Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two nights ago I was involved in a severe accident. Luckily I was not on my bike, I was in my 2007 Ford Focus zx5. I was rear ended by a distracted driver who was doing around 50-60mph when they struck me and ended up pushing me into the car In front of me. I was almost to a complete stop when I was struck. I was slowing down for someone making a left hand turn that was waiting for traffic to clear. Apparently I called my dad and 911 as soon as it happened but I don’t remember that. I had to kick open the passenger side door just to get out due to how smashed my car was. I’m so glad my kids were not in the backseat because I’m sure they would’ve been far worse then what I walked away with. I’m also glad my bike was on lift due to me just putting new chain and sprockets on. Stay safe out there guys. I’m really rattled from this experience and honestly I’m a little scared to take the bike out again. Time heals all wounds tho and I will be back in action soon!

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
Damn, glad you are OK! Are you hurt at all? I would imagine you are going to be sore for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
Wow. Hard hit and you will be feeling it the next few days.

As far as the bike is concerned, check your six as you slow and stop to see what the guy behind you is doing. I need to get better at this myself.

Also, don't stop right behind the car in front, slow or stop to the far left or right side. Preferably to the left as you will be more visible to oncoming drivers. If you see a collision unfolding you have a path of escape, if you don't see it, at least you will not be between the cars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, glad you are OK! Are you hurt at all? I would imagine you are going to be sore for a bit.
Yes my left bicep is bruised pretty bad and I have a cut on my forehead and my right elbow and what I believe is a broken rib on my left side.
Wow. Hard hit and you will be feeling it the next few days.

As far as the bike is concerned, check your six as you slow and stop to see what the guy behind you is doing. I need to get better at this myself.

Also, don't stop right behind the car in front, slow or stop to the far left or right side. Preferably to the left as you will be more visible to oncoming drivers. If you see a collision unfolding you have a path of escape, if you don't see it, at least you will not be between the cars.
Thanks for the tips! I need to check my mirrors more as well. I didn’t even know what happen till after I got hit.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
What John said, I also always stay in gear so if I need to move it can happen quickly. When watching drivers approaching I will sometimes bounce my foot on the rear brake to make it flash. A broken rib is no fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have Ford Sync with 911 assist?
No the 2007 focus was too early for that technology. My call log stated I called my dad and 911 as soon as it happened but I have no recollection of that. I remember the impact and not understanding what exactly happened. I tried to start the car and move off the road but it wouldn’t start. I then tried getting out but both front doors were stuck from the impact. Luckily the passenger door I was able to open and then kick the rest of the way to get out.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Wow, Glad you're more or less OK. Distracted driver? Should be arrested for that shit.
Stay safe brother.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m unaware if the girl who hit me was distracted or if any one was issued any citations. Judging off how hard I was hit and the fact I was almost to a complete stop that the girl who hit me was either distracted or drunk. When I got out of the car the girl came up to me crying and apologizing tho.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
How ya feeling today?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My left side still hurts like hell when I move around. But I can move around a lot easier today then the past days. Neck knees and arms feel much better. I’m sure this issue with my ribs is going to stick around for awhile. Hoping I heel up soon so I can go back to work and ride my bike. Literally just put new sprockets and a chain on it a few hours before this happened and now I can even ride it lol

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
Yeah, take it slow, it is faster. If you get out there too early you just hurt yourself more and take longer to heal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know. I’ve been resting the past two days and continue to do so today. I keep going out to the garage tho and just stare at my bike 😂 fire her up let her run for bit. Tell her I’m sorry I can’t ride her 😭

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
I understand.

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
I sure hope you got checked out as that would answer your question about your ribs, etc as well as document your injuries. The person on that hit you is on the hook for the medical bills. That you don't remember the accident and your forehead injury is concerning.

I've been through the rib thing and I can guess that you will be sleeping upright for at least a month, and still feeling it into the second month.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Glad that you weren't more seriously hurt and that your kids were not in the backseat that would have been bad. Like the others said take your time healing up and you will actually heal quicker! #nosetbacks!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
"distracted driver who was doing around 50-60mph"
Your pics suggest a road with a 30 or 35 MPH speed limit. The cops may not have been interested but computers on newer cars can play back what the speed was at the time of an accident.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"distracted driver who was doing around 50-60mph"
Your pics suggest a road with a 30 or 35 MPH speed limit. The cops may not have been interested but computers on newer cars can play back what the speed was at the time of an accident.
The speed limit on that service drive is 50mph

·
Registered
388 Posts
"When I got out of the car the girl came up to me crying and apologizing tho."
That sounds like distracted instead of drunk. Texting?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts