Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K5 600. approximately 14,000 miles. Last 2 k or so I've noticed a very strong exhaust odor compared to usual (smells like heavy fuel). Very heavy soot has begun to deposit around the exhaust tip. No visible smoke, though. Performance is as usual. I've been monitoring oil level, don't see any problems. Monitoring coolant level as well, no change. Pulled air box to replace the plugs and noticed a very apparent residue around the intake boots of the 3rd and 4th cylinders where the throttle bodies mount. 1st and 2nd, completely clean. *SEE PICTURES*

My first inclination was that since both the 3rd and 4th intake pipes had residue (or a leak) around them, that the throttle body clamp was not tight, since both 3rd and 4th share the same clamp screw, as do the 1st and second.
Pulled all the plugs, none seemed wet or had any oil on them, although; the 3rd and 4th looked a bit dirtier/more burnt.
Replaced the plugs and tightened the throttle body clamp of the 3rd and 4th tighter (did tighten much firmer than it was - I have never touched this,though, since bike was bought new). I was able to clean the residue from my exhaust tip nicely. Started bike with new plugs. Very quickly, did not notice strong exhaust odor as previously! Rode the bike for 500 to 600 miles and began to notice the strong exhaust smell again (smells like very rich fuel - no noticeable smoke, though). Heavy soot began to accumulate around the exhaust tip again. Pulled the nearly new plugs to take another look at them, all 4 barely darkened at sparks end - all looked even. No signs of any wetness or anything on them, all bone dry.
The one thing I did not do after tightening the 3rd/4th throttle body clams, was to clean the residue off them. I should have, because them I could have seen if it re-appeared (I'm doing that know:)).

Anyway, why is this residue there. What is this a sign of? I did also notice that the secondary throttle valves of the 3rd and 4th did have and oily residue on them, whereas; the second and third did not - they are dry to fingers swipe - dry), yet looking all the way down into the 3rd and 4th intakes I do not see any residue more than in the 1st and second. ?? I have not yet pulled the throttle bodies to look at the o-rings. Could this be my problem. Do my 3rd and 4th o-rings need replacement? I have not noticed any engine performance issues, though. What is going on here? The residue you can see in the pix is very apparent on the 3rd and 4th. What is going on here?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*CORRECTION TO ORIGINAL POST* (had a few beers)

"I did also notice that the secondary throttle valves of the 3rd and 4th did have and oily residue on them, whereas; the second and third did not - they are dry to fingers swipe - dry)"

CORRECTION:

"I did also notice that the secondary throttle valves of the 3rd and 4th did have and oily residue on them, whereas; the 1st and 2nd did not - they are dry to fingers swipe - dry)"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.