Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the law and what do you do?

I Bought a used bike the previous owner has it mounted up in the fender. I don't think it's legal but I've been told cops don't usually bother. Anyway all the oem harware is gone just wondering what my legal options are?

·
Registered
412 Posts
As far as whether its legal or not...No in CA it is not legal to have it mounted up in the fender. Whether you will get pulled over for it is a different story. Mine is up under the fender and ive been pulled over twice for it over the course of 2 years and given a warning. Ive been followed by hundreds of cops though and ive even been told by a CHP that most wont waste their time with it. Mine is still entirely visible though, ive seen others that the suspesion sinks and you cant even see the damn thing.

If you want to change it and be on the safe side then ebay is the place to go to get a cheap plate kit--or fab up your own...use the search feature cuz there are plenty of threads on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
light: yes,
red reflector: yes, not no

I am new to super sport bikes (2009 GSX-R750), not new to bikes in general.
I just got a fixit ticket in N. CA for missing a rear red reflector (I claimed total ignorance on the FE kit, which was only partially true) - I wasn't expecting that, that's for sure. What a waste of everyone's time.

The cop justified it with "fatalities... etc. etc."

This has got to be one of the most gratuitous, highly-technical, and useless class of fixit tickets ever produced. My modern LED tail is superior in every way to reflective tape (and one could argue the license plate itself should be made to be reflective enough - it is in fact) It is an old, tired code, which not even two of my cars meet (I just noticed).

Two questions:
1) Will ~3 sq inches of reflective tape ON the license plate (about the same size as the reflector on the old crappy, huge, wobbly, factory fender mount) make CA officers happy? Otherwise, I aim to bolt something right onto the plate, and call it a day.
2) I've pretty much given up on my local senators, etc.: any ideas how to get law makers to remove this ridiculous code from the DMV?

·
Registered
159 Posts
one of my friends had the same question. he called the ohio state patrol and all they told him was the plate had to be on the rear of the bike (which is not a very detailed answer) and that it had to have lights on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
CA DMV 5200....
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
Positioning of Plates

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground...
24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.
Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to have the license plate mounted up under the fender, with a little light on it. Until I got a fix-it ticket to move the plate back to the rear of the bike, and also to affix a red reflector. So, yes, you can get a ticket for the reflector. Just depends on how bored the cop is that day, I guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yea my buddy just got a fixit, no reflector tape her in So Cal, I think it depends on the cop, but it is the law!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Its just like everybody has said, "it all depends on the cop." I had mine between my tire and undertail and did not get bothered untill i went to the canyons n was fallowed by a cop who wanted (and got) a reason to stop me n chek me.

It ultimately depends on the cop cuz i know a grip of bikers that have their plates a bunch of modified ways (painted, side mounted, cut, bent, no light, etc) and none of them have been stoped for it. My suggestion is that if ur gonna be literally "Ridin Derty :arsenal " avoid the possibility of gettin pulled for no reason.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.