Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have an 05 GSXR 750. My fuel strainer needed to be cleaned so I disassembled the pump and I put everything back together (Which I’ve done before without issue). But for some reason everytime I flip down the ignition switch the fuel pump wouldn’t prime and I’d blow a fuel fuse, obviously something wasn’t right. So I took my fuel pump back apart and I found that the red wire got pinched and exposed some wire. I fixed this issue and made sure all the wires were secure (since they’re sitting in fuel it sounded like a good idea lol). I put my bike back together and bam! My bike primed like it should, I wasn’t blowing any fuses I THOUGHT I figured it out!:) Nope. Now I turn on the bike like I always do, the fuel pump primes, I pull in the clutch and press the starter button. Instead of starting the starter button is acting as a manual fuel pump primer?? I’ll include a video (I think the link will work, if not I could send it another way if anyone knows how to help) but anyone have any clue? Video

·
SuperMod of the North
27,249 Posts
Weird. All fuses are good? A was normal before the filter work?

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Normal operation.
The pump will cycle (prime is a misnomer) for a few seconds when the ignition and kill switch are first turned on.
It will run continuously as long as the starter button is pressed. (if it didn't run, the bike would not run)
It then runs continuously when the bike is running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was anyone able to view the video? I tried my best to describe the situation but the video makes it a lot easier to understand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird. All fuses are good? A was normal before the filter work?
Yup! All the fuses were just fine, I cleaned the strainer on the fuel pump and then it started blowing fuel fuses everytime I flipped the red ignition switch. I fixed this though when I found the exposed wire on the fuel pump. Now it’s just priming consistently whenever I touch the starter button

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Normal operation.
The pump will cycle (prime is a misnomer) for a few seconds when the ignition and kill switch are first turned on.
It will run continuously as long as the starter button is pressed. (if it didn't run, the bike would not run)
It then runs continuously when the bike is running.
What’s happening to my bike definitely isn’t a normal operation

·
SuperMod of the North
27,249 Posts
So it is not cranking then? Check your clutch switch and side stand switch? Perhaps also go through the wiring on the ground side and make sure you didn't cook a connector or wire when you blew those fuses.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Instead of starting the starter button is acting as a manual fuel pump primer??
This is the normal operation I spoke of. If there is starter issue, you don't state that problem.

No I did not download your video.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Starter relay may be in question. The start button won't do anything if an interlock is engaged (other than turn off the headlight). Signal is obviously getting to the ECM, so making sure the power from the push of the button is getting to the relay, and then the relay is energizing and sending power to the starter is where you need to look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starter relay may be in question. The start button won't do anything if an interlock is engaged (other than turn off the headlight). Signal is obviously getting to the ECM, so making sure the power from the push of the button is getting to the relay, and then the relay is energizing and sending power to the starter is where you need to look.
Any links or something I can follow step by step on how to do this? I’m new to working on my bike so this is all just learn as I go. I appreciate the help

·
SuperMod of the North
27,249 Posts
You can download a service manual at carlsalter.com. It will help a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts