Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this low speed low side crash bike last year from a friend who moved out of state. It’s been sitting since 2010. I installed a new fuel pump and got the thing running again. Last weekend I dropped and replaced the old oil and filter. I let the bike warm up to cycle the oil and let it breathe some. Before this I never let the engine run for more than 5 seconds or so with the old oil in it. Just long enough to make sure the fuel pump was working.
So now with fresh oil I ran the engine for a solid 10 minutes (with a fan blowing on the radiator) and I come back into the garage and see some oil on the ground. Not a ton but like 4 or 5 big drops.

Are there any problem seals I should be looking at? The bike fell over on its left side. Should I be looking for a cracked case? The leak is coming from somewhere behind this water thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
9,662 Posts
Welcome.

There are two places that are common oil leak possibilities in that area.either the o-ring that seals the pump to the case (#8) or the oil seal on the drive shaft itself (#5).

The #8 o-ring is the most common, cheapest and easiest to change and I'd do that first. Just lean the bike over to the right a bit and you can pull the pump without losing any oil. The only caution is to make sure the tang on the pump drive is slid into the slot on the oil pump shaft on installation.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the tips! I feel a lot better about it without completely shooting in the dark. :Thumbs up:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts