda figured that was the case. It just feels like it's almost going to stall out ya know. Not a big deal, but it's annoying. It's not really the cruising or shifting, it's just when I first start off it feels like it's going to bog out, sort of like a hesitation. I'm going to let my buddy drive it who's been riding bikes for a while and see if he thinks it's normal.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well if its really that bad you could try doing some basic tune up things. New oil/filter (if you havnt already), new spark plugs, new air filter. Put good quality gas in it, high octane. I try to stay from the cheapo gas stations mostly. It shouldnt feel like its gona stall out, but they just dont have a lota pull till you get it wrapped up a little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tro, I'm doing an oil change and air filter change tomorrow. If that does nothing for it I'll see about doing spark plugs (not ready for that unless it's real easy). I've been putting 93 in it since I've had it (only been through 2 tanks so far) but I'm not sure what the previous owner used. If it doesn't work itself out I'll look into getting it remapped.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
552 Posts
Does it have a power commander on it now? If you just have a slip on and no power commander you shouldnt need to be messing with the fuel.

I dont thind the plugs are that hard to change. I think the worst part about it is the fact you gota take the air box off. But nothing that difficult about it. I really need to do mine, almost 20k mi on the original plugs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
i think i konw what you mean, mine sort of does it as well, im told that its caus ive just got the pipe and no power commander. it does not worry me too much caus it only does it at low rpm (2000 to 3000)

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Thanks Tro, I'm doing an oil change and air filter change tomorrow. If that does nothing for it I'll see about doing spark plugs (not ready for that unless it's real easy). I've been putting 93 in it since I've had it (only been through 2 tanks so far) but I'm not sure what the previous owner used. If it doesn't work itself out I'll look into getting it remapped.

Thanks again for the help
I would highly recommend that you search and read the threads on fuel octane. There are a lot of misconceptions floating around. Your 600 requires a minimum octane of 87. Unless you have modded it in a manner that raises the compression, using any higher octane will gain absolutely nothing for performance, or engine protection. In fact, you are probably actually losing power using 93 octane, and you will have a greater fouling tendency in your engine over time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.