Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I want to take my "Show" bike to the track, and if the inevitable crash happens I don't want to lose 5+ grand in stuff to the cement rash...

so I was thinking.... If I took all my carbon fiber fairings off, c/fiber windscreen off, mirrors off, and ride it street fighter style (or maybe get race fairings but im not sure why bothering if you can just street fighter style it with frame sliders)

If I lowside it i'd be looking at new sliders, engine cases , and possibly the tail subframe getting scratched up correct?

I have a swingarm and frame covers, as well as engine case covers for both sides in c/fiber. So couldn't I just put my fairings back on, and these covers back on and all the damage from a lowside would be covered/not visable?

Do you think this would be possible / work?

I would just get a trackbike but I could only afford a cheaper one.. I want to use a newer bike, MY bike .

·
Registered
272 Posts
Next time, before you dump 3 grand into parts... wait, wasn't it 6 grand? Before dumping 6k into parts, maybe dump $3,500 into a k5 or k6 track bike.

You take something to the track you're afraid of banging up, you're going to have a crappy time. That, and be prepared for a good bit of snickering. Now, take into account you'll probably want tires. Street tires suck, plain and simple. NOW you need either a spare set of wheels, or get your wheels scratched up changing tires. Not to mention, most tracks require you to either remove or tape all lenses. More time wasted. Best make sure they don't want safety cable on the bolts, too. You take the class yet? Tracks won't let you out without the class. Two piece leathers that zip together, gotta have those. Seen a few that won't let you have your kickstand. Better check that... AND, I'm not so sure you can run "street fighter" on all tracks. Seems I remember a stipulation in the rules at a few tracks about having fairings.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Awww, come on. I absolutely love passing the kids with thousands of dollars of "upgrades" with my bone stock 600 that still has the gargantuan rear fender, complete with my license plate at the tracks that allow it. The only thing better is when they're riding literbikes.

As for the street fighter thing, there are lots of guys who do it, but I wouldn't. When you get fast enough the wind blast is ferocious. Even on a relatively short straight like Barber I am getting up to about 130 (guessing - there's no way in the world I am going to look down at my speedo with Turn 1 coming up that fast, but I've been in 4th gear for a few seconds at that point...) and I'm just mid-pack Intermediate.

Like the guy above said, if you're too scared to crash, you will not have nearly as much fun. Not only that, but you're more likely to end up crashing if you're concentrating too much on it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
leave it all on there. thats why you bought it remember. its lighter weight so you can go even faster!!!!!!!!!!! settles it, you're the biggest poser ever!!!!!! Congrats :thumbup::clap:

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
I would hope that the tracks you ride require you to have a bellypan/lower that holds at least 4qts of fluid in case you lose a drain plug. Steet fighters are frowned upon on the track unless it has a lower that will hold fluid AND don't try to ziptie an aluminum turkey pan to the bike....don't laugh, it's been done more than once.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
alright so track fairings it is.

Also Guilty if I wanted a seperate bike for the track i'd buy one. I already know you have to cover lenses and have full leather to pass tech inspection. Yes I've taken the course, ive been riding for a few years.
I'd like to ride my suzuki there.

Thanks you da man i'll end up getting race fairings , and maybe an engine rail.

The reason i'm even asking this stuff is so I can ride WITHOUT being worried about wrecking, if I take precautions for a future wreck then I can ride without worrying about rashing up expensive parts.

In guilty's post he posted one piece of information I didn't already know, that your rims will get scratched to hell due to tire changings - Is this true? If you have to replace your rims (if you want them looking good when your not at the track) then I will probably have to go for a track bike

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
When you have a street bike AND a track bike (paid off) with some spare parts laying in garage, THEN you'll ride with confidence. Track bike are disposible...sort of.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
leave it all on there. thats why you bought it remember. its lighter weight so you can go even faster!!!!!!!!!!! settles it, you're the biggest poser ever!!!!!! Congrats :thumbup::clap:

Oh your opinion!! What would I do without it.

Get over it - I put carbon fiber on because I LIKE IT. It has NOTHING TO DO with performance. It doesn't state my skill level or have anything to do with it. Your just hating, when you have money and you get to buy things you like maybe you'll get over hating on everyone. When I think about how miserable someone would have to be to continously bash someone on a forum due to MODS they've done to their bike it amazes me.. You must be a miserable person - You know what's funny? Its very likely Ive owned more bikes then you, and ridden longer then you.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Next time, before you dump 3 grand into parts... wait, wasn't it 6 grand? Before dumping 6k into parts, maybe dump $3,500 into a k5 or k6 track bike.

I would of , but you see... I didn't want a SEPERATE bike for the track. I wanted the mods I put on my bike, thats why I bought them. If I wanted a track bike that isn't my GSXR I would of bought a track bike.

Thanks though -

You guys can disagree with how I spent my money that's completely fine, but I'll continue to spend it how I want. I don't change what I like just because some people disagree with it. If I did then I would be a "poser" or whatever Bracan keeps calling me.

See, if I put $3,500 into a track bike Guilty, wouldn't I be a poser? As I've NEVER been to the track yet. Also wouldn't it be stupid to buy a track bike before trying out a day at the track? Atleast one day...

If this doesn't make sense to you guys then I just guess we do not think alike at all in anyway. I'll go on asking questions when I need help, and skip thru Bracan's post of daily jealous/hate.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
As a track junkie, semi-active racer, and former track instructor...I would never call a trackday noob a poser for showing up with a setup track bike for his/her first day. That is one of the biggest hangups for first time track riders. They're thinking, "Oh shit, if I crash this bike I still got $X,XXX until it's paid off and this is my only bike". Personally, you'd probably get a tiny bit more respect from other noobs with street bikes.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Oh your opinion!! What would I do without it.

Get over it - I put carbon fiber on because I LIKE IT. It has NOTHING TO DO with performance. It doesn't state my skill level or have anything to do with it. Your just hating, when you have money and you get to buy things you like maybe you'll get over hating on everyone. When I think about how miserable someone would have to be to continously bash someone on a forum due to MODS they've done to their bike it amazes me.. You must be a miserable person - You know what's funny? Its very likely Ive owned more bikes then you, and ridden longer then you.
I doubt by the nature of almost all of your questions you have been riding long at all (ie.. your thread about frontstands). Do what you want to your bike but I remember you said the skelitor chick in your avatar was your EX. Maybe theres a reason for it. Instead of getting that carbon fiber case cover your masterbating about... wait a bit and take her to dinner and a movie.

I have spent over $4k in mods and 2 paint jobs but I have the same girl by my side that was there when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As a track junkie, semi-active racer, and former track instructor...I would never call a trackday noob a poser for showing up with a setup track bike for his/her first day. That is one of the biggest hangups for first time track riders. They're thinking, "Oh shit, if I crash this bike I still got $X,XXX until it's paid off and this is my only bike". Personally, you'd probably get a tiny bit more respect from other noobs with street bikes.

I can understand that , you da man, thats why I'm going to get what I need to not have to worry about wrecking. I owe nothing, but I would rather have it down to frame sliders, or race rails and race fairings getting messed up , rather then my street set of fairings

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I doubt by the nature of almost all of your questions you have been riding long at all (ie.. your thread about frontstands). Do what you want to your bike but I remember you said the skelitor chick in your avatar was your EX. Maybe theres a reason for it. Instead of getting that carbon fiber case cover your masterbating about... wait a bit and take her to dinner and a movie.

I have spent over $4k in mods and 2 paint jobs but I have the same girl by my side that was there when I bought the bike.
Uhh Im in my current relationship of 2 1/2 years, but what the hell does that have to do with ANYTHING? Lmfao

Ok so your girlfriend has been with you during you modding your bike.

Have we come down to posting non-related random shit? You trying to prove you have a bigger e-penis then me? LOL What is even more hilarious is how you try to relate an engine case to a relationship.

Oh my god I give up with you guys. I'll just filter thru people like you and read the actual helpful posts.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
That and there thinking that every one is going to laughing at them or talking about them.... so the better/more experienced track peps will do everything they can to make them feel more comfortable/confident so that they will learn more and be SAFER for them and YOU...

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
That and there thinking that every one is going to laughing at them or talking about them.... so the better/more experienced track peps will do everything they can to make them feel more comfortable/confident so that they will learn more and be SAFER for them and YOU...
True, I've helped numerous first time trackday riders with new (new to them anyways) track bikes that have never ridden them yet. At the track I'm pretty serious when I arrive with equipment/tools/conveniences so new track riders usually are comfortable approaching me with questions. You can usually spot the noobs just by the way the unload their bikes.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
lol yep and that will be me again this year.... havent been on a track since 91... so ill be looking for the guy that is set up like what Iv seen the pics of yours.... MAN I CANT WAIT!!!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
infact gonna try to make Jennings this weekend:bounce not ride tho jst to try to familiarize my self with track days and to watch a few peps I know that are doing a track day to prep for a race out at searspoint

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
lol yep and that will be me again this year.... havent been on a track since 91... so ill be looking for the guy that is set up like what Iv seen the pics of yours.... MAN I CANT WAIT!!!!
I just got my leathers back from getting my name on the back...I'm gonna shave at least 2 seconds off my laptimes just because of that.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
:laughingr:laughingr:laughingr:laughingr:laughingr

Heay bro i have some K&N stickers that I can send ya I hear that there good for like 2 more hp per sticker... ooor wait is it 2 sec faster:headscrat:headscrat mmmm anyway there yours bro!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.