Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the pros and cons would be when lowering the ride height. I saw a lowering link deal that grabbed my attention and I have also seen people slide the fork tubes up in the headset to lower the front end. Will this affect track performance, is it a straight line thing or is it just silly?

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I think it would affect track performance- some.
Many do it so they can flat foot there bike at a stop.
IMHO- Silly

Reactions: WhiteDeath

·
SuperMod of the North
26,148 Posts
I have always seen it more as wanting the slammed look. It does greatly affect the handling of the bike. They spend tons of cash on development and years refining these platforms for optimum performance. Anything you do to change the geometry has likely been ruled out at some point by the R&D guys. Changing the wheel base with a stretch kit also changes the handling. Yeah, straight lines not so much but corners are a lot different.

That being said, if you are just cruising around on it or it is more show and less go there are lots of kits out there to get what you want. Still quick and ridable, just not going to be carving canyons or hitting the track is all.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Lowering does take away from the cornering capabilities. For us "normal" riders, it isn't by much. I have my rear dropped 2", and front 1.5". Bike still handles like its on rails. The biggest benefit to dropping the rear down, is it helps keep the front end on the ground. A LOT. I have raised my bike back to stock before, and prefer it lowered. Looks, feel, and ridebility suit me better. Lowering links are pretty cheap. If you don't like it, you can always go back to stock height.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input I have thought about this all day today and I think you all are spot on about the engineered aspect of things those brainiacs and talented riders spend their lives perfecting something so some shit head can mess it all up. That is what the shop that flashed the ecu on a friend of mines bike told us! Anyway I am like 6'4" and I think I should worry about spring rate on the rear if anything at all I am 240 lbs of pure muscle with my gear on, every dirt bike I owned got the tall treatment new spring on the rear taller seat dropped pegs tag double high bars with a 1" riser etc and it was definitely worth every penny. My new bike doesn't have adjustable pegs like the suzukis have and that bummed me out for sure I don't know what "rearset" will give me what I want or which are trash and which are decent. There sure is a price difference on them. I am gonna stop rambling now and go put on my oxford heated grip kit I got from the brown van today, tomorrow my pipe will be here, I have really been excited about this! Thanks again guys!!

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,775 Posts
If you want it to perform on a (non drag strip) racetrack, it probably needs to be taller not shorter. Mine is raised at both ends. Lowering is typically for the drag strip or "lifestyle".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts