Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to buy an ecu for a 2006 gsxr 600
And honestly ive had people ask me to send it as friends and family , ive even said i would pay extra money to not have to send it as such there is no protection there at all and most people should know that already , and they never respond after that . So can anyone tell me who has an ecu , that people have delt with before and that others can vouch for or do i just have to go through ebay to get my stuff ?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
And honestly ive had people ask me to send it as friends and family , ive even said i would pay extra money to not have to send it as such there is no protection there at all and most people should know that already , and they never respond after that . So can anyone tell me who has an ecu , that people have delt with before and that others can vouch for or do i just have to go through ebay to get my stuff ?
Unfortunately there has been an influx of scammers on the forums lately. My advice, only buy off people who are regularly on the board. You can click on the names of people and see how long they have been on and how many posts they have.

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
Mike if you would let me or another mod know when you are getting these PM’s it would be appreciated. You can simply copy me in. Scammers have taken to PMs to work their magic because mods can’t see it. If he is not legit we can press the magic button.

·
Registered
783 Posts
"had people ask me to send it as friends and family"
Please elaborate. It sounds like you're sending it rather than receiving.

There used to be some Indian goofs posting here and I remember complaining about them. But they were knocked off fairly quickly. They were posting using the same names on other forums and I also reported them to those webmasters. One got back to me and said that they tend to block all communications from India. I guess the same thing might apply to Nigeria.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"had people ask me to send it as friends and family"
Please elaborate. It sounds like you're sending it rather than receiving.

There used to be some Indian goofs posting here and I remember complaining about them. But they were knocked off fairly quickly. They were posting using the same names on other forums and I also reported them to those webmasters. One got back to me and said that they tend to block all communications from India. I guess the same thing might apply to Nigeria.
there was someone here who sent me a
Contact info for someone else andni did contact the person
And was messaging back and fourth a price was agreed and i said how do i pay guy says can you send it as friends and family , i immidiatly tell the guy no i cant do that i will pay extra to not have to do that . Nothing but crickets after that but up until that point it was a ping pong conversation . Heres another guy hopefully mot part of this group i asked for id he provided that , i asked for a
Picture of himself he provided that too but when i asked for a photo of him and the id in the same photo he said no , the facebook account was registered by a woman he said it was his kid and spelled their name wrong then later in the convo i mentioned her again and he put question marks so i look up the iser and she was from
Nigeria so the last effort to get a angry response was awarded wish i could post photos of these guys hopefully everyone is as cautious as me when it comes to $$$$$

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
It was In fact Nigeria in this case and he is no longer an issue. Some sites do ban whole IP ranges from Nigeria or other hot spots but they usually use a proxy to look like they are local in the states and circumvent the filters. You do Barr other legit members than as well when you exclude a whole region.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Yeah, the smart scammers will use one or more VPNs anyways. Maybe the scammer was in the US and proxied the connection through Nigeria. The point is you can’t really accurately pinpoint someone by IP address unless they’re idiots and are just using their ISP connection.

·
Registered
783 Posts
There's a guy on Youtube who goes by the name Pleasant Green. Many of his videos are about Nigerian scammers. I'm unaware of the details but he creates Grabify links that reveal the scammer's location and device when the scammer clicks on them. Don't know what the implications of this are if VPN's are involved. See this, for example.

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
We have a screen as mods that will show the IP addresses the person used to help us find scammers. Admins can see their registration IP. Most use proxies to appear in the major US cities. It is common to see Nigeria as the registration proxy then US for subsequent log ins. I have seen them grab proxies close to who ever they are trying to scam to appear local as well. I haven't played with Grabify, it involves a bit of white hat work and I don't have a dedicated computer for that but I am setting one up and may shortly. I am an admin on another VS site as well and the admin tools aren't very powerful, I'd like to have a little more in the arsenal to deal with these guys.

VS doesn;t want to block whole IP ranges from countries that are spam hot spots because it can greatly cut the traffic to the site. It might not be as pertinent here as we don't get many people from Nigeria with GSXRs but the other site deals with lower cc bikes of all makes and the Philippines and Asia have a ton of them.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I guess you tried to get the ECU from Ebay/FleaBay?
Usually the sellers have ratings, etc. There is some protection, and I feel I have some protection using PayPal also?

Good luck

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
I guess you tried to get the ECU from Ebay/FleaBay?
Usually the sellers have ratings, etc. There is some protection, and I feel I have some protection using PayPal also?

Good luck
No, he got PMs here from a member offering what he was looking for. Scammers are using the forum PMs to contact and run their scams because mods and admins can't see PMs on members profiles. We would pick them off quick in the open forum. Anyone who gets fishy PMs should copy in a mod or PM us to check out the user if we can before they agree to anything.

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
No, he got PMs here from a member offering what he was looking for. Scammers are using the forum PMs to contact and run their scams because mods and admins can't see PMs on members profiles. We would pick them off quick in the open forum. Anyone who gets fishy PMs should copy in a mod or PM us to check out the user if we can before they agree to anything.
Now I understand the thinking behind at least 25 posts and a month of membership before you could PM somebody on the previous platform.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Members not trust worthy ?

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Well, I could think of a few running around here maybe .....LOL

J/K! The regulars around here are one awesome bunch!

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
Now I understand the thinking behind at least 25 posts and a month of membership before you could PM somebody on the previous platform.
Yeah. We used to have 25 posts and 30 days membership to post in the classifieds but it just caused a lot of post whoring so it was eventually dropped VS wide and re-instated on sites that needed it. Our classifieds are not busy so hasn't been an issue. There have been several conversations with VS on OneFora about the wisdom of changing the PM requirements. Maybe we should discuss in Area 51.

·
Professional Rick Roller
1,061 Posts
I didn't realize the 25 post/30 days rule didn't apply anymore. I always thought it was a very good rule.
It did cause post whoring but helped weed out members who were just trying to sell shit and weren't a vendor. They would usually get tired of all the road blocks and just move on eventually.

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
I didn't realize the 25 post/30 days rule didn't apply anymore. I always thought it was a very good rule.
It did cause post whoring but helped weed out members who were just trying to sell shit and weren't a vendor. They would usually get tired of all the road blocks and just move on eventually.
It was fun watching some get all butt hurt when they would make 50 one word posts in half an hour then get told they had been removed and also needed 30 days. The ensuing rant about how stupid it was usually involved bashing a mod and they were shortly there after removed. Entertaining as hell though.

·
Alpha Canuck
28,590 Posts
Before I was a mod I would flag stuff. After a while I would just PM JP cause it was much more fun if I ensured he got to it first. I am 90% sure the only reason he made me a mod was to stop me from PMing him. He was the master.

Ah Hell, lets see if he still has his notifications on, perhaps we can summon him. @JohnPaul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ebay isn’t the greatest but they do have financial protection, just look at the feedback from previous buyers. You can also buy ecu from Moore mafia and Brocks I do believe. Worst case you can always go to Sportbiketrackgear.com hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts