Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read around on the forum that 01-03 GSXR 600cc engines have identical mounting bolts. So a quick eBay puts me 1700 dollars after shipping in the hole, but hey cheaper then buying new bike.

I've heard as well that you can get 1000cc engines around the same year, 01-04, and getting the notorious 2003 GSXR 1000 engine in my baby would be amazing.
hoping to check with people who have done this before or who know more about the details of putting a 1000cc engine in a 600cc frame.
1. Do 1000 cc engines have the exact same mounting bolt positions? Or will I need a little editing to the frame?
2. What years are best fit for mounting/engine size?
3. should I not even bother with a 1000cc?
4. anyone on the 750 train?

Many question, so much time, and such beautiful weather here in Utah :(
Any incite would be apricated.

Flame me bois! I wanna feel the sting of your comments for messing up this beautiful bike.

She's dead Jim.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive engine gasket Auto part
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Automotive exterior

·
Mod of the North
29,829 Posts
Ooof. I have never done this swap but believe it is doable. If I recall the 1000 is physically bigger but does shoe horn in. You may need to alter mounts, I do t think it is a bolt in swap. Someone else can come along and confirm.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take the piston out and make it a triple... ;)

Any idea how that happened, on one cylinder?

The 1000 was a completely different frame, different gearbox too (is the sproket in the right place?), you might struggle, but I think 750 was just a 600 with bigger bore. (Or I should say, the 600 was a 750 with a smaller bore? ;) ) Maybe 'that'?

1000s are overrated anyway, 750 is the ideal ....(.... lights fuse, stands back .... :devilish: )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not 100% sure, valve broke off and got chewed. But the other valves look untouched, so I'm pretty positive it wasn't timing. Might have just been its time, maybe one was sticky. Who knows.

1000s are overrated anyway, 750 is the ideal ....(.... lights fuse, stands back .... :devilish: )
This be true. 750 is probably to move, especially if they are the same engine with a different bore. Would make mounting much easier.

Side question I just thought about. Can I tune a 600cc ECU to 750? or do I have to get a new ECU and fuel injectors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not 100% sure, valve broke off and got chewed. But the other valves look untouched, so I'm pretty positive it wasn't timing. Might have just been its time, maybe one was sticky. Who knows.

This be true. 750 is probably to move, especially if they are the same engine with a different bore. Would make mounting much easier.

Side question I just thought about. Can I tune a 600cc ECU to 750? or do I have to get a new ECU and fuel injectors.
Yeah was going to mention the ECU. I'd be asking for the ECU with an engine deal, mapping would be quite different.

Check on a parts directory for the injectors, see if they match up for the years. Or just get the whole throttle housing included in an engine deal too.

·
Super Moderator
1995 GSX-R 750
2,121 Posts
YIKES ! ! !
Now THAT is some carnage right there. I would look into a used head, and a piston & rings, Just to compare price out of pocket. Otherwise, as stated above, go with a 750 of the same generation. Harness should be the same then, and don't have to worry about changing too much. Well, accept the ECU. You likely could get yours flashed to do the same job, but likely easier to get it in a deal with the engine. Good luck with this one!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take the piston out and make it a triple... ;)

The 1000 was a completely different frame, different gearbox too (is the sproket in the right place?), you might struggle, but I think 750 was just a 600 with bigger bore. (Or I should say, the 600 was a 750 with a smaller bore? ;) ) Maybe 'that'?

I'll add some gasoline to the fire.........................

PERSONALLY, I love the 750. I have said it many times here. The 1k is really unusable on the street. (I don't care how good you are or where you ride ) Unless it's on a track NOONE will see the full potential of a 1k.
That said, the 750 motor is the pick, I have heard but never seen a 6/7 conversion. The 1k motor isn't gonna be a fit and go.

HOLY SHIT what did you do to that motah?!!!

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
125 Posts
Likely a keeper broke and allowed one valve to fall into the cylinder while the engine was turning at high RPM.

Piston contacts valve, valve breaks breaking others before the engine can be shut down.

I’m no expert but am reasonably sure that the 750s from 1996 on are bored/stroked 600s. Prior to 1996 the 600s were sleeved down 750s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts