Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Where do you have your license plate. If all the numbers/letters cannot be view from directly behind the bike (like from a cars point of view) then the officer is justified in writing you the ticket. Example, if it is mounted near the hugger and it's partially blocked.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Here's where the officer has you:

(7) has a coating, covering, protective material, or other apparatus that:

(A) distorts angular visibility or detectability;

(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or

(C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the plate.

So pay the fine and stop complaining.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
If you have the plate mounted on the swingarm, that can be enough for a ticket because the officer may not be able to see it if he is not directly behind you (example - if you are in the inside lane and the officer is on the outside lane and your rear tire could block all or part of the plate from the officer's angle of view)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Remember where your rear fender use to be? That is where your plate is suppose to be no acceptions. :thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
eh....cops are pricks. Not all, but most.

I got the same ticket before. The officer said its not visible from 50 feet from the rear of the bike.....which it is. Its funny cause I even got off my bike and walked over 50 feet from it with the officer right next to me and my plate is visible. I said....."you can see my plate from here right?....cause I can see it" he said, "no". effing jerk.

Anyway, it was dismissed in court. I got a friend of mine to take pictures of my plate while I was riding it, I took pics of it off the bike from 150 feet away....I asked 4 different people in my apartment outside and they all said that its visible.

Took my pics to court and the judge shook his head when I told him what the officer did.

DISMISSED.

so.....what I would suggest to you is....make sure your plate is legal by the rest of the standards. Dont worry about the loose wording in the handbook, because its written loosely to give officers descretion on who to ticket and who not to.

Bottomline is.....JUDGE will determine.

My plates are all still mounted under the tail.....and everytime I get pulled over and they mention it....I tell em...I went to court over it and the judge already dismissed it.

They dont bother with me about it anymore.

·
Registered
441 Posts
on another note.....you will likely get the eventual detainment for

"checking the DOT sticker on your helmet"

Ive gotten that lame ass line from cops like 3 times now. So....I went and bought myself a small sticker that says.

"capable of evading high speed pursuit" and stuck it right above my DOT sticker.

Now when they pull me over and use that line....I just turn my head and tell em....theres my sticker right there. :twofinger

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was pulled over in Euless, TX and was given a verbal warning because my plate was sideways.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
i have mine tucked wayyy under and got a ticket. but it was also dismissed. i took a video and walked like 70 feet to show i was still able to see it. the judge just laughed and threw it out. Now if it was night I would have been screwed cause I have no light.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My plate is mounted just under my tail light, flush with the tail and has like 3/4" risers to keep it away from the undertail! My bike is slammed and you can still see if from behind. Pulled over literally Tuesday and cop didn't say a word about it! I could see him riding behind me running the plates, so clearly he could see them! PS - The Cop was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee

I pulled over before he put the lights were even on and got let off for something I should have gone to jail for!

·
Registered
89 Posts
License Plate locatins

The plate must be clear, clean and visible from the rear, parallel to the ground and under 48". Cops in general do not like sport bikes so if you have it mounted other then the factory position they can write you up. I would look on line for the infraction for you state and read it you will find that there is a lot of gray area. Remounted it so that it is a little bit more visible take a picture of it and go into court show the judge that it is visible from the rear and cop is harassing you and profiling you because you ride a sport bike. It worked for me plus I had slicks on I got out of both infractions based on the fact that he did not have a reason to pull me over other then to bother me. Now if you were speeding or wreckless riding also then you might have a problem, but if all you were doing is riding down the street then you have a case of pure profiling. I personally put mine back in the factory spot where it can be seen with no problem just because I did not want to be bothered by bored police officers. All of these laws have loop holes even the tire one is very vag you just have to be smart enough to be convincing to the judge that the cop was harassing you.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
i have mine tucked wayyy under and got a ticket. but it was also dismissed. i took a video and walked like 70 feet to show i was still able to see it. the judge just laughed and threw it out. Now if it was night I would have been screwed cause I have no light.

and you should have been screwed for an expired plate and the duct tape :rofl:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was pulled over in Euless, TX and was given a verbal warning because my plate was sideways.
god forbid you make them read sideways...

I cant speak the last two times I have been stopped I have been let go with a slap on the ass and a warning. I have been very lucky or they like my ass:shifty

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got the same ticket before. The officer said its not visible from 50 feet from the rear of the bike.....which it is. Its funny cause I even got off my bike and walked over 50 feet from it with the officer right next to me and my plate is visible.
i have mine tucked wayyy under and got a ticket. but it was also dismissed.
I just did that mod today but can't figure out a good spot for my inspection sticker. I think that is also required to be "visible from the back"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.