Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I ended up buying a k4 600 a week ago (her name is Arya). I rode home down the highway and have put about 300km on her in the last week, i absolutely love how smooth the power is. The change from carbuerated to FI is ca-raaazy.

Last night I was cruising with a friend when I heard a strange sound and felt a sudden tardiness in my acceleration. After some highway throttle play I figured out that one or more of my cylinders was dying at idle and below 5000rpm, but kicked to life above 5500rpm. It's a very specific range, and I can power through the misfire until 5500 where it 'bump starts' and I get all 4 cylinders back. The only light I'm getting is a check oil light. I made it home okay but I was right pissed that something was wrong after having her for only a week.

Today I started the bike and shot some water on the headers, figured out that it is only 1 cylinder that is dying. It starts okay but at about 35 Celsius it dies and my bike sounds like a donkey fart. My buddy thinks that it is a spark plug issue and that's what I've read. I searched for misfire threads and found a fe but most of them are inconclusive.

Any idea what the problem could be? Could it be bad fuel that is clogging an injector? I DID fill up at a local gas station, but why that would only affect 1 cylinder is beyond me.

Contemplated getting it checked out by a mechanic. If there is something fraudulent about it I can still cancel the check that I paid with... don't want it to come to that but i also don't want to get ripped by the seller.

·
Registered
153 Posts
First thing i would do is pull all four spark plugs and see what they look like. I personally would put my money on a bad/worn plug or coil, it doesnt sound like a fuel problem since you said it picks up after 5500rpm or so, usually fuel problems become more evident as the rpms rise. When you pull the plugs i would put new ones in, even if they arent visibly shot, also make sure they are the correct oem plugs, bikes can be pretty damn picky about what they have in them for plugs. pop the plugs out and let us know what you find:hmmm:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took out spark plugs, they all look pretty good. Ones on the right side of the bike are looking a bit wet but the plug for the faulty cylinder is looking normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It starts okay but at about 35 Celsius it dies
So does it start cold ok and run ok until it warms up to 35c on the temp guage? Need to try and work out exactly what it is doing where. Temp/rpm etc

Does it have a PC or similar?

+1 on putting new plugs in while you are there.

Contact the guy you bought it off and ask him, he may have had a problem and thought it was solved and may be able to point you to the problem?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So does it start cold ok and run ok until it warms up to 35c on the temp guage? Need to try and work out exactly what it is doing where. Temp/rpm etc

Does it have a PC or similar?

+1 on putting new plugs in while you are there.

Contact the guy you bought it off and ask him, he may have had a problem and thought it was solved and may be able to point you to the problem?
No PC, just stock fuel control systems.

The issue was that it started alright cold, and idled (a bit low) at about 1200. At 35 degrees celcius on the temp gauge it lost a cylinder, number 1 left side. After that it ran on the other 3 but at 5000rpm cylinder 1 came to life after a sputter or two.

Today I replaced the plugs with the standard NGK CR9Es and started her up no problem. She warmed up past 35 with no stutters, so I adjusted the idle up to about 1500 and it's running perfectly now. I'm glad but I feel like I have just treated a symptom, idealy i would like to figure out what caused the misfiring.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? It seemed to be running a bit rich in the right cylinder because the spark plug was a bit moist (others were dry).

tldr: Issue is fixed, discussing the possible root cause.

Thank you so much for the help folks! It was a simple fix but it was terrifying and I appreciate the help all the same!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I'm having the same issue with 07 GSXR 1000. Right cylinder is wet. I have brand new spark plugs and all coils are firing. What did you do to fix the issue?

·
Super Moderator
9,411 Posts
So I'm having the same issue with 07 GSXR 1000. Right cylinder is wet. I have brand new spark plugs and all coils are firing. What did you do to fix the issue?
Welcome.

It would be very helpful if you start your own thread explaining exactly what is going on with your bike. Otherwise we'll just be guessing what part of the previous 8 year old post applies to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts