Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Im staying with the 1000 for my track bike, I want to shave weight. I've already removed quite a bit.
Wheels are on the agenda, Im having a tough time deciding what wheels to invest in.
Not into the carbon fiber stuff though.
I want something light and strong.
What is the average weight savings?

I know less rotating mass is a plus as well.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The carbon fiber rims are the lightest/best ones to get if you can afford them, BST is the lightest and Dymag is really close but the Kevlar they added for strength adds that little extra weight. Outside of those I don't know as you would have to see the other manufactures websites to see if the list the weights for their wheels.

When deciding you need to consider the MOI as some rims would be potentially lighter but their MOI may not show it, unfortunately for you the carbon rims have the best MOI numbers.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Carrozzeria
Just saw those last night, they are super nice. Im doing a red,white and blue paint scheme, those red anodized wheels would be sweet!
They mention the "V" wheels are 5 lbs lighter per set over typical OEM.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Since Im staying with the 1000 for my track bike, I want to shave weight. I've already removed quite a bit.
Wheels are on the agenda, Im having a tough time deciding what wheels to invest in.
Not into the carbon fiber stuff though.
I want something light and strong.
What is the average weight savings?

I know less rotating mass is a plus as well.
Is this a track only bike? And if you don't want carbon go with magnesium. The Carrozzeria's are very nice I have a set but you will not notice a lot of difference between them and stock wheels except visual appeal, but I also have a set of BST's by far they are the most significant mod I have done to the bike and I have a bunch. The wheels if they are truly light will make the biggest improvement that you can tell.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this a track only bike? And if you don't want carbon go with magnesium. The Carrozzeria's are very nice I have a set but you will not notice a lot of difference between them and stock wheels except visual appeal, but I also have a set of BST's by far they are the most significant mod I have done to the bike and I have a bunch. The wheels if they are truly light will make the biggest improvement that you can tell.
Thanks JM, thats some solid info first hand experience. I appreciate it, looks like I might have to spend more.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Thanks JM, thats some solid info first hand experience. I appreciate it, looks like I might have to spend more.
No problem the BST rear wheel without the tire weighs about 1.5 - 2lbs I can put my index finger in the axle hole and hold it out at arms length. That should give you an Idea just how light they are. And I have had mine for almost 5 years now no problems. For some reason the front wheel is a little heavier but still much much lighter than stock or the forged wheels. If you get them you will not believe what a difference they make in flickability.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and yes, track only....The durability is also good to hear. I guess I've seen so many cheap carbon fiber products come apart and peel layers, it made me nervous spending that bank on them.

I better find a damn good shop to mount them also, If they got scratched I would flip out lol.
I've seen some guys butcher wheels.

Since I worked at a shop for years, I got really fluent in mounting tires and very cautious, problem is I dont have access to a machine anymore.:|

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mag wheels are going to be the best overall, IMHO

For the money though, stick with aluminum. Marchesini, Carozzaria, OZ, or Galespeed are all going to be very nice pieces.

Show us what you end up grabbing!

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,684 Posts
Carbon wheels scare me. There was a recent pic of a Ducati posted on fb where the spokes just tore right off at a trackday.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Carbon wheels scare me. There was a recent pic of a Ducati posted on fb where the spokes just tore right off at a trackday.

I think there must have been a problem he didn’t know about, like it was damaged at a tire change or something. BST’s are DOT approved I have had mine for over 5 years and could not tell you the times I have been over triple the speed limit. Then again I mount and balance mine so I’m very careful. I just bought a set for the 17 so I have two sets of them.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Am I going senile? I thought you had BSTs already?
My original post was 2016.
Already have a full season on my wheels, they're doing just fine.
Thats when I was looking to buy them. :wink

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like thread revivals!

They shouldn't. I saw the post, but I never heard what brand the wheels were, and if I remember correctly, it was a rear brake malfunction that caused the issue, not the wheel failing. Which, and forgive me for generalizing, there are a lot of Duc owners who try to work on their bikes at the track that do not have the proper knowledge, tools or mechanical prowess and at the end of the day pack up their bike in pieces due to a crash, or tearing the bike down to figure out why it stopped running. So I wouldn't worry too much about issues with Carbon Wheels failing. BST has been making quality carbon wheels for what, 10+ years now? If I had the money, I would have a set of BST or RotoBox wheels for sure.

My original post was 2016.
Already have a full season on my wheels, they're doing just fine.
Thats when I was looking to buy them. :wink
What wheels did you end up buying?!

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like thread revivals!

They shouldn't. I saw the post, but I never heard what brand the wheels were, and if I remember correctly, it was a rear brake malfunction that caused the issue, not the wheel failing. Which, and forgive me for generalizing, there are a lot of Duc owners who try to work on their bikes at the track that do not have the proper knowledge, tools or mechanical prowess and at the end of the day pack up their bike in pieces due to a crash, or tearing the bike down to figure out why it stopped running. So I wouldn't worry too much about issues with Carbon Wheels failing. BST has been making quality carbon wheels for what, 10+ years now? If I had the money, I would have a set of BST or RotoBox wheels for sure.

What wheels did you end up buying?!
I bought the BST's, they're doing fine. I Jetmechanic has a couple sets I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts