Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Texas and am told that legalizing lanesplitting here is on it's way. I was wondering exactly what lanesplitting is and how safe/dangerous it is. I have to pass through a stop light/intersection 4 times a day...which is on a major highway (70+mph traffic) and placed where from one direction it is right over the top of a hill, and from the other direction it is around a corner. Needless to say, it is a dangerous place, and anyway I can safely get up ahead of cars to possibly avoid being rearended would be good. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Lane splitting makes riding between two designated lanes of traffic (i.e. up the center line) legal....check out the california DMV's website...probably has info...
I am not positive about his note, but I believe it's still illegal to switch lanes in an intersection...anyway, if they legalize it, check the laws, and then watch your ass like crazy, because it's gonna take forever for dumb fucks to realize that you aren't a threat to them just because you are close to their car....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nice i might have to check out my local laws to see if it passed here :thumbup:

I always do ont eh freeway if it is jammed (not going at least 40mph) and at stop lights if there is more thatn 2 cars at the light (not to be so dick)

·
Registered
192 Posts

I thought lane splitting was legal everywhere. I do it everytime I get on the bike. If there is ONE car in front of me at a light, that is one car too many. I lanesplit everywhere to practise for when it does become legal.

My theory and reasoning is this: If I get in front of a car, I am not going to hold him up at the light and these cars should be greatful cuz I will gladly increase the flow of traffic by speeding down the road ahead.

If a car gets pissed, they are the idiot cuz if they are pissed, they must feel I am holding them up in some way when the opposite is true. By speeding down the road, I am allowing the cars behind to travel at a faster rate of speed. If there is a cop ahead, he will try to catch me and not the cars behind. I said TRY cuz they have yet to get me....................I am an outlaw, a mortar for the cause if you will.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
INLIKEALION said:
I thought lane splitting was legal everywhere. I do it everytime I get on the bike. If there is ONE car in front of me at a light, that is one car too many. I lanesplit everywhere to practise for when it does become legal.

My theory and reasoning is this: If I get in front of a car, I am not going to hold him up at the light and these cars should be greatful cuz I will gladly increase the flow of traffic by speeding down the road ahead.

If a car gets pissed, they are the idiot cuz if they are pissed, they must feel I am holding them up in some way when the opposite is true. By speeding down the road, I am allowing the cars behind to travel at a faster rate of speed. If there is a cop ahead, he will try to catch me and not the cars behind. I said TRY cuz they have yet to get me....................I am an outlaw, a mortar for the cause if you will.

Sounds like you are an ass :thumbup:

I speed up to the speed limit then i go about 5 mph above, i cant get another ticket or my licence is taking away :headshake

·
Registered
729 Posts
It depends on which state you are in. Lane splitting is legal in cali, but Other states like Arizona, its not. but we still do it in AZ. Check up on state laws.

·
Registered
159 Posts
in my opinion nothing is worse than l.a. rush hour traffic... if it saves me 1.5 hrs each way splittin lanes then its all good.. splittin lanes at first can be a lil nerve racking watchin out for all the dumb idiot drivers who arent paying attention and start drifting towards you-i.e. women who put on their makeup while driving. That happened to me once when i was about to pass her, she started to drift toward me not paying attention so i revved it up to let her know i was there and scared the crap out of her...now lane splitting is nothing more than routine here in so cal, just as long as you watch out for the idiot cagers..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So at stop lights you go between the cars...but when you get to the front of the pack of cars what do you do? Sit in between the two front cars and take off from there when the light turns green?

·
Registered
315 Posts
gixxerK5six said:
in my opinion nothing is worse than l.a. rush hour traffic... if it saves me 1.5 hrs each way splittin lanes then its all good.. splittin lanes at first can be a lil nerve racking watchin out for all the dumb idiot drivers who arent paying attention and start drifting towards you-i.e. women who put on their makeup while driving. That happened to me once when i was about to pass her, she started to drift toward me not paying attention so i revved it up to let her know i was there and scared the crap out of her...now lane splitting is nothing more than routine here in so cal, just as long as you watch out for the idiot cagers..
My understanding of the CA law, is that the bike is responsible if a collision occurs while lane splitting when they are passing cars. It's not supposed to be done in moving traffic for the precise reason that you mentioned. Another scenario can occur in stopped traffic when someone opens their door to spit out their chew. The CA Motorcycle Handbook discourages lane splitting even though it is technically legal.

You just need to weigh the cost vs. benefit. If you collide with a car or truck, you lose, regardless of fault.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Whether lanesplitting is legal or not, cage drivers absolutely HATE IT! They will go to the end of the world to stop you, whether it be opening car doors, or stopping close to the side of other vehicles, or yelling at you, or throwing objects at you, or swerving over the line to stop you. Yeah I do it, whether its legal or not. It's absolutely amazing how people react to it, why should they even care, I can understand being jealous, cause that makes sense. But oh no, theres a motorcycle on the centerline next to me! He's picking on the size of my penis! I must retaliate with my hot coffee and coins and chuck them at him! Maybe that will make his penis smaller! Oh no, he just kicked in my door! Why?! What did I dooooooooooo ?!?!?Aiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I hate people.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
I do it, but I don't go crazy like other riders do (I live in California). If traffic is stopped, or going very slow and there is room I'll damn sure do it, but I'll go slow and WATCH FOR CARS ABOUT TO CHANGE LANES.

Cars don't mind it that much as long as you aren't blazing by them at 70. If you are mellow, you normally get some slack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So at stop lights you go between the cars...but when you get to the front of the pack of cars what do you do? Sit in between the two front cars and take off from there when the light turns green?

·
Registered
40 Posts
GSXRjason600 said:
Yes you take off.
I hate it here in Co. we can't lane share(legal term).
I came rfrom Ca. & loved to lane share. Got straight to the front of the class do not stop until you reach the red light.
You are aloud to travel in traffic 15mph faster & have to signal each time you go from one lane to another.
In the diamond or carpool lanes you can cruise between the double yellow & the white line passing cars there.
I can't wait for Co. to legalize lane sharing.
When I first moved to Co. in Oct 04' people must have thought I was nuts lanesharing & going to the front of the line @ a stop light.
I still have Ca. plates on my bike so I would just plead, I am from Cali man, chill bro! :thumbup:

Sitting in traffic in 100+ weather in full leathers on the fwy. with hot a$$ cars all around kinda sucks!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
evilbologna said:
Whether lanesplitting is legal or not, cage drivers absolutely HATE IT! They will go to the end of the world to stop you, whether it be opening car doors, or stopping close to the side of other vehicles, or yelling at you, or throwing objects at you, or swerving over the line to stop you. Yeah I do it, whether its legal or not. It's absolutely amazing how people react to it, why should they even care, I can understand being jealous, cause that makes sense. But oh no, theres a motorcycle on the centerline next to me! He's picking on the size of my penis! I must retaliate with my hot coffee and coins and chuck them at him! Maybe that will make his penis smaller! Oh no, he just kicked in my door! Why?! What did I dooooooooooo ?!?!?Aiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

I hate people.
I know how that is. They are normally kids that throw things though. Those fucks :2hard

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dogginator said:
My understanding of the CA law, is that the bike is responsible if a collision occurs while lane splitting when they are passing cars. It's not supposed to be done in moving traffic for the precise reason that you mentioned. Another scenario can occur in stopped traffic when someone opens their door to spit out their chew. The CA Motorcycle Handbook discourages lane splitting even though it is technically legal.

You just need to weigh the cost vs. benefit. If you collide with a car or truck, you lose, regardless of fault.
doesnt the ca law state also its all good as long as yer 5 mph tops faster than cars? but its true if yer goin and get hit its yer fault.. but splittin traffic in the freeways is totally different.. cars dont usually open their doors to spit their chew in cali.. its always going to be a 50/50 chance something happens.. but i think if yer splittin lanes on the fwy at a reasonable speed (40-50) yer still able to make good judgements and reaction.. but if shit happens it happens, theres nothing you can do bout..

Mister Tee said:
I do it, but I don't go crazy like other riders do (I live in California). If traffic is stopped, or going very slow and there is room I'll damn sure do it, but I'll go slow and WATCH FOR CARS ABOUT TO CHANGE LANES.

Cars don't mind it that much as long as you aren't blazing by them at 70. If you are mellow, you normally get some slack.
+1 on that one.. im splittin lanes on the fast lane and if i see a gap to my right, i watch out for any cager that tries to take that spot b4 they see me.. they see an open spot and think its all good to go..almost seen a couple of riders slam on their brakes in this situation.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
GSXRjason600 said:

yup yup....thats how we do at intersections. :thumbup:

on the streets its no biggie, just gets a little hairy at times on the highway :arsenal

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That shit is illegal here in WVa. but sometimes we do it if there is an especially homicidal fucking cager running around trying to squish us, or if someone purposely runs us of the road or something, that is about the only time you will catch me purposely stunting in traffic////some stupid cunt runs into my lane- running me off the road and about onto the sidewalk. I power it up, get around her and sit through the next red light blowing molten dunlop all over her hood....Like I said, not normal for me, it's just so fucking irritating that these cagers intentionally pull into the same lanes as us....I try not to ride like an ass, I try to keep my revs down in the city so my exhaust doesn't scare people, but shit, they allways end up pissing me off, and in that situation, I tend to not be so diplomatic...we can allways get away if they don't just run us over....need to legalize lanesplitting here! until then, I will just keep keeping the glock strapped inside my tail next to my power commander....fuck getting squished!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
^^^^i hear ya.....never ceases to amaze me how some people actually get a laugh at swervin into my lane or at the last second, blocking the lane dividers so there's noroom to split......fuckers get doors kicked in and mirrors "hammer fisted" off..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.