Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took off the spocket cover. After I re installed it and was putting the clutch cable back on the rush rod lever it seemed like I pushed it too hard and now it won't even disengage the clutch. Kinda like somthing broke. Can you push the main clutch push rod too hard?

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
I took off the spocket cover. After I re installed it and was putting the clutch cable back on the rush rod lever it seemed like I pushed it too hard and now it won't even disengage the clutch. Kinda like somthing broke. Can you push the main clutch push rod too hard?
Yes.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
You are going to have to re-do the major clutch adjustment (clutch rod adjustment) which is a ROYAL BITCH to get right.

Afterwards, you will need to pump the clutch lever several times to get oil working back and forth in the plates to get it to disengage properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
clutch rod adjustment

You are going to have to re-do the major clutch adjustment (clutch rod adjustment) which is a ROYAL BITCH to get right.

Afterwards, you will need to pump the clutch lever several times to get oil working back and forth in the plates to get it to disengage properly.
I'm in the same situation after replacing front sprocket and reinstalling the sprocket cover. Clutch won't disengage.

Would appreciate any help in getting instructions on clutch rod adjustment quoted above. Many thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
I'm in the same situation after replacing front sprocket and reinstalling the sprocket cover. Clutch won't disengage.

Would appreciate any help in getting instructions on clutch rod adjustment quoted above. Many thanks!
Take the cover off and find out what you did wrong. The clutch does not go out of adjustment just by taking off the cover.

I forgot just what goes wrong on assembly, but I seem to remember that the cam that pushes the clutch rod can get turned around?

Either way, you need to pull the cover off again and check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RV6john, thanks for response. I have taken the cover off several times and reinstalled and now don't think it has anything to do with adjustment as everything perfectly fine before I removed sprocket cover and have made no changes since. The cam that pushes rod replaced exactly as before.

The clutch seems to be stuck in the engaged position (as when you pull back clutch lever when shifting) The push rod seems that it won't return to disengage. When pushing the push rod in, it just comes to a stop. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Also, clutch cable has much more slack than it did before I removed sprocket cover perhaps owing to failure of rod to return?

Can't help but think something is stuck and maybe there's an easy way to fix aside from pulling clutch apart.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
ok lets get some more information. Why do you think the clutch is not disengaging? Are you on a stand and the wheel still spins? How long has the bike been sitting around? Pull off the oil fill plug and visually look at the movement of the clutch when you pull and realease it. What do you see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok lets get some more information. Why do you think the clutch is not disengaging? Are you on a stand and the wheel still spins? How long has the bike been sitting around? Pull off the oil fill plug and visually look at the movement of the clutch when you pull and realease it. What do you see.
:smash:

My apologies. Really dumb on my part. I hadn't gone as far as I should have in finishing up attaching the cable to the arm before I panicked. Pushing the rod with your finger is not the same as pushing the rod with cable attached with all the added leverage from the clutch lever.

(Clutch basket viewed from oil fill plug shows nice movement when lever pulled)

All is well. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm having a problem with this now. I removed the front sprocket cover and got all the components disconnected. Cleaned everything up, put it all back together, thought I had the clutch right, then when I went to move the bike I felt the clutch and it was a lot harder to pull than before. I tore everything back down and can't figure this out. I have the sprocket cover. The piece that punches the clutch rod is seated correctly, or I believe it is since it is flush against the flat side of the rotating piece in the sprocket cover that is controlled by the clutch cable. The problem is that once I get everything connected there is no tension on the cable. I need some help guys

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
Got it. Over tightened cover...

Not to burst your bubble, but you really can't overtighten the cover. It sits metal to metal.

(obviously you can overtighten the bolts and break, strip them or crack the cover, but I don't think you mean that)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but you really can't overtighten the cover. It sits metal to metal.

(obviously you can overtighten the bolts and break, strip them or crack the cover, but I don't think you mean that)
The more I tighten the cover more pressure is being applied to the pushrod it seems. I finally had to sit there and constantly squeez the clutch lever as I was tightening the bolts to make sure I didn't over do it. Otherwise I'm not sure what is wrong. I know everything came off right and everything went back on correctly, or at least in the correct spot. The pushrod is just giving me Hell. I finally buttoned it up, adjusted my cable, put her clothes back on, and said eff it. I was too annoyed to do anything else yesterday and I don't have a clue what I could do differently today

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
If the covers screws are not fully tight, they will loosen and fall out.

May I suggest you take it to the dealer so they can fix it correctly.

It will be cheaper then the tow bill in the future.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If the covers screws are not fully tight, they will loosen and fall out.

May I suggest you take it to the dealer so they can fix it correctly.

It will be cheaper then the tow bill in the future.
Yep. There now. I can't wait to hear where I muffed up the simple job

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
Yep. There now. I can't wait to hear where I muffed up the simple job

I would also appreciate knowing.

There have been a half dozen posts like yours in the last couple of years. They are told to recheck their work and never post up what went wrong.

I've never had the problem, but I might just be lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
It's a different year, but when I pull my sprocket cover, I always pull the push rod almost all the way out. Just leaving it in enough so that it stays put. That way, I can align it with the cam system properly.

To anyone having this problem, I would suggest pulling the push rod, sticking it in the cover all by itself and actuating it by hand so you can see what it's doing. Most of the time, it's just installation/assembly error.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mech couldn't even tell me what was wrong. Everything was where it should be and none of my screws were loose. He couldn't explain why "over tightening" the first time caused too much pressure on the pushrod.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts