Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please explain to me what hes doing in better detail. When you rev-match downshift it counters the back end stepping out. I suppose if you downshift three times really quickly before you scrub off speed it'll do it but...still not quite getting it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Red,
Thank you for posting that. I have never seen this interview, and will watch more of that series when I"m done with this post! I really like how he candidly explains things.
I listened intently, and feel I understand what he is trying to describe.
IIRC, he wasn't using a quickshift- downshifter- like probably all do now. I could be mistaken.

Unlike Stoner, that seemed to step the rear out on every corner- very successful rider I might add;
MM is describing he tries not to do that. He described rev-matching and using the clutch, probably keeping it pulled in a lot of the time, so the back tire would not be going so much slower than the front that it would slide/step out.

You said:
'When you rev-match downshift it counters the back end stepping out.'

Rev-matching attempts to keep the wheel speed up, so as your braking for a corner, the rear is not going so much slower than the front that it slides from skidding as I said.

Slipper clutches also attempt to get the back wheel from skidding as much on deceleration, that is the purpose of the 'slipper clutch'. The 'slipper' portion is adjustable some, and some actually get rid of it various ways. I have one OEM on my K5, and know I don't use it to it's full potential. Mainly because I don't race and I'm an old family man, who often does go for 'spirited country rides'

HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red,
Thank you for posting that. I have never seen this interview, and will watch more of that series when I"m done with this post! I really like how he candidly explains things.
I listened intently, and feel I understand what he is trying to describe.
IIRC, he wasn't using a quickshift- downshifter- like probably all do now. I could be mistaken.

Unlike Stoner, that seemed to step the rear out on every corner- very successful rider I might add;
MM is describing he tries not to do that. He described rev-matching and using the clutch, probably keeping it pulled in a lot of the time, so the back tire would not be going so much slower than the front that it would slide/step out.

You said:
'When you rev-match downshift it counters the back end stepping out.'

Rev-matching attempts to keep the wheel speed up, so as your braking for a corner, the rear is not going so much slower than the front that it slides from skidding as I said.

Slipper clutches also attempt to get the back wheel from skidding as much on deceleration, that is the purpose of the 'slipper clutch'. The 'slipper' portion is adjustable some, and some actually get rid of it various ways. I have one OEM on my K5, and know I don't use it to it's full potential. Mainly because I don't race and I'm an old family man, who often does go for 'spirited country rides'

HTH
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but couldn't wrap my head around it. After that final downshift I guess instead of rev-matching and risking inconsistent brake pressure, hes letting the slipper do the work and after the last downshift, hes adding rpm and slipping the clutch manually. I could be wrong. Great choice of a bike though! I have a red K6 myself!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, we have a few of the same mods! Flash, same filter, same tire except I'm +2 in the rear! Aside from a ported head and cam kit for hard highway pulls and I'm gp shifting as well! Way to be 😉

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Rear wheel wanting 12000 RPM out of the engine, engine turning at 4000 RPM. Input throttle and bring the engine to 8000. You just cut the differential in half. Basically, this is a what a slipper clutch is doing. Watch some of these guys on the 1000cc modern bikes. Slipper clutches and autoblippers. They'll hit the front brake and drop all the way to 3rd without any care in the world. You can actually watch the RPMs raise, drop then jump up and start dropping again as the slipper re-engages.

Watch Jason Pridmore's videos about race track downshifting. He is a huge advocate for slipping the clutch instead of blipping. You combine keeping the RPMs up with this technique and apparently you're Matt Mladin. I spent most of last season practicing the slipping on downshift. Trying to blip was screwing up my braking consistency and upsetting the chassis. It works pretty well, but I'll need to inspect/replace my clutch after this season (26000 on OEM clutch). Makes me wish I had a slipper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much that was since
Rear wheel wanting 12000 RPM out of the engine, engine turning at 4000 RPM. Input throttle and bring the engine to 8000. You just cut the differential in half. Basically, this is a what a slipper clutch is doing. Watch some of these guys on the 1000cc modern bikes. Slipper clutches and autoblippers. They'll hit the front brake and drop all the way to 3rd without any care in the world. You can actually watch the RPMs raise, drop then jump up and start dropping again as the slipper re-engages.

Watch Jason Pridmore's videos about race track downshifting. He is a huge advocate for slipping the clutch instead of blipping. You combine keeping the RPMs up with this technique and apparently you're Matt Mladin. I spent most of last season practicing the slipping on downshift. Trying to blip was screwing up my braking consistency and upsetting the chassis. It works pretty well, but I'll need to inspect/replace my clutch after this season (26000 on OEM clutch). Makes me wish I had a slipper.
Thank you that was some good detail

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I watched a bunch of that 'series' last night as well. Great stuff.

I'm still Mat Mladin fan, but anyone know what happened with that arrest?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched a bunch of that 'series' last night as well. Great stuff.

I'm still Mat Mladin fan, but anyone know what happened with that arrest?
I've been following up a little bit too. Pretty crazy stuff. Wonder how long it's been going on if its true

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
A quick Google search found this, seemed to be the latest thing on google:

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,700 Posts
Watch Jason Pridmore's videos about race track downshifting. He is a huge advocate for slipping the clutch instead of blipping.
Maybe that's where I got what I do. I do blip somewhat but also feed the clutch out between gears and use engine braking. More of an effect on the SV than on the 750 (which has slipper clutch and I4 vs twin) but I hardly ever just bang all the downshifts at once.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am a blipper... it’s just too cool not to do on track even with a slipper. Sometimes, downshifting to 10+k rpm will make the rear squirrely. The slipper will fix that. Blipping on streets, you are just not turning high enough rpms to make it smooth. If u are, you are gonna attract too much attention.

Makes me wish I had a slipper.
If u decide on plunking down $’s. Get a Suter. Superbike unlimited will have them on sale but still $800+. Ocassionally eBay will have a $50 off coupon, but it’s hit or miss. You might need new clutch fibers and steels of correct thickness to get the clutch pack thickness within spec. It’s definitely a project, but rewarding.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Whenever I need to remind myself how cool blipping can be, I watch this video.

They do make an autoblipper for our bikes... much more involved since we don’t have ride by wire until the recent 1000.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have rev matched for years in all my vehicles. It's become habit now and I can't downshift without it. You need to know how to do it to drive a big rig but all my cars and bikes it just happens now. I haven't gotten the hang of my Gixxer yet but considering I have under 500km on it right now and the gears are super close together thats understandable. Doesn't matter if im at 5K or 12K I used to do it on my ninja silky smooth. It's kind of rewarding to do it perfect

1 - 15 of 15 Posts