Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a chick and bought my first street bike. It was impounded and garage kept for 3 years I have changed my oil the coolant charged the battery it will crank but wont start. Doing all the work myself please help me

·
Premium Member
(Larry)
26 Posts
I'm a chick and bought my first street bike. It was impounded and garage kept for 3 years I have changed my oil the coolant charged the battery it will crank but wont start. Doing all the work myself please help me
Your bike is carbuerated, and the fact its been sitting isnt ideal.

Check your voltage, bikes are particular and if your sitting under 14v at the battery it can cause a starting issue.

If your just looking to get it started and run it I would start by draining your gas and replacing at the minimum If that isn't an option get some seafoam in it either way.

If you continue to have no luck you'll want to verify spark but I would expect to get those carbs rebuilt and the plugs replaced in the near future. Its all in the same area so it's easier to do all of it at the same time. Check for any cracking in your fuel and air lines as well.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Dad Bod Super Mod
27,815 Posts
Mornin Kellie. Basically you need three things - air, fuel, and spark. After sitting fuel can gel and plug the jets in the carbs so it is most likely to be fuel that is missing. As above, some seafoam may help but if it is plugged the carbs will have to be cleaned. That being said, you may want to also check the choke is operating and the fuel petcock is in the right position.

Spark would be second. You should have about 12.5V at the battery with the bike off, 14.5V with it running. Pull a spark plug and have a look at it. Test for spark by plugging the spark plug back into it's wire and holding the tip to the engine block. Crank the bike and look for a spark. ***Only hold the rubber part - they pack a punch, ask my how I know.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Three years isn't too long.
I wouldn't have much hope for the battery.
I would drain the gas and replace it, get a new battery fill it with acid leave it on a trickle charger for at least 12 hours, try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just need some guidance because I have no clue where to even start. I've already got the gas tank propped up but I don't know how to tell if my plugs are firing or not thanks n advance for any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much everybody I'm going to hitthe garage in a few and start this work so if I have any questions will definitely be on here to ask you guys. Thanks for all guidance will keep our updated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts